Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tough luck

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Anyone else feeling a bit hard done by with the last two games.
Cardiff winner was offside.
Gross's disallowed goal against Leicester was on side.
Leicester equaliser shouldn't have been a peno. He was offside first. If he wasn't offside then fair enough Kayal's tackle was rash.

So we need to get some luck to balance it out.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Leicester equaliser shouldn't have been a peno. He was offside first. If he wasn't offside then fair enough Kayal's tackle was rash.

We were lucky none of the 50-odd shots Newcastle and Wolves had went in.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

More down to good defending and their ineptitude, than good luck.
Stephens sending off as well, I’m not saying it wasn’t a red card but, there were two challenges equally as bad that weekend, that we’re only punished by yellows.

Jorginho for Chelsea, and Chambers for Fulham.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster

Appreciate that but this could also be seen as good defending by us or bad attacking by them. What am talking about is bad decisions by the officials, which has nothing to do with the quality of the teams.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Winner against Newcastle was from a corner that should’ve been a goal kick. Wolves could’ve had 2 pens awarded.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Winner against Newcastle was from a corner that should’ve been a goal kick. Wolves could’ve had 2 pens awarded.

cant really remember the Newcastle goal but fair enough. But not awarding pens is an opinion though where as the offside rule is a fact.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton

No you make your own luck.

Could argue that Leicester having a man sent off for two booking in three minutes was lucky. But we didn't make much of it!

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Disappointed - Yes, but we move on to the next game. I know I'll get shouted down for my views, but as frustrating as yesterday was, as was the Cardiff result, it's still just a game. There are more important things in life than working ourselves up when results and performaces don't go the way we want or hope for.

I don't agree though about tough luck. I think by and large you make your own luck - yesterday we just weren't good enough. 1 shot on target after going ahead summed it up for me.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Not really. We should never have been in the position where poor calls could cost is in either of our last two games. We didn't do enough to win. Our incredibly passive tactics in both games after taking the lead surrendered all initiative and momentum. I could understand it if we had a two goal lead but when it's only one goal you're asking for trouble. We all know it only takes a mistake, poor decision by the ref or a moment of inspiration and we lose the points. We had both Cardiff and Leicester where we wanted them but threw it away ourselves.

I understand we're not the best team in the league but we're not the worst either. I get why against certain teams and in certain situations going defensive is the best option. There are teams and games, however, where a more positive, aggressive mindset will bring big rewards. The last two games where perfect examples of that. We should be five points better off with a goal difference closer to 0.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Absolutely not.

Moaning about luck is the ultimate get out when you’re not getting results. It just sounds petty and bitter.

1 up against one of the weakest teams in the division and lost. 1 up against 10 men at home and drew. Ah if only we’d had more luck!

As a team you make your own luck over a season. Sure there are some stand out howlers but as fans do we ever notice marginal offsides or iffy fouls when decisions go in our favour?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Not really. We should never have been in the position where poor calls could cost is in either of our last two games. We didn't do enough to win. Our incredibly passive tactics in both games after taking the lead surrendered all initiative and momentum. I could understand it if we had a two goal lead but when it's only one goal you're asking for trouble. We all know it only takes a mistake, poor decision by the ref or a moment of inspiration and we lose the points. We had both Cardiff and Leicester where we wanted them but threw it away ourselves.

I understand we're not the best team in the league but we're not the worst either. I get why against certain teams and in certain situations going defensive is the best option. There are teams and games, however, where a more positive, aggressive mindset will bring big rewards. The last two games where perfect examples of that. We should be five points better off with a goal difference closer to 0.

Totally agree.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Absolutely not.

Moaning about luck is the ultimate get out when you’re not getting results. It just sounds petty and bitter.

1 up against one of the weakest teams in the division and lost. 1 up against 10 men at home and drew. Ah if only we’d had more luck!

As a team you make your own luck over a season. Sure there are some stand out howlers but as fans do we ever notice marginal offsides or iffy fouls when decisions go in our favour?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you've been led astray by the OP and thread title. He's not really moaning about luck, he's moaning about officiating decisions going against us. Both the goals scored by Cardiff and Leicester would have been ruled out next season, and we'll have three more points on the table. The Gross one is trickier though, as the odds on us scoring from that situation are unclear.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
:DNothing to see here folks; move on please.
Just a Monday morning cock up!

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Quite so Weststander, and if we continue being unable to score nil or only one goal in games, we are going to need to employ Lady Luck as an extra defender, because she ain't no striker!:lolol::lolol:

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think that luck and bad luck have evened themselves out so far this season, rough with the smooth and all that cliched bollocks :smile:

el punal

It all evens out over the season, unless you get relegated then it’s a complete shitfest.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Nothing really to do with luck but everything to do with tactics.

Took the lead, cracking goal by Sir Glenn, they had an idiot sent off, controlling the game at half time. Second half we came out played 11 men behind the ball, sitting deeper and deeper, conceding territory and possession....again.......and it was pretty much inevitable that we would concede eventually.

Had we taken advantage of them being down to 10, controlled possession and pressed them, we would have picked up the three points and we wouldn't have to be relying on "luck". For me, it was the tactics and the way we set up in the second half that cost us.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No

Leicester deserved to get all 3 points for their effort and our complete lack of it and any ambition or goal scoring intent with an extra man for an hour

Cardiff was one of thse things, got what we deserved again

Funny how we go down to 10 men and are backs to the wall for an hour and 1 shot against the worst team in the league and when we get the extra man are played off the park for an hour

We have been very poor all season bar a couple of games and are lucky this league is so woeful and the worst since the PL started with 6 shocking teams that are no better than the top half of the championship

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here