Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] North Sentinel Island & An American Idiot

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
There's an island in the Indian Ocean called North Sentinel Island, which is home to one of the last groups of people on Earth who are untouched by the modern world.

Under Indian law it is forbidden to go anywhere near this island, and yet this American thought it would be a good idea to go and "introduce them to Jesus". It did not end well:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-by-tribe-north-sentinel-island-declare-jesus

What possesses people to try such utterly stupid things, in the face of all logic and advice? I know that belief in evangelical Christianity is very strong in some parts of the US, but surely there is line where you'd think "you know what, this might not be so smart"?

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Good job they killed him as he could have easily killed them all with virus/germs/bacteria he inadvertently introduced to them.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Trust an American to do this.
If you'd asked what country this person came from, who defied the advice, most people would've guessed right.
It's just typical human curiosity, which obviously didn't end well!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Unbelievably stupid. Even if you ignore the fact that they have always killed any intruders there have been tribes where 90% of the populace has died from what we would consider minor infections when 'introduced' to the outside world.

And now the Americans are bound to want to repatriate his body. It could end very badly.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I suspect that "thinking" didn't play much of a part in this. Pig headed self belief might have though.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I read this yesterday, what an absolute goon, not for getting killed by arrows and spears, but for going there in the first place !
Why can’t people understand and leave these tribes alone and stop trying to force our beliefs and modern life styles upon them.
I watched a program once and one of these tribes were all wearing football shirts and smoking due to western dogooders sticking their noses in !

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
There's an island in the Indian Ocean called North Sentinel Island, which is home to one of the last groups of people on Earth who are untouched by the modern world.

Under Indian law it is forbidden to go anywhere near this island, and yet this American thought it would be a good idea to go and "introduce them to Jesus". It did not end well:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-by-tribe-north-sentinel-island-declare-jesus

What possesses people to try such utterly stupid things, in the face of all logic and advice? I know that belief in evangelical Christianity is very strong in some parts of the US, but surely there is line where you'd think "you know what, this might not be so smart"?

The irony being that they "introduced him to Jesus" sooner than he needed to be!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Danny Baker loves to talk about North Sentinel Island.
If only the American listened to 5-Live, on a Saturday morning, instead of God.

Those of you wishing to get even more perplexed by this level of pig headed stupidity need to go back to listen to tonight's 5-Live Drive between 18:45 & 19:00.

I missed the very beginning but I assume it was one of mad-mans colleagues defending the decision to go because these people needed to be bought the word of God.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I'm surprised it took this long for there to be a thread on this. I've got strong views on the matter but I've tried about 5 different ways of writing them down and i can't find a way to put them across without sounding like a twunt.

He shouldn't have been there and I despise his reasons for being there. Can I use the same tactics for when the JWs come round next time?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm surprised it took this long for there to be a thread on this. I've got strong views on the matter but I've tried about 5 different ways of writing them down and i can't find a way to put them across without sounding like a twunt.

He shouldn't have been there and I despise his reasons for being there. Can I use the same tactics for when the JWs come round next time?
Perhaps this might help:-

The bloke was a knob.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I find the statement from his family saying they forgive the tribe as weird. They don’t need forgiveness, they don’t live by modern laws, they presumably didn’t do anything wrong under their own moral code.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Any volunteers to head over there with an iPad and bring Glenn Murray into their lives?

I think that's where the American chap went wrong.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I read this yesterday, what an absolute goon, not for getting killed by arrows and spears, but for going there in the first place !
Why can’t people understand and leave these tribes alone and stop trying to force our beliefs and modern life styles upon them.
I watched a program once and one of these tribes were all wearing football shirts and smoking due to western dogooders sticking their noses in !

Bloody he’ll something similar must of happened to the North Stand Tribe....

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk

Unfortunately, I'm not sure anyone who has replied to this thread has either read the article fully or has an understanding of the Christianity of the Bible.

a) Why is he an idiot? His diary entries clearly illustrate that he was 100% aware of the risks of going to the island. Have we called astronauts idiots because the risk of a rocket blowing up en route to space is fairly high? Neither Chau nor his family are blaming anyone. The family clearly hold no malice to the islanders, in keeping with their son's wishes, and are working to free those who helped his son reach the island.

b) The New Testament after Jesus' life is full of accounts of his followers enduring persecution for trying to tell people about Jesus' resurrection. Rather than being simply content to "not impose his views on anyone" and live a cushy western life, Chau actually had the conviction of his beliefs to risk his life to bring what he believes is eternal life to others. It was his life to risk and at least he died for a cause he believed was worthy, whether you agree with it or not. Many who laugh at Chau for being an idiot will be currently drinking, smoking or eating their way to an early grave despite every warning under the sun being given to them. History may have a very different view on who the "idiots" were.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Dear God Botherer,

He is an idiot because he thought he knew better than everyone else and wanted to go and inflict his beliefs on people who have repeatedly made clear they do not want to be contacted. Being religious and having faith is not a problem. Believing that your truth is superior to everyone else's is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here