Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] General Weather Thread

Flex Your Head

Please can we have a 'general' or day-to-day weather thread?

Anything remotely snow-related should go here, obvs - http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?165511-The-Award-Winning-Official-quot-More-Snow-Tomorrow-quot-Thread-2018-19-Season - but as we seem to have some meteorlogical boffins on here, it would be a shame not to tap their knowledge.

I have questions!

Which app or site has the most accurate 2 or 3 day forecasts?

Which weather site is best for informed opinion? Net Weather' forum just seems manic, whilst TWO seems calmer, but isn't taking new members on?!?

Where will I find a decent, UK-centric weather glossary for newbies?

You know the Sudden Stratospheric Warming (SSW) thingie that happened earlier in the year and brought us weather from the East? Is that still making a difference, or are we just likely to get damp, mild, Atlantic crud for the rest of the year?

What's the difference between a 'gentle' and a 'moderate' breeze? Is there anything stronger breeze-wise than 'moderate'? I commute to work by bike, and I've yet to discern any difference at all between breeze types.

What's the difference between an air frost and a ground frost, and what exactly is freezing fog?

Oh yeah, will it rain tomorrow in The City?

Any answers out there?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
In answer to your last question....probably.

Our main weather man has decided to become erm a politician ...mind you he wasn't very good about fog.

PS is this post allowed?

PPS in BN43 its currently dampish ...mild and a tad windy

casbom

Jul 24, 2007

Anything remotely snow-related should go here, obvs - http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?165511-The-Award-Winning-Official-quot-More-Snow-Tomorrow-quot-Thread-2018-19-Season - but as we seem to have some meteorlogical boffins on here, it would be a shame not to tap their knowledge.

I have questions!

Which weather site is best for informed opinion? Net Weather' forum just seems manic, whilst TWO seems calmer, but isn't taking new members on?!?

You know the Sudden Stratospheric Warming (SSW) thingie that happened earlier in the year and brought us weather from the East? Is that still making a difference, or are we just likely to get damp, mild, Atlantic crud for the rest of the year?

What's the difference between a 'gentle' and a 'moderate' breeze? Is there anything stronger breeze-wise than 'moderate'? I commute to work by bike, and I've yet to discern any difference at all between breeze types.

What's the difference between an air frost and a ground frost, and what exactly is freezing fog?

Any answers out there?

Which app or site has the most accurate 2 or 3 day forecasts? None really, as all use automated forecasts which most are derived from the US Weather Model (GFS). Best bet is the Met office website or the weatherman.

Well yes Netweather can be manic, if you venture into the "hunt for Cold" thread. The less manic option is the Autmun and Beyond thread. TWO is ok and is a watered down version of the manic thread, or you could have a look at Uk WeatherWorld: http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

Depends what you mean? As weather terms are global? try here: https://kestrelmeters.com/pages/weather-glossary

Some believe (there's no proof in this) yes the Polar Vortex has not been strong as it should be this time of year due to the SSW, however there are many other bits we have to consider as to why we're seeing a particular weather type. At the moment there is no blocking High pressure so yes westerly weather type for the next 10 days or so at least.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/guide/weather/marine/beaufort-scale

Air frost is when the temperature is at below freezing - Ground frost is the temperature of the ground itself which can be colder than the air.
Freezing fog is frozen moisture, this creates that lovely rime on everything, makes it look very wintry!

It's not meant to, in fact you might even see the Sun!

I think that's all correct, if not then I apologise!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The weather site we used in South Africa, which was the one that the farmers relied upon, and have carried on using here is www.yr.no. Usually accurate re rain/snow etc, not so accurate re temperatures - in SA it was usually 4 degrees too low!

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011

I have questions!

Any answers out there?
Cold fog.
I've heard of an Indian Summer, but never Apache fog.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Channel 4 Weatherman Liam Dutton (he also has a Facebook page)

[tweet]873631947632906241[/tweet]

Or [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] on Nsc.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As long as Holly Green’s heavily involved, the weather thread will be a hit.

292FFF5E-6EB1-49B1-9A5E-380B23A9C9AC.png

ECF5D50C-1D88-46DB-B64A-AC8833AB659A.png

Perfection.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
www.netweather.tv

I refuse to use any other website for forecasts because they’re all absolute PANTS compared to netweather

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's pissing down in Hangleton and very blowy currently ..... you've not been charged for this information.

Flex Your Head

... all use automated forecasts which most are derived from the US Weather Model (GFS).
As opposed to the ECM which is the Euro equivalent, presumably?
Which leads to more questions, such as what is the op run, what are the ensembles, what is the control..?

you could have a look at Uk WeatherWorld: http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php
Will do - thanks.

Depends what you mean? As weather terms are global? try here: https://kestrelmeters.com/pages/weather-glossary
Uppers. Toppling heights. Northerly blocking. Zonality. What is the Polar Vortex and what does it 'do'? That sorta thing really.

Blimey! Who's have thought that the next step after a 'strong breeze' would be 'near gale'? Quite surprised by that.

Air frost is when the temperature is at below freezing - Ground frost is the temperature of the ground itself which can be colder than the air.
Freezing fog is frozen moisture, this creates that lovely rime on everything, makes it look very wintry!
Love that - hope we get some this winter.

It's not meant to, in fact you might even see the Sun!
Ha, I'll believe it when I see it ;)

I think that's all correct, if not then I apologise!
Thanks so much for taking the time and your detailed response :thumbsup:

casbom

Jul 24, 2007

As opposed to the ECM which is the Euro equivalent, presumably?
Which leads to more questions, such as what is the op run, what are the ensembles, what is the control..?

Will do - thanks.

Uppers. Toppling heights. Northerly blocking. Zonality. What is the Polar Vortex and what does it 'do'? That sorta thing really.

Blimey! Who's have thought that the next step after a 'strong breeze' would be 'near gale'? Quite surprised by that.

Love that - hope we get some this winter.

Ha, I'll believe it when I see it ;)

Thanks so much for taking the time and your detailed response :thumbsup:

Hi mate,

This area of netweather might be useful to have a browse through, I think it should cover all of your questions:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/69-learners-area/

A quick one on these questions :Uppers. Toppling heights. Northerly blocking. Zonality. What is the Polar Vortex and what does it 'do'? That sorta thing really.

So when someone mentions uppers they are talking about the temperature that's at 850HPa, i.e. around 2 miles (I think that's right? Papa?).

Northerly Blocking is a term which is ideally what we need to see to get any cold weather our way. Our default weather pattern is from the West (as it is across the whole northern Hemisphere) however when we get Northerly Blocking, that means there is a high pressure over the Pole (or ideally over Greenland) which "blocks" the westerly flow of weather for us and starts turning weather to come in from the East or North East.
Generally in winter this is coming off a huge landmass so is (normally) bitterly cold and we tap into that. This is where we get the "Beast from the East" saying and generally the direction we get most of our snow.

The Polar Vortex is the killer of any cold weather in Winter! This is a huge body of extremely cold airmass from the troposphere (where clouds form) to the Stratosphere (up to the edge of space) which forms normally from September through to Feb/March due to lack of sunlight over the pole. Temps can get down to -90, so with this in place and our much milder temps over the equator and north of there, where these two airmasses meet, is where you get the jet stream. The jet stream is the dividing line between Cold airmass and milder/warmer airmass.

In winter if you want snow, you want the jet stream to head south over the Med or spilt out in the Atlantic, vice versa in summer you want it over Iceland!

Along this jet stream/boundary is where you get (generally) the Low pressures form. The faster the jet stream (if a big temp differential between the two airmasses), the bigger/windier Low Pressures form. If the jet stream is anywhere near the British Isles (which it usually is) then those low pressures go either through us or just to north.

However the Polar Vortex can be "attacked" so to speak what what's called wave 1 and wave 2 formations (these are high pressures around the Northern Hemisphere). These pump milder air into the Artic which can disrupt the Polar Vortex from being so cold and actually warm it up a little. When this happens the temp differential becomes less which reduces the strength of the jet stream, which in turn means less strong Low Pressures and it allows the jet to meander. This in turn could allow High pressure to form over us or further North/East.
A SSW basically kills the Polar Vortex in Winter and all that cold air is forced outwards to our latitude around the Northern Hemisphere, which in turn sometimes means we have a cold spell (like it did back in Feb/March).

So for weather nerds who want snow, a SSW is the Holy Grail! Next best thing is some blocking to our North/North East to get some snow.

Sorry for rattling on, but just wanted to get some points across! haha! Hopefully Papa can verify what I've said, but do have a look at that learning area, it is very useful. :eek:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here