Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Email phishing (purportedly from HMRC) fraud

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hi,

I received an email today from “HMRC - Customer Care” as the addressee, notifying me that I’m due a tax repayment and to follow their embedded link. It’s an attempted fraud. Very cleverly done with a font in HMRC style, their email address is not a long affair from a distant domain, the amount is very precise and not high, there are no spelling mistakes or any of the usual dead giveaways. In addition, this is a time of the year where many (tax return) taxpayers are expecting repayments, after submitting their return.

Their email got through all the safeguards on my desktop.

Beware!

Last edited:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Someone at work has received several of these HMRC phishing e-mails over the last year or so

They seemed to include a fairly realistic sum that he was supposed to be able to claim back and did wonder how they could be that close to the true figure he'd get back if it were true and could see how some may believe it and get caught out

He reported it to the HRMC (i think it was them he was asked to report it to) who have asked for these e-mails to be reported to them so they can investigate and try to take action

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There is also a dodgy email doing the rounds that " your payment has been declined for your TV Licence". Handily, there is a link that you can click on in order to enter your card details and rectify the situation.

Unfortunately the syntax and tone of the email is distinctly Un -BBC and so I doubt many will fall for it..

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
HMRC never email nor ring. They always write.

Not true now actually. They do email, I've had emails this year relating to tax code changes & self assessment request

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I moved to Canada 7 weeks ago. Within 2 weeks I had a phone call from the ‘Canadian Government’ saying I owe them money. If I didn’t reply they would ‘send someone out to arrest me’.

I’m scared.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Hi,

I received an email today from “HMRC - Customer Care” as the addressee, notifying me that I’m due a tax repayment and to follow their embedded link. It’s an attempted fraud. Very cleverly done with a font in HMRC style, their email address is not a long affair from a distant domain, the amount is very precise and not high, there are no spelling mistakes or any of the usual dead giveaways. In addition, this is a time of the year where many (tax return) taxpayers are expecting repayments, after submitting their return.

Their email got through all the safeguards on my desktop.

Beware!

They've cloned the actual phone number for HMRC, which is quite an advancement in these :tosser: scams.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Had these emails numerous times !!!

A month or so ago I got an automated telephone call on my mobile saying I'd somehow cheated HMRC out of tax or fraudulent in some way ( can't remember exact wording) and the Police where on their way to arrest me !!!! Jolly nice of them to give me a heads up so I legged it and i'm still on the run !!

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 8, 2013
Downunder
HMRC never email nor ring. They always write.

Not true now actually. They do email, I've had emails this year relating to tax code changes & self assessment request

I too receive emails from HMRC but they merely advise me to log in to my Government Gateway account where correspondence awaits. From memory I think I opted for electronic correspondence when I set up my account:thumbsup:

The emails have never included any personal information.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here