Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hi viz vest protests in France.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
What is the protest about? The French police arrested a soldier for having a hi viz on the dashboard of his truck. Certainly the protests are quite spectacular but unfortunately they seem to be getting a bit lively.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
What is the protest about? The French police arrested a soldier for having a hi viz on the dashboard of his truck. Certainly the protests are quite spectacular but unfortunately they seem to be getting a bit lively.

An increase in fuel tax and displeasure at napoleon II and his arrogance.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I was in France for two days earlier this week. Virtually every car had a yellow hi-viz jacket on prominet display on it's dashboard and in the town where I was staying most of the shops had manneqins wearing hi-viz jackets on display in their windows.

For the 48-hrs I was there, a roundabout on the edge of the town had about 50 or so protesters on it, all wearing yellow hi-viz and burning tyres and pallets, with the local police keeping a watching vigil. The taxi driver who took me back to Geneva airport told me that at weekends the protesters number about 1000. He also reckons this will be the end of Macron. I must admit, it felt good natured but a it is gathering huge momentum and is truely an organic and 'leaderless' movement so very difficult for the authorities to stop.

The protests are because the government have increased diesel prices by 23% over the past 12 months in an attempt to cut fuel usage.

Last edited:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
T'm a delivery driver here in France,so it's a bit of a nuisance even if you agree with it

as long as you've got the gilet jaune on display and toot your horn,they will wave you through

last Saturday a woman taking her daughter to hospital panicked when surrounded
put her foot down and actually killed one of the protesters

a few people are starting to panic buy,in case they start blockading the refineries
due to kick off again tomorrow

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Somebody already lost their life after a driver panicked and drove through the crowd. I support the protest but come on, people shouldn't be dying.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
T'm a delivery driver here in France,so it's a bit of a nuisance even if you agree with it

as long as you've got the gilet jaune on display and toot your horn,they will wave you through

last Saturday a woman taking her daughter to hospital panicked when surrounded
put her foot down and actually killed one of the protesters

a few people are starting to panic buy,in case they start blockading the refineries
due to kick off again tomorrow
There has not been a lot of coverage of the protest in this country, I have a friend who lives in France and the majority of her Facebook feeds and posts are about the disturbances.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

The Hi-Viz thing is symbolic of drivers everywhere in France due to the fact their motoring rules mean all vehicles should carry at least one Hi Viz. If we acted like the French and forcibly opposed the enforced austerity we have had for 10 years we might not be in the mess we are now. If the money spent on quantative easing had been spent through local councils and in pay rises for nurses, police, teachers etc we might not be in the social mess we are now.

el punal

That’s the French way innit? Man the barricades, storm the Bastille, wheel out the guillotine . . . .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here