Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do referees have a dossier on Glenn Murray?

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I know our Glenn can buy some free kicks, but it seems that refs are determined to give him nothing this season yet are quick to penalise him. At first it was only Kevin Friend but now it seems that they all do the same.
Do you think he has been singled out and if so, why hasn't a certain Mr. Zaha?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not getting involved in whataboutary, but GM is a one trick pony when it comes to 'buying' fouls.

I guess there's only so many times you can go to the well and it would seem his bucket is full.

I thought the ref gave him a hard time yesterday, but by the same token if the Albion were given a foul for every time he felt he was 'fouled' the team would have had 50+ free kicks and would have been hanging on against 4 players.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not know the answer as to whether he has or not but I was told that refs were warned or rather advised about Peter Ward tripping himself to gain a penalty.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
They're human , they watch match of the day , listen to Lineker Shearer and Wright saying how clever he is at buying free kicks and it seems to have stuck , just shows how good he actually is at his job even more really .

Hugo Rune

Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
if the Albion were given a foul for every time he felt he was 'fouled' the team would have had 50+ free kicks and would have been hanging on against 4 players.

I think he got 1 yesterday. Once the Leicester players cottoned on to the Ref’s plan of not giving Murray anything, it was open season on him and he was wrestled, kicked and elbowed constantly. He should have had at least half a dozen fair free kicks yesterday with a gullible ref giving him a dozen.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
They're human , they watch match of the day , listen to Lineker Shearer and Wright saying how clever he is at buying free kicks and it seems to have stuck , just shows how good he actually is at his job even more really .

I suspect it's more than just watching him on MotD. Pretty sure that refs are given plenty of selected examples of certain types of situations and how to interpret them. You'd imagine that Murray in the aftermath of our throw-ins or goal-kicks might constitute a case study.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Almost certainly they do, least wise they all collaborate when they talk, so they are all 'wise' to any individual payers tricks of the trade.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
There were several occasions as the game progressed yesterday were he was literally being grappled and held back by at least one Leicester player. Ref thought this was OK.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I think he got 1 yesterday. Once the Leicester players cottoned on to the Ref’s plan of not giving Murray anything, it was open season on him and he was wrestled, kicked and elbowed constantly. He should have had at least half a dozen fair free kicks yesterday with a gullible ref giving him a dozen.

Yet Okasaki was writhing around in agony with barely any contact. It surprised me when Maddison got a second yellow for diving.
Leicester were awarded every 50/50 challenge, whilst it was all in wrestling against Murray.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
There were several occasions as the game progressed yesterday were he was literally being grappled and held back by at least one Leicester player. Ref thought this was OK.

He did appear to be hard done by yesterday, but make no mistake, Glenn is a wily old professional, and he knows how to 'draw' a foul when he needs to. Maybe he isn't quite as innocent as some people seem to think.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He did appear to be hard done by yesterday, but make no mistake, Glenn is a wily old professional, and he knows how to 'draw' a foul when he needs to. Maybe he isn't quite as innocent as some people seem to think.

I'd be surprised if anyone thinks he's all sweetness & pixie dust, hopefully he's wily enough to draw a foul when he needs too instead of everytime he's close to the ball

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
For Glen unfortunately it's the classic ' boy who cried wolf' scenario. As far back as the Withdean days he is the master of suggesting to the ref that has been pushed in the back. And whilst it often works officials over time get wise to it with the downside that they don't give some decisions when he was clearly fouled. On two occasions yesterday the defenders were virtually bear hugging him yet they waived play on.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A 'dossier' - probably not.

But a former referee we once had on the show did say that they do talk to each other about the occasional behaviour of given individuals.

I’d love to be a member of their WhatsApp group.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I personally think referees have absolutely got it in for Murray. They all have a vendetta against him which is why he never gets any free kicks.

In fact they all hate the club with a passion which is why no decisions ever go our way ever.

I exclude Mike Dean obviously as he remains the stand out official in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here