Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Radio 5 Live

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Used to be an habitual listener but am losing the love. Many reasons for this but currently am totally hacked off with their self-appointed role as cheerleaders for Strictly(a programme that itself leaves me cold). Also I've noticed the sheer number of 'adverts' for BBC's own productions. I know they have to chase the ratings these days but perhaps they don't fully appreciate that one of the reasons we tune into BBC is to avoid ads.
I still prefer their football coverage to Talksport's, though.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Used to be an habitual listener but am losing the love. Many reasons for this but currently am totally hacked off with their self-appointed role as cheerleaders for Strictly(a programme that itself leaves me cold). Also I've noticed the sheer number of 'adverts' for BBC's own productions. I know they have to chase the ratings these days but perhaps they don't fully appreciate that one of the reasons we tune into BBC is to avoid ads.

Personally, I prefer Radio 3s football coverage to talksports

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

No longer keen on their afternoon show 1/4pm..but I think I’ve wandered outside their target audience...sigh

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I love the evening shows on random sports, F1, rugby, cricket, boxing. Euro football as well.

Drive is ok but don't think they overemphasise the travel news. Probably less than 0.1% of listeners are going to be affected by any given traffic jam.

I generally like the mostly light hearted discussion of news and daily topics with tonnes of sport news

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Regarding ads, have you noticed how many BBC programmes are "turned into" news items on the BBC News just to give them a plug - Panorama topics spring to mind.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
The moment we put 5 Live on each day, they are always talking about Brexit. I know how important it is etc etc, but I'm getting totally bored of it now.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No longer keen on their afternoon show 1/4pm..but I think I’ve wandered outside their target audience...sigh

That’s Nihal who at every miscoscopic chance pushes social agendas, and who sneers at anyone who supports Brexit, or likes TV progs he can’t stand. He recently interviewed Roger Daltry ... who was bloody interesting talking about Keith Moon, Pete Townshend etc. Yet Nihal couldn’t believe that RD believed in Brexit. “REALLY!!!!” Talk about unbalanced presenting.

Presenters past and present such as Chiles, Bacon, Livesey, Burden and Campbell somehow hand all such issues with charm and fairness, whatever their own strong views.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
If 606 could reach any further depths (after the departure of Danny Baker) I listened the other night and this right twit was having some stupid quiz with Chris Sutton - in a "look at me hanging out with the cool kids" way. Sounding too pleased with themselves is a peril to avoid.

Danny Baker did it himself one World Cup "look at me getting paid to get pissed with my mates watching football" - yes - we get it. Don't rub it in.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I too get fed up with the trails for what's coming up each month/weekend/day, unfortunately this is done in the form of either fuzzy backdated screaming of the last F1 race or by general screaming about a horse/goal/try like it's never been bettered. It should be remembered though that this is pretty clever as a cheap way to fill airtime when you don't really have much to talk about.

My late mother used to always watch the likes of The Alan Titchmarsh Show or The Paul O'Grady Show and if ever I visited her it was apparent that much of the programmes content revolved around the host telling the studio audience ( to much screaming ) what was coming up later in the show, after the break etc etc. Many other shows do this to a lesser or greater extent and it's not unknown to be told what's coming up " After the Break " and then have it repeated pretty much word for word 3 minutes later.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If 606 could reach any further depths (after the departure of Danny Baker) I listened the other night and this right twit was having some stupid quiz with Chris Sutton - in a "look at me hanging out with the cool kids" way. Sounding too pleased with themselves is a peril to avoid.

Danny Baker did it himself one World Cup "look at me getting paid to get pissed with my mates watching football" - yes - we get it. Don't rub it in.

Baker was excellent in the original incarnation of 606, trouble is he did let himself get carried away towards the end, he is still good value on the radio but 606 had run it's course some time ago, how could anyone allow David Mellor to host it FFS !

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Radio Five is now awful. It used to be a bit 'blokey' which I liked but now seems to have removed itself from its original remit. I am not interested in stuff that should be on woman's hour but prefer the older mix of news and sports. I'm a celebrity, that dancing show etc, they are NOT and should NOT be mentioned in news programmes.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Radio 5 addict here. From Breakfast to Up All Night.
But that Nihal guy in the afternoons gets turned off, rubbish. Was he a DJ or something on Radio 1. Get the feeling all he wants to talk about is 'young' music.
On the subject of Panorama. If that show gets a scoop on a great story why do the BBC wait until the day of the show to announce the scoop and then put it into the news as something new?
They've know for months but held the story back.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But that Nihal guy in the afternoons gets turned off, rubbish. Was he a DJ or something on Radio 1. Get the feeling all he wants to talk about is 'young' music.
On the subject of Panorama. If that show gets a scoop on a great story why do the BBC wait until the day of the show to announce the scoop and then put it into the news as something new?

He repeatedly tells us he was DJ Nihal, who brushed shoulders with Tiesto, Carl Cox, Oakenfold & co. It is true, but strangely I never heard of him. Insecurity complex = must drop the subject into each 606 show. A middle age bloke who keeps saying Bro to teenage guests .... cringy.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

Same as - going to give LBC a go during the day.

Shame that Richard Bacon left (years ago now) but love Dotun and Rhod Sharp (who actually works from a home office in the US following moving there during presenting up all night)

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
One theme emerging is that R5 has moved from its Radio Bloke roots to something a bit more (er) inclusive. So the boy Nihal (too cool for school) is clearly there to bring in the yoof at the expense of old gits like me who re-tune as soon as he starts up. I'm afraid he joins David Mellor in my 'unlistenable' list. I like Adrian Chiles. One constant though: Alan Green is and has always been a knob.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here