Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Lobster in Brighton / Hove

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Dear wise NSC

My daughter is about to turn 12, and she would like to celebrate her birthday by trying lobster. She likes fish and has asked about lobster before, and I've told her it's expensive and she can try it on her birthday, so here we are. Mrs T doesn't like fish, so we never go to seafood restaurants (and have no idea which are good/bad), but we can make an exception for the birthday girl (although it doesn't have to be a seafood restaurant, happy to go to anywhere that serves nice lobster).

I'm thinking of a Western style lobster, rather than Asian. Please also recommend the particular style you think most appropriate for a 12 year old newcomer.

Where would you knowledgeable folk recommend?

Thanks

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Rather than going out for a full slap-up (and expensive) lobster meal when you don't know if she will like it or not, why not buy a fresh lobster and have her try it at home first ? You can pick up a decent sized one thats been cooked at the Monteum fisheries along the seafront road (opposite B&Q) for £12-£14.

Take her out to Frankie & Bennys for the meal.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Rather than going out for a full slap-up (and expensive) lobster meal when you don't know if she will like it or not, why not buy a fresh lobster and have her try it at home first ? You can pick up a decent sized one thats been cooked at the Monteum along the seafront road (opposite B&Q) for £12-£14.

Take her out to Frankie & Bennys for the meal.

Or TWO POUNDS FORTY NINE in Iceland.

https://groceries.iceland.co.uk/iceland-luxury-canadian-whole-cooked-lobster-325g/p/57124

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The Town House, Arundel

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Riddle & Finns would be my best shout for accurately and confidently delivered Lobster.

This. You could also try the Salt Room so Mrs Triggaar has something not fishy as an option.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
True. I've had the cheapo Tesco £6 ones before as well, but they're nowhere near as flavoursome. Wouldn't be the best first impression of lobster IMO.

Even though I'm fully aware of things like economies of scale, factory farming and meticulously planned supply chains, it utterly bemuses me how the ****ing **** Iceland can possible be knocking LOBSTERS out at under £2.50.

Bonkers

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Even though I'm fully aware of things like economies of scale, factory farming and meticulously planned supply chains, it utterly bemuses me how the ****ing **** Iceland can possible be knocking LOBSTERS out at under £2.50.

Bonkers

Probably due to the amount of meat you actually get from them, its pretty MINGY, as the reviews from your link would ascertain. They're tiny. Much better to go to a fisheries and pick out a nicely sized one yourself, one with great big claws.

Reminds me of a joke:

Diner: "Waiter, why does my lobster only have one claw ?"
Waiter: "I'm afraid it would appear he lost one in a fight sir"
Diner: "Well then take this one away, and bring me back the winner"

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thanks all for the suggestions so far.
Rather than going out for a full slap-up (and expensive) lobster meal when you don't know if she will like it or not, why not buy a fresh lobster and have her try it at home first ?
Thanks, but I'd be concerned the result wouldn't be good enough - like this:
True. I've had the cheapo Tesco £6 ones before as well, but they're nowhere near as flavoursome. Wouldn't be the best first impression of lobster IMO.
You can pick up a decent sized one thats been cooked at the Monteum fisheries along the seafront road (opposite B&Q) for £12-£14.
Ok, so it will be cooked properly, but I won't do it justice with a sauce. And just how expensive is lobster in the restaurants recommended so far :eek:

I figure she can order lobster, and I'll order something for me that I know she likes, so we can swap if necessary. But she won't swap. She likes all fish she's tried and loves prawns. Although it's been a while, lobster has always seemed fairly inoffensive to me.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've had lobster in The Regency Restaurant and always thought it was great for a sea front place, and a nice relaxed venue for a birthday meal.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's illegal in Switzerland and New Zealand. Still a debate on whether they feel pain or not.

The Swiss lobster trawling fleet must be an impressive sight.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thanks all for the suggestions so far.
Thanks, but I'd be concerned the result wouldn't be good enough - like this:

Ok, so it will be cooked properly, but I won't do it justice with a sauce. And just how expensive is lobster in the restaurants recommended so far :eek:

I figure she can order lobster, and I'll order something for me that I know she likes, so we can swap if necessary. But she won't swap. She likes all fish she's tried and loves prawns. Although it's been a while, lobster has always seemed fairly inoffensive to me.

Personally I've always enjoyed fresh lobster without it being covered in sauces. It has quite a subtle flavour and texture, I find a sauce just drowns it out.

Probably my best lobster experience came at my cousins wedding. To mine (and my dads) delight, there was a maHOOsive tray of just lobster tails amongst the buffet, and nobody else seemed taken with them. So we totally pigged out on them. Eventually I sadly returned to our table with the last 4 tails, which we sat and had between us - but then high-fived in delight as someone brought a whole new fresh tray of them out, and off we went again.

My hands were doing pincers by the end of it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've had a look at their menu - which style did you have?

In fact, I should have asked at the start - what style lobster would you recommend for a 12 year old newcomer?

I went for the garlic butter, the Thermidor is a bit more prepared. The Regency platters with the whole lobster are great if you all want to share and try everything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here