Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Cold remedies

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Got a lousy head cold and normally I just put up with it and don't bother taking anything. However, I tried the Benylin cold and flu max strength and they really do help. Any other good remedies?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Got a lousy head cold and normally I just put up with it and don't bother taking anything. However, I tried the Benylin cold and flu max strength and they really do help. Any other good remedies?

Can I suggest you get Tesco/Sainsbury/Morrisson's/boots cold and flu max strength which are exactly the same but about 1/3rd of the price?

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Local honey, freshly squeezed lemon and hot water.

I was always sceptical but a local bee keeper made me try it and it never fails to sort a cold out for me.
Apparently has to be local fresh honey though.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
If you need a decongestant, get something containing Pseudoephedrine, which will need to be over-the-counter. The ones on the shelf contain Phenylephrine, which is proven not to work.

That said, I find a big bowl of boiling water with some Vicks in, and a towel over my head, really does the job!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I like to use some guaifenesin. It is intended for a chesty cough but I find it helps to thin whatever is clogging me up and looses it rather quickly making me feel much better

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London

I was always sceptical but a local bee keeper made me try it and it never fails to sort a cold out for me.

Local honey works for me too. Quite a lot of bee keepers in London which I found odd.

If you need a decongestant, get something containing Pseudoephedrine, which will need to be over-the-counter. The ones on the shelf contain Phenylephrine, which is proven not to work.

That said, I find a big bowl of boiling water with some Vicks in, and a towel over my head, really does the job!

Boiling head works well and so does warm water in a small tea pot, turn your head to the side and pour in one nostril and it comes out the other flushing it all out.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lemsip .... not with boiling water, but a few degrees C lower that.

And for those nighmarish tickly coughs that start in bed, every night, soluble paracetomol swished round the mouth and throat. It works.

Last edited:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Take the juice of half a lemon and place in a mug, add one shot of brandy and two crushed paracetamol, two teaspoons of honey and top up with boiling water.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Can I suggest you get Tesco/Sainsbury/Morrisson's/boots cold and flu max strength which are exactly the same but about 1/3rd of the price?

Actually having looked it up, Benylin has caffeine, which I always try to avoid as I have too much anyway, but doesn't have Guaifenesin which helps with mucus/coughs.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Being cold, getting rained on, going out with wet hair etc does not give you a cold. It's a virus, you catch it from other people.

True, but it’s not as simple as that:

“Research from the Common Cold Research Centre at the University Cardiff in 2005 showed that 13 of the 90 volunteers who had their feet chilled with cold water for 20 minutes caught a cold in the following 4 or 5 days, compared with only 5 of the volunteers who didn’t have their feet chilled.

The reason is possibly because the cold causes the blood vessels in our noses to constrict, and reduces our ability to fight infection. We are constantly being exposed to viruses, and so the chilling left the volunteers more vulnerable to this cold onslaught and therefore more likely to develop a cold over the following days. This could also be one of the reasons why colds are more common in the winter. So, to avoid a cold, keep yourself (and especially your nose) warm. Scarves out!”

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Actually having looked it up, Benylin has caffeine, which I always try to avoid as I have too much anyway, but doesn't have Guaifenesin which helps with mucus/coughs.

Yet, I find that Benylin chesty cough mixture does decongest me. The drowsy version is great for helping me to sleep when I can't breathe properly.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Not a remedy, but I've found that vitamin C and echinacea act as a brilliant prophylactic.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I have heard that local honey helps relieve symptoms of hayfever as it acts similar to an inoculation. I really can’t see what the reasoning behind local honey for a cold is. Othe than the beekeeper trying to flog it was local :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here