Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Changes to football loan regulations

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Interesting piece in The Times this morning about FIFA's changes to the loan system for 2020-21, which have been ratified.

The number of players any club can loan out will change to be a likely maximum of between 6 and 8, but FIFA has yet to decide on the exact number.

Chelsea will be most affected - Jamal Blackman has just returned to them from Leeds following injury, which means they now have "just" 39 players out on loan!!

The table of the top six teams affected makes for interesting reading, as the Seagulls are in it:

Chelsea - 39
Man City - 28
Wolves - 27
BHA - 16
Watford - 14
Everton - 14

These are loans from first team, U23 and academy.

There will also be a cap on the number of players that can be loaned to any one club, which could also affect Chelsea adversely. "They have three players on loan at Vitesse Arnhem and have sent several players to the Dutch club every year since 2010". They are looking at a maximum of two players to any one club.

Might affect Uncle Tony's plans with his Belgian club, maybe...maybe not...

I was staggered that Chelsea had 40 players out on loan. Just how many are on their books in total, to be able to send out that many, and yet still have squads with plenty enough players.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Good news, I think, although perhaps 8-10 over 23 and 4-5 under 23 would be fair.

Looks a bit unfair on Chelsea who will probably have to sell off a number of players, probably at less than they had expected.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Good news, I think, although perhaps 8-10 over 23 and 4-5 under 23 would be fair.

Looks a bit unfair on Chelsea who will probably have to sell off a number of players, probably at less than they had expected.

Or Chelsea and the other clubs could just hang on to the players as they have the financial ability to do so, meaning that the players just basically train and then get the odd outing in an age group game,

Also the lower level clubs that benefit from the current arrangements may well run into monetary problems as there are less loan players available to bring in where currently they will only pay a small amount of the players wages, but going forward the clubs will only loan out players where they can recover the full wages for the period of the loan.

Not fully convinced this will be a benefit

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
There are some positives in terms of no stacking of unused, inaccessible talent which will benefit mid-table sides like ourselves.

The one negative for footballers themselves is that a large number could struggle for contracts as clubs will be more likely to discard slower developing talent that they can no longer loan out.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

The limits need to be more for the youngsters than he U23s. It doesn't really matter how many senior players you've got out on loan, does it? More than 8 or 9 youngsters though, and it's as if you're hovering up potentially talented youngsters just to stop other teams signing them.

Have we really got 16 players out on loan?

Yoda

English & European
Have we really got 16 players out on loan?

I make it 17

Christian Walton - Wigan Athletic
Dan Burn - Wigan Athletic
Steven Alzate - Swindon Town
Tomer Hemed - Queens Park Rangers
Ales Mateju - Brescia Calcio
Billy Arce - Extremadura
Oliver Norwood - Sheffield United
Percy Tau - Royale Union Saint Gilloise
Richie Towell - Rotherham United
Tom McGill - Greenwich Borough
Ben Hall - Notts County
Joe Tomlinson - Bognor Regis Town
Robert Sánchez - Forest Green Rovers
Bojan Radulovic - Espanyol B
Jordan Maguire-Drew - Wrexham
George Bentley - East Preston
Matthew Weaire - Gosport Borough

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I do support the moves not to allow clubs to stockpile players as a business model - but it is ironic that Brighton are one of the clubs that appear to be developing this model. We recently employed a loan manager didn't we, who might be worried about his job

Our 16 out on loan - trying to work out who they are:

Walton - Wigan
Hemed - QPR
Tau - Union SG
Towell - Rotherham
Dan Burn - Wigan
Mateju - Brescia
Alzate - Swindon
Billy Arce - Extremadura
Norwood - Sheffield United
Maguire-Drew - Wrexham
Robert Sanchez - Forest Green
Tom McGill (nope, me neither) - Greenwich Borough
Ben Hall - Notts County
Joe Tomlinson - Bognor Regis
Bojan Radulovic :)shrug:) - Espanyol B
I cannot find a 16th listed anywhere

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I do support the moves not to allow clubs to stockpile players as a business model - but it is ironic that Brighton are one of the clubs that appear to be developing this model. We recently employed a loan manager didn't we, who might be worried about his job.

Thanks for the list. Maybe the regulations should take into account where the player is being lent out to. Young players playing in non-league, presumably in the hope that they'll be able to make some sort of career in pro or semi-pro football is surely different from young players loaned out to lower PL clubs.

Or maybe the limit should be on the number and duration of loans any one player can have. A season of League 2 or National League followed by a loan to a higher level is progression, and a legitimate way of nurturing a young players career - loan after loan after loan is just hanging on to a player to stop him going anywhere else,

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Agree with this rule change, even if it will affect us. Stockpiling players is just another way of stretching the difference between the haves and have nots.

I'd have the rules

under 18's = exempt from rule
under 21's = max 5
Over 21 = max 3

I'd also reduce squad sizes to about 21 or 22 but that's another conversation

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Use them or lose them.

I think we have over 60 professionals and that is to service 2 teams - The first team and the under 23 team.

Players like Norwood, Hemed, Towell and Walton should not be on loan. They should be sold (or in our first team squad).

Maguire-Drew has been on loan 3 times in 3 seasons. If he is not good enough - Let him go!

And with respect, if you are on loan to East Preston et al then you are not going to make it a professional footballer in the PL.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I do support the moves not to allow clubs to stockpile players as a business model - but it is ironic that Brighton are one of the clubs that appear to be developing this model. We recently employed a loan manager didn't we, who might be worried about his job

Our 16 out on loan - trying to work out who they are:

Walton - Wigan
Hemed - QPR
Tau - Union SG
Towell - Rotherham
Dan Burn - Wigan
Mateju - Brescia
Alzate - Swindon
Billy Arce - Extremadura
Norwood - Sheffield United
Maguire-Drew - Wrexham
Robert Sanchez - Forest Green
Tom McGill (nope, me neither) - Greenwich Borough
Ben Hall - Notts County
Joe Tomlinson - Bognor Regis
Bojan Radulovic :)shrug:) - Espanyol B
I cannot find a 16th listed anywhere

Where's James Tilley these days - could he be the 16th?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
can see the benefits, but only 8 for all club registered players seems too low.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Use them or lose them.

I think we have over 60 professionals and that is to service 2 teams - The first team and the under 23 team.

Players like Norwood, Hemed, Towell and Walton should not be on loan. They should be sold (or in our first team squad).

Maguire-Drew has been on loan 3 times in 3 seasons. If he is not good enough - Let him go!

And with respect, if you are on loan to East Preston et al then you are not going to make it a professional footballer in the PL.

69, to be precise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here