Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sol Campbell

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
New manager of Macclesfield, good luck to him starting at the bottom, only way is UP

If "one of the greatest minds in football" Sol Campbell is a quarter as good as he thinks he is, they'll be Champs League by January.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Brave appointment from the Macclesfield board.

Not only is there the inherent risk in appointing ANY first-time manager, but the added scrutiny that Campbell has ensured through his long campaign of self-promotion. There's no better than a 50% success rate for new managers, and if Sol turns out to be one of the rubbish 50%, his inevitably departure will undoubtedly turn into an unsavoury shitfest of recrimination, with allegations of discrimination and all kinds.

nailed on.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Macclesfield fans are very split on it, going by their forum. Its a massive gamble by the club, a real step into the unknown for them. In their situation, my instinct would be to want to appoint a safe pair of hands, someone with experience who's been around the block and knows the noddy leagues. But then I've been just as guilty of criticising clubs for sticking to the old managerial merry-go-round and making unimaginative appointments, so maybe they should be applauded for giving a fledgling coach his chance in the game. Hugely risky though. I do reckon it'll end in a shifest, but I'll watch with interest.

7 points adrift of safety, and a tough game at Exeter tonight. He's got his work cut out.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
The Macclesfield fans are very split on it, going by their forum. Its a massive gamble by the club, a real step into the unknown for them. In their situation, my instinct would be to want to appoint a safe pair of hands, someone with experience who's been around the block and knows the noddy leagues. But then I've been just as guilty of criticising clubs for sticking to the old managerial merry-go-round and making unimaginative appointments, so maybe they should be applauded for giving a fledgling coach his chance in the game. Hugely risky though. I do reckon it'll end in a shifest, but I'll watch with interest.

I don't know if its a real step into the unknown for them is it given that they appointed Paul Ince as manager previously with the same or similar (lack of) credentials?

Obviously he then moved onto bigger and better things with a great deal of success..

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Campbell does come across as a bit of a bellend but fair play to him for starting at the bottom.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't know if its a real step into the unknown for them is it given that they appointed Paul Ince as manager previously with the same or similar (lack of) credentials?

Obviously he then moved onto bigger and better things with a great deal of success..

Ince arrived with them in a similar position IIRC and kept them up, so you're right in that respect. But Campbell is still a massive PUNT (so to speak). Obviously I don't know the bloke, but from what I've seen and read of him since retiring, he has a hugely inflated opinion of himself, and carries a chip on his shoulder the size of a Nissan Micra. Whether he has the character and attitude to somehow get a tune out of a bunch of failing lower league scufflers remains to be seen. He's certainly going to need to hit the ground running, or they could be dead in the water by Christmas.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

7 points adrift of safety, and a tough game at Exeter tonight. He's got his work cut out.

It's not a huge period of time since we were playing in the aforesaid "noddy leagues"!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's not a huge period of time since we were playing in the aforesaid "noddy leagues"!

Indeed, and I've certainly done my Grand Tour of them. All hail Sir Gustavo of Poyet for hauling us out, and Christopher Hughton esq for keeping us out.

For the forseeable at least.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Ince arrived with them in a similar position IIRC and kept them up, so you're right in that respect. But Campbell is still a massive PUNT (so to speak). Obviously I don't know the bloke, but from what I've seen and read of him since retiring, he has a hugely inflated opinion of himself, and carries a chip on his shoulder the size of a Nissan Micra. Whether he has the character and attitude to somehow get a tune out of a bunch of failing lower league scufflers remains to be seen. He's certainly going to need to hit the ground running, or they could be dead in the water by Christmas.

Every interview I've heard Sol do he comes across as a massive bellend. I'd be amazed if this ends up in any scenario other than 'I was sacked coz I is black and nothing to do with being shit, I should be manager of Barcelona next'

It's a shame they are nearly adrift already as there is no betting angle to fill your boots with.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
716C6458-6FC3-4F53-A483-FF19A3A86A7C.jpeg
Their are some good teams in the National League :whistle:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions