Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton need returns from big buys

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
From The Guardian's 'Premier League: 10 things to look out for this weekend' weekly doodah:

As Glenn Murray continues to do the business for Brighton, his form only exacerbates Chris Hughton’s failure to truly improve his squad. A £60m summer splurge after healthy investment last year has yet to bear fruit. That might be a compliment to the old guard, the likes of Murray, Anthony Knockaert, Beram Kayal and Bruno, but others must step up their game if Brighton are to prosper. Strikers Florin Andone and Jürgen Locadia, signed for a combined £20m, are yet to find the net this season, while Yves Bissouma, a £15m arrival in July has too often looked overwhelmed. Worse still, they are yet to see the real Alireza Jahanbakhsh, their £17m record signing. At least Hughton has recognised as much. “I think it would be fair to say they haven’t hit the levels required yet,” said the Brighton manager, who takes his team to Huddersfield.

It's hard to argue that the new signings haven't done brilliantly but in their defence, including Locadia's, they've barely featured either through injury or being unable to unseat an in-form player. Of the lot I'd say Bissouma has shown the most promise. And the piece says nothing of Bernardo, Montoya or Balogun who look to be good acquisitions.

Full article: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...league-10-things-to-look-out-for-this-weekend

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bissouma - promising but inexperienced
Balogun - looked excellent, agree with [MENTION=25249]Milano[/MENTION]
Andone - promising, needs a proper run in the team at some point
Locadia - jury still out for me
Montoya - solid but we look better when Bruno is playing
Bernardo - thought he looked very good last week
Ali J - not seen the best of him yet

None of the above have had a solid run of games to be able to fully prove their worth IMO

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
From The Guardian's 'Premier League: 10 things to look out for this weekend' weekly doodah:

As Glenn Murray continues to do the business for Brighton, his form only exacerbates Chris Hughton’s failure to truly improve his squad. A £60m summer splurge after healthy investment last year has yet to bear fruit. That might be a compliment to the old guard, the likes of Murray, Anthony Knockaert, Beram Kayal and Bruno, but others must step up their game if Brighton are to prosper. Strikers Florin Andone and Jürgen Locadia, signed for a combined £20m, are yet to find the net this season, while Yves Bissouma, a £15m arrival in July has too often looked overwhelmed. Worse still, they are yet to see the real Alireza Jahanbakhsh, their £17m record signing. At least Hughton has recognised as much. “I think it would be fair to say they haven’t hit the levels required yet,” said the Brighton manager, who takes his team to Huddersfield.

It's hard to argue that the new signings haven't done brilliantly but in their defence, including Locadia's, they've barely featured either through injury or being unable to unseat an in-form player. Of the lot I'd say Bissouma has shown the most promise. And the piece says nothing of Bernardo, Montoya or Balogun who look to be good acquisitions.

Full article: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...league-10-things-to-look-out-for-this-weekend

Exactly ...but I'm pretty sure they will get their chance ...Decemeber for example is a pretty heavy month fixture wise

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bissouma - promising but inexperienced
Balogun - looked excellent, agree with [MENTION=25249]Milano[/MENTION]
Andone - promising, needs a proper run in the team at some point
Locadia - jury still out for me
Montoya - solid but we look better when Bruno is playing
Bernardo - thought he looked very good last week
Ali J - not seen the best of him yet

None of the above have had a solid run of games to be able to fully prove their worth IMO

And it can take players a bit of time to settle in to new surroundings. I agree with you, we have to hope there is more to come and be patient both with the games they're getting and the impact they have when they get a chance.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Bissouma - Great Song but looks a bit like a Forrest Gump sort of a player , give him the ball and he just wants to run with it , without little attention to what's around him , early days but 6/10

Balogun - very impressed every time iv'e seen him play , which is not a lot to be fair but if Duffy or Dunk were out no problems with him deputising , 7/10

Andone - Incredibly robust tank like player who off the ball makes mind bending runs , only for somebody to completely not see them and pass it back to Dunk , lots of promise 7/10

Locadia - I really do think he has the ability to be a good player , our system is always going to be against his style , so basically we have to lose Murray to see the best of him i think 6/10

Montoya - I agree with Dazzer , done nothing wrong but looks a bit timid going forward , just experience but a reliable replacement for Bruno 6/10

Bernardo - Really like him , oozes class and will only get better , nothing against Bong but of the two i'd start Bernardo , just looks more comfortable on the ball and going forward 7/10

Alireza Jahanbakhsh - Biggest disappointment for me , shown glimpses of talent but not enough , also i don't like the way he loses the ball then just trots back , hope i'm wrong 5/10

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Its a difficult one, tomorrow is the sort of game when it would be perfect for Andone to start but unless Murray gets injured or suspended he is scoring goals and we need points against teams in the lower half. The big 6 are almost throwaway games but will be much tougher for new players to be able to show their worth

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Andone - Incredibly robust tank like player who off the ball makes mind bending runs , only for somebody to completely not see them and pass it back to Dunk , lots of promise 7/10

That just about sums up our tactics in general but to give the midfield some credit they are probably not used to anyone making forward runs.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That just about sums up our tactics in general but to give the midfield some credit they are probably not used to anyone making forward runs.

Looked much better first half last week with Propper/Kayal/Gross working together (*awaits flaming for implying leaving Stephens out may be a good thing*)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
This thread only reminds me how incredibly frustrating the game was against Leicester. A man up at half time with a hobbled Murray. I was sure Locadia would come on for 45 minutes to rest Murray with Andone to follow and see us press the 10 men with speed and guile. But no. No attempt to get our big money buys on the pitch until after giving Leicester, with their 10 men, the full pitch do what we should have been doing with our 11. Yes, I'm still angry about it because Locadia looked bloody good in his 6 minutes and Andone looked a touch of class when he came on. We have to stop buying players then letting them get discouraged. A little more squad rotation would not go amiss in my view.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Looked much better first half last week with Propper/Kayal/Gross working together (*awaits flaming for implying leaving Stephens out may be a good thing*)

I shouldn't worry about flaming. The fans around me don't rate Propper or Stephens in equal measure.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Its a difficult one, tomorrow is the sort of game when it would be perfect for Andone to start but unless Murray gets injured or suspended he is scoring goals and we need points against teams in the lower half. The big 6 are almost throwaway games but will be much tougher for new players to be able to show their worth

I'd like to see us have a good tilt at the FA Cup using the new players. If we're not prepared to unseat Murray, for instance, in the league then Andone / Locadia should get their chance to shine in the cup.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Bissouma - Great Song but looks a bit like a Forrest Gump sort of a player , give him the ball and he just wants to run with it , without little attention to what's around him , early days but 6/10

Balogun - very impressed every time iv'e seen him play , which is not a lot to be fair but if Duffy or Dunk were out no problems with him deputising , 7/10

Locadia - I really do think he has the ability to be a good player , our system is always going to be against his style , so basically we have to lose Murray to see the best of him i think 6/10

Montoya - I agree with Dazzer , done nothing wrong but looks a bit timid going forward , just experience but a reliable replacement for Bruno 6/10

Bernardo - Really like him , oozes class and will only get better , nothing against Bong but of the two i'd start Bernardo , just looks more comfortable on the ball and going forward 7/10

Alireza Jahanbakhsh - Biggest disappointment for me , shown glimpses of talent but not enough , also i don't like the way he loses the ball then just trots back , hope i'm wrong 5/10

Pretty much agree with this + I'm not entirely certain how many of the above fit naturally into the way Hughton has us playing hence it will take them even longer to show their best.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'd like to see us have a good tilt at the FA Cup using the new players. If we're not prepared to unseat Murray, for instance, in the league then Andone / Locadia should get their chance to shine in the cup.

Get booed off after a 2-0 defeat to Scunthorpe you mean ?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Compare it to last year when we had Gross Propper and Ryan who'd come in and settled into the starting eleven with Izquierdo getting increasingly used to the league and schelotto and suttner adding squad depth.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Agreed, imagine what it would of been like with 2 strikers on the pitch - the stuff of dreams but fantasy unfortunately.

Oops meant to be replying to "Looked much better first half last week with Propper/Kayal/Gross working together (*awaits flaming for implying leaving Stephens out may be a good thing*) " [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here