Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Funeral directors ripping it up.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 2719

Being a funeral director has to be one of the least trust worthy proffessions on this planet.

About time they are being investigated.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-industry-under-investigation-high-prices-cma

Britain’s competition watchdog is to launch a major investigation into the £2bn-a-year funerals market, after finding prices have risen above inflation for well over a decade.

The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) said the price rises – both for funeral director and crematoria services – do not appear to be justified by cost increases or quality improvements.

People typically spend between £3,000 and £5,000 on a funeral, and the price of essential elements has risen by more than two thirds in the last 10 years – almost three times the rate of inflation.

A funeral now costs those on the lowest incomes nearly 40% of their annual outgoings, more than they spend on food, clothing and energy combined.

Advertisement

A funeral costs £4,271 on average (excluding discretionary items), up 68% over the last 10 years, while the average cremation fee is £737, up 84%, compared with inflation of 25% over the period. Cremations account for 77% of funeral services.

The watchdog said consumers could save more than £1,000 by comparing options in their area, but as customers were usually distressed they did not tend to do this, making it easier for some funeral directors to charge higher prices. Prices were also often not available online, making it hard to compare them.

Frank Field, chair of the Commons work and pensions committee, said: “The committee reported on how many poorer people are ripped off by funeral directors. I’m glad the CMA has recognised the need to take an in-depth look at this market, to put an end to the exploitation of bereaved people.”

Citizens Advice also welcomed the CMA’s investigation. Gillian Guy, the charity’s chief executive, said: “People organising a funeral are being exploited at one of the most emotional and stressful times in their lives. Huge upfront costs and unclear fees are far too common, with thousands of pounds of ‘extras’ regularly added to bills.”

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sure there are some dodgy practices out there but have to say the firm that handled my sister’s arrangements recently were brilliant throughout, and very clear and transparent on the costs.

D

Deleted member 2719

Sure there are some dodgy practices out there but have to say the firm that handled my sister’s arrangements recently were brilliant throughout, and very clear and transparent on the costs.
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Thank God there is the odd geniune company about still.
But I would say the majority really are untrustworthy.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Thank God there is the odd geniune company about still.
But I would say the majority really are untrustworthy.

Thanks......

They were excellent. Small family-run firm. Couldn’t have done more for us.

Interestingly, they were c£1500 less than another firm in the same town (wasn’t the reason we used them though - they were very conveniently located and when I went in to discuss potentially using them I was very impressed).

D

Deleted member 2719

Thanks......

They were excellent. Small family-run firm. Couldn’t have done more for us.

Interestingly, they were c£1500 less than another firm in the same town (wasn’t the reason we used them though - they were very conveniently located and when I went in to discuss potentially using them I was very impressed).

That's good to hear that you felt comfortable with them and they looked after you and they didn't take advantage.

It appears a lot don't do this.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Being a funeral director has to be one of the least trust worthy proffessions on this planet.

About time they are being investigated.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-industry-under-investigation-high-prices-cma

Britain’s competition watchdog is to launch a major investigation into the £2bn-a-year funerals market, after finding prices have risen above inflation for well over a decade.

The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) said the price rises – both for funeral director and crematoria services – do not appear to be justified by cost increases or quality improvements.

People typically spend between £3,000 and £5,000 on a funeral, and the price of essential elements has risen by more than two thirds in the last 10 years – almost three times the rate of inflation.

A funeral now costs those on the lowest incomes nearly 40% of their annual outgoings, more than they spend on food, clothing and energy combined.

Advertisement

A funeral costs £4,271 on average (excluding discretionary items), up 68% over the last 10 years, while the average cremation fee is £737, up 84%, compared with inflation of 25% over the period. Cremations account for 77% of funeral services.

The watchdog said consumers could save more than £1,000 by comparing options in their area, but as customers were usually distressed they did not tend to do this, making it easier for some funeral directors to charge higher prices. Prices were also often not available online, making it hard to compare them.

Frank Field, chair of the Commons work and pensions committee, said: “The committee reported on how many poorer people are ripped off by funeral directors. I’m glad the CMA has recognised the need to take an in-depth look at this market, to put an end to the exploitation of bereaved people.”

Citizens Advice also welcomed the CMA’s investigation. Gillian Guy, the charity’s chief executive, said: “People organising a funeral are being exploited at one of the most emotional and stressful times in their lives. Huge upfront costs and unclear fees are far too common, with thousands of pounds of ‘extras’ regularly added to bills.”

It's possible to plan and pay for your funeral before you die. Most people chose not to and then, well, you might not get the best deal 'cause you're in a rush. Same with any purchase: product or service. However, it's bash funeral directors this week. Back to Bankers next week and then a well over due return to Supermarkets week after that. Then a short break before we start the new year with credit card providers...boo, hiss, the way they force everyone to pay for xmas on them and then charge interest. Bare faced cheek!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
That's good to hear that you felt comfortable with them and they looked after you and they didn't take advantage.

It appears a lot don't do this.

It's a non news story. Click bait. Don't fall for it. People need stuff to be outraged about, as said previously, it's Funeral Industry this week...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Lenny Rider will speak at some point about this

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
The trouble with Funeral Directors is that they think we are all a bunch of 'Window Lickers'(SIC) that will pay anything.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The trouble with Funeral Directors is that they think we are all a bunch of 'Window Lickers'(SIC) that will pay anything.

Windows in coffins are quite expensive to be honest mate and well............... to be perfectly honest a bit pointless.

I have though booked a decent bell in mine just in case.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
When discussing my deceased dad saw the FD had a Carmarthen FC programme then spent the next hour talking football, he invited me to a corporate event at the ground. Good local firm and the crem went well also.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It's possible to plan and pay for your funeral before you die. Most people chose not to and then, well, you might not get the best deal 'cause you're in a rush. Same with any purchase: product or service. However, it's bash funeral directors this week. Back to Bankers next week and then a well over due return to Supermarkets week after that. Then a short break before we start the new year with credit card providers...boo, hiss, the way they force everyone to pay for xmas on them and then charge interest. Bare faced cheek!

I am paying for my funeral in advance. The price of funerals is rising at a rate of £1,000 a year, and some people are having to crowd fund funerals as there isn't an insurance provided.
It's ok if you're on benefits but many people, now, are having to have paupers funerals.

To be fair to the funeral directors, crematoria are putting their prices up all the time.
Is the Downs Crematorium still owned by Americans?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Like most industries ...good and bad ...my own personal experience to date was when my mother passed away and I found the company I dealt with good on all counts ...as you find ...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I am paying for my funeral in advance. The price of funerals is rising at a rate of £1,000 a year, and some people are having to crowd fund funerals as there isn't an insurance provided.
It's ok if you're on benefits but many people, now, are having to have paupers funerals.

To be fair to the funeral directors, crematoria are putting their prices up all the time.
Is the Downs Crematorium still owned by Americans?

Mind me asking where you got that figure of £1k a year from?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
A friend's husband died suddenly three weeks ago. She had the presence of mind to ask for three quotes and details of the service.
Many people find it slightly distasteful to compare prices for a death/funeral.

One Teddy Maybank

Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
[MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION] provides an excellent service when my Father in Law passed away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here