Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Killer Crow

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Talking to a mate at work today and he mentioned about a killer crow in his garden. He had noticed 5 mutilated wood pigeons in his garden over the last 3-4 months and thought it was a cat or maybe a rat. A couple of days ago he was looking out of his window and there were a few wood pigeons on his lawn when a very large crow landed on the back of one of the pigeons and started to peck at the pigeon's head.. Long story short the crow actually pulls the head off the pigeon and flew off. A few minutes later the crow returned to the bloody scene and started to eat the internal organs of the pigeon. I knew the crows eat carrion and baby birds etc but not this.. Have you seen or heard of similar events.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Ive seen a crow attack and kill a pigeon, it did surprise me and the screeching from the surrounding birds was creepy, yeah it happens!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Talking to a mate at work today and he mentioned about a killer crow in his garden. He had noticed 5 mutilated wood pigeons in his garden over the last 3-4 months and thought it was a cat or maybe a rat. A couple of days ago he was looking out of his window and there were a few wood pigeons on his lawn when a very large crow landed on the back of one of the pigeons and started to peck at the pigeon's head.. Long story short the crow actually pulls the head off the pigeon and flew off. A few minutes later the crow returned to the bloody scene and started to eat the internal organs of the pigeon. I knew the crows eat carrion and baby birds etc but not this.. Have you seen or heard of similar events.
Haven't heard of that before. How certain is the identification of the attacker as a crow? Just how large? And how crow-like?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Magpies are not called murdering magpies for nothing. Crows, magpies are from a similar branch of the bird family.
I believe Jays also kill small birds.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Many years ago, my mother looked after a crow that had been injured and when it was recovering, she put it in the garden where it lived quite happily.......for a couple of days; then it was attacked and killed by a possee of other crows, who obviously didn't like this stranger in their territory.
R.I.P. Charlie!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Yes when I lived in Potters Bar, I saw in the park right across from the kitchen window a Crow regularly attack and eat smaller birds who would squawk and jump around trying to get the crow to stop, all to no avail, and one day yes indeed it attacked a pigeon, it did not kill it as the crow got spooked, but the poor pigeon died after a cat found it and played with it for a while.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
a few years ago, when working in Crawley, I witnessed half a dozen crows attacking a Heron (I think it was).

The Heron was a lot larger but the crows were vicious and the Heron was fighting for his life. He flew off, with crows in hot pursuit. I doubt he survived.

It was definitely something you don't see every day in an urban area.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
My Mum used to keep doves when I was a kid, and the crows used to regularly kill them. Horrible things.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
There's one of these embedded in to this thread , which i like , a lot .

c35.gif

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
Many years ago, my mother looked after a crow that had been injured and when it was recovering, she put it in the garden where it lived quite happily.......for a couple of days; then it was attacked and killed by a possee of other crows, who obviously didn't like this stranger in their territory.
R.I.P. Charlie!

Charlie ?

Surely it should have been Sheryl.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
a few years ago, when working in Crawley, I witnessed half a dozen crows attacking a Heron (I think it was).

The Heron was a lot larger but the crows were vicious and the Heron was fighting for his life. He flew off, with crows in hot pursuit. I doubt he survived.

It was definitely something you don't see every day in an urban area.

Quite often over Woodingdean you will see a group of seagulls making a lot of noise and with them a lot of panicking other birds. Look above them and there is usually a buzzard, invariably it is one of the crows that takes them on and chases them off. seagulls will do it but usually there will be several.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There's a woman who lives near me who feeds crows in the morning. When I pass her house, there's always one or two waiting for her to come out - they've obviously know the approximate time that she comes out as they're not there early on or in the afternoon. They must be pretty bright birds

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
R.I.P. Charlie!

Birds instinctively kill injured birds, survival of the fittest and all that. Where I work I witnessed a pack of magpies set upon an injured magpie.
A few months back I heard an infernal racket out the back, looked out my bathroom window and a magpie was attacking a black bird. It seemed like every black bird in the area came to its rescue. The screeching went on for ages.
Several years back I tried to rescue a trapped magpie .... never again! I was surrounded and had to make a run for safety.
I love birds, but they are quick evil imho.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Well the collective noun for crows is a murder so shouldn't be that surprising. Have seen a small group of them gang up and kill a seagull before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here