Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Ian Robertson - rugby commentor

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
After 47 years of brilliant work, Ian retires today. The greatest of all time IMO, always unbiased, with no anti English edge or snide remarks. Here’s his iconic radio piece from 2003:

[video]https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-union/46291539[/video]

I loved BBC2’s Rugby Special on Sunday teatime’s in the amateur Union days, which always included a match commentated on by Ian.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I was working on the day England won the Rugby world Cup, and I listened to that commentary.
I have just played it again, and it still gives me goosebumps.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was working on the day England won the Rugby world Cup, and I listened to that commentary.
I have just played it again, and it still gives me goosebumps.

Same here, goosebumps every time.

It will always be a ‘where were you moment?’ for every sports-loving Englishman. I nervously watched the match at home on my own, with our (first born) baby asleep in his cot upstairs!

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Same here, goosebumps every time.

It will always be a ‘where were you moment?’ for every sports-loving Englishman. I nervously watched the match at home on my own, with our (first born) baby asleep in his cot upstairs!

My son and I were doing some building work in the basement of house in Hanover. The owner wasn't a sports fan, and wondered what all the noise was about as we exploded with joy as Jonny Wilkinson slotted that drop goal !

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
brilliant commentator!

always remember him saying"Iwan Tukalo,he's a big strong lad I tell you"

the Hugh Johns of Rugby

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Watched in a bar on the Tsukumvit Road in Bangkok. Empty but for an Aussie and I. We were both being pestered by ladies the first twenty minutes. We bought a round for them on the condition they leave us alone for the match. Said Aussie was a good lad and took the defeat magnanimously.

Odd afternoon.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here