[Football] Refreshing interview with Brighton's own Russell Martin

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8673847 said:
Not the Albion's own, but a Brighton lad none the less and spoken about a few times on here in the past as a possible signing.

Shame his paths were never to cross with the Albion as seems like he would be a decent bloke to have around the club.

‘I’m probably deemed a weirdo’: Russell Martin, the footballer who joined the Green party

Edit: Just realised he was with us for a bit during his youth career but ended up at Lewes

I have it on very good authority he was a done deal to come here summer 2016 (I think) from Norwich but Alex Neil got wind of it at the last minute and shut it down.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
He's my fiance's cousin, seems like a really decent guy. The whole football money thing hasn't gone to his head, family man, grounded, kind of a Rosenior kind of character.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
These soccer schools are a business and aren’t cheap. Don’t be misled by the word Foundation.
I know they aren’t cheap for kids to attend but I suspect you are referring to the investment into them. Fine, but it is interesting just how many there are competing with one another but somehow the usual rules on supply and demand don’t seem to work.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I know they aren’t cheap for kids to attend but I suspect you are referring to the investment into them. Fine, but it is interesting just how many there are competing with one another but somehow the usual rules on supply and demand don’t seem to work.

I was commenting on the cost to parents, etc for attending. I also think it’s a shame when kids are pulled away from their local estate/area clubs like Woodingdean. Coldean, Whitehawk because there seems to be some sort of kudos in a parent saying “my little Hugo goes to the X X Academy” as if it’s on merit rather than ability to pay.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I was commenting on the cost to parents, etc for attending. I also think it’s a shame when kids are pulled away from their local estate/area clubs like Woodingdean. Coldean, Whitehawk because there seems to be some sort of kudos in a parent saying “my little Hugo goes to the X X Academy” as if it’s on merit rather than ability to pay.

I agree with you entirely. Additionally many of these acadamies hold a carrot up saying they will refer any good players on to clubs. There is no need - any kids who are any good will always get spotted playing locally as there are that many people/scouts out there talent spotting. From experience I also know just how few ever make it all the way through the system.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
This one is a registered charity and looks to be doing positive things from what I can see.

The commercial side is the RMA, Russell Martin Academy, which does classes around the Brighton area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here