Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] O/T Preston Park End Of An Era - Mr Shah OUT!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Mr Shah is a Preston Park institution. He has run his shop (Motto: Never Knowingly Underpriced) in Preston Drove for forty years. If you've lived in that area at any point, he'll have formed part of the tapestry of your life. Many's the year his shop has stopped me from starving on Xmas day. But as of yesterday the shop is under new ownership. Will miss the old devil with his Arabic newspaper spread out over the counter, shouting at old ladies not quick enough to get their purse out, while winking at the other customers stood in line. His wheeler dealer son Mo, Financial Times spread out over the counter, heavy duty laptop fired up, is also moving on. And I for one wish them both well. As with the Albion midfield, we mourne their passing.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I for one used to live in that area in the 60s and 70s.

I recall Franklins the newsagents and Dudeneys stores just up past the cross roads. There was also a greengrocer, hardware store and chippie called Potters Plaice.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I for one used to live in that area in the 60s and 70s.

I recall Franklins the newsagents and Dudeneys stores just up past the cross roads. There was also a greengrocer, hardware store and chippie called Potters Plaice.

Not forgetting The Shed where you had to look over 12 to be served with Tartan, McEwans, Newcastle Brown or a bottle of Cinzano. The place to go before the disco/party at the Tennis Club.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Mr Shah is a Preston Park institution. He has run his shop (Motto: Never Knowingly Underpriced) in Preston Drove for forty years. If you've lived in that area at any point, he'll have formed part of the tapestry of your life. Many's the year his shop has stopped me from starving on Xmas day. But as of yesterday the shop is under new ownership. Will miss the old devil with his Arabic newspaper spread out over the counter, shouting at old ladies not quick enough to get their purse out, while winking at the other customers stood in line. His wheeler dealer son Mo, Financial Times spread out over the counter, heavy duty laptop fired up, is also moving on. And I for one wish them both well. As with the Albion midfield, we mourne their passing.

:drama: :p

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Not forgetting The Shed where you had to look over 12 to be served with Tartan, McEwans, Newcastle Brown or a bottle of Cinzano. The place to go before the disco/party at the Tennis Club.

I used to run the disco's and barbecues at Preston Tennis Club, late 70s and early 80s. Whoops, meant to be a reply to post #3

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly

I must, must know you Timothy!!

I used to go to those does..not a tennis player but used meet some very nice girls there!

Brovion

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003

Oh dear! As you say he was a bit of an institution, worth the trek down from Fiveways (and the walk back) as he'd often have stuff that the Co-op doesn't.. When my son was a lad I remember my wife once having a screaming row with him as she thought he'd sort-changed him by 50p. (As part of his 'growing up' she'd sent him inside to buy something whilst she waited outside). It was only later she found he'd spent it on chocolate which he'd put in his pocket to hide from her!

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Oh dear! As you say he was a bit of an institution, worth the trek down from Fiveways (and the walk back) as he'd often have stuff that the Co-op doesn't.. When my son was a lad I remember my wife once having a screaming row with him as she thought he'd sort-changed him by 50p. (As part of his 'growing up' she'd sent him inside to buy something whilst she waited outside). It was only later she found he'd spent it on chocolate which he'd put in his pocket to hide from her!

:lolol:

The Co-op at Five Ways is a nightmare

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
Yes great shop and nice family, always helpful and friendly. Dealing with all the school kids every day must be hard!

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Hmmn that non-descript row of shops. Had cats put down, purchased carpet, enjoyed samosas from Mr Shah; bet at the independent bookies with the fit girl behind the jump. Still occasionally stop off on tother side of Beaconsfield for Red Chillies curry

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Lived in that area?! Not only did I live in that area round the corner from him on Havelock Road 20 years ago - Mr Shah was my landlord! :lolol:

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
Hmmn that non-descript row of shops. Had cats put down, purchased carpet, enjoyed samosas from Mr Shah; bet at the independent bookies with the fit girl behind the jump. Still occasionally stop off on tother side of Beaconsfield for Red Chillies curry

The blonde one?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here