Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Expect players to be in 5 jumpers, and the crowd to still be in winter coats

SCCC Championship FB&T small_0.png

A top 3 finish will mean promotion

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
So because the football season starts in the middle of the cricket season and then stops, starts and splutters to Xmas before getting going, and as soon as it does my mind gets ready for the new cricket season with me already bought test match tickets for next summer and the county fixtures now out...I must admit my mojo for football is starting to take very much a back seat !!

April in Sussex can be glorious...not so sure about Durham though!!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Not being an aficionado on cricket fixtures, why do we only play Leicestershire, Lancs, Derbyshire and Glamorgan once?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It’s to do with the number of fixtures we have. Mucking around with the integrity of the league system is the sure sign of a sport of a slippery slope.

5th April?? Ridiculous? Cricket season should start about a month after that.

In a sea of badly run sports cricket is surely the worst run of all.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not being an aficionado on cricket fixtures, why do we only play Leicestershire, Lancs, Derbyshire and Glamorgan once?

Because the players would burn out for the 20/20's and one dayers where all the cash is. There are not enough days in the summer to fit it all in.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
One (ONE!!!) County game in both July and August, the height of Summer. And people wonder why cricket is dying.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I need to state here that I know nothing about cricket.

But looking at that fixture list in the original post, it appears Sussex play some sides home and away, and others just away or just home. How does that work? Genuine question from a non-cricket person.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Simply ridiculous.
A high number of CC games now played in April and September to accomodate the spawn of the Devil in high summer. Yes, I know it brings the money in but to a purist and cricket lover like me, it is an abomination. A slog-fest that degrades and humiliates decent bowlers and upgrades certain players with a lack of technical ability.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
Durham away on the 11th April. Says enough of what is thought of the longer format.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
How can Middlesex and Lancashire be in Division 2 , i thought they were 2 of the 5 Teams that wanted to form a merged league where the minnows of county cricket such as Sussex and Kent were swallowed up by the cricketing giants of England / Wales , must be a typo .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Because the players would burn out for the 20/20's and one dayers where all the cash is. There are not enough days in the summer to fit it all in.
Burn out - huh! I hate that phrase! Back in the 50s they played two 3-day matches a week, and on Sundays would turn out for a friendly against a local club. I remember as a kid getting a free tea for working the scoreboard one Sunday at The Rec in Polegate when Sussex came to town.

.......and some of them still managed to turn out for The Albion too!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Burn out - huh! I hate that phrase! Back in the 50s they played two 3-day matches a week, and on Sundays would turn out for a friendly against a local club. I remember as a kid getting a free tea for working the scoreboard one Sunday at The Rec in Polegate when Sussex came to town.

Ah but that was in the days when it was bad form for fielders to either run after or dive for a ball, as I recall if the ball went 5 yards either side of them it was acceptable to jog to the boundary to collect it ?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

And the only televised TV cricket on a Sunday was the (Rothmans?) International Cavaliers...……………….On the Sunday games against club sides these were usually (always?) Benefit Matches. One of my mates, a very good club cricketer from Yorkshire, once took 6 for 42 in such a game against the county team. It was the happiest day of his life!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And the only televised TV cricket on a Sunday was the (Rothmans?) International Cavaliers...……………….

That takes me back. My first visit to the County Ground was to see the Cavaliers v Sussex. I saw Trevor Bailey hit a mighty six over the bowler's head; I didn't know of Bailey's reputation as a blocker and how rare such a shot was.

I was hooked from then on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here