Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Environmental Campaigners

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Anyone else been caught/effected (or affected - I don't know which Im from Jarvis Brook!) by their antics this week?

For the second day on the trot they are intermittently blocking the road and roundabout outside our offices (which is at the Elephant and Castle - its 'up and coming' snobs! - a bad enough roundabout to negotiate at the best of times.

So in the name of the environment, the road is blocked with cars with their engines running but going nowhere; people who have tried to do the right thing by using sustainable methods i.e the bus are delayed and the local residents and workers suffer both of the above and the sound of lots of flipped off motorists literally leaning on their car horns for 30 minute periods whilst they queue.

How does that help the environment?

With tactics like that the Greenham Common lot should have considered setting off the cruise missiles in the 80's to show how bad they were, it would have saved them camping there all that time.

Swampy and his mates should've let them build roads and runways everywhere and then pointed at them and said; 'see we told you it was going to be noisy'.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I worked for a utility once and they had some protesters turn up. They were protesting that a firm that was being proposed for some work had 'black listed employees who raised concerns with Health and Safety'.

I raised two points with the idiot that accosted me when I was walking in to the office. 1 - they were insisting the company never be considered. i referenced this was black listing. He didn't get it. 2 - Health and Safety concerns had led to supposed black listing but they managed to block the entrance to our office by going the wrong way down a one way road, climbed over railings to hang banners, nearly run a couple of people over when reversing out.

In short - protesters aren't always the smartest of people. Unfortunately the sort I came across will mean that the ones with a decent message don't get heard as much

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The whole point is to inconvenience people and get hem to ask why they are being inconvenienced. Good on em I say, the delays are nothing compared to those I experience on the trains everyday.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Anyone else been caught/effected (or affected - I don't know which Im from Jarvis Brook!) by their antics this week?

For the second day on the trot they are intermittently blocking the road and roundabout outside our offices (which is at the Elephant and Castle - its 'up and coming' snobs! - a bad enough roundabout to negotiate at the best of times.

So in the name of the environment, the road is blocked with cars with their engines running but going nowhere; people who have tried to do the right thing by using sustainable methods i.e the bus are delayed and the local residents and workers suffer both of the above and the sound of lots of flipped off motorists literally leaning on their car horns for 30 minute periods whilst they queue.

With tactics like that the Greenham Common lot should have considered setting off the cruise missiles in the 80's to show how bad they were, it would have saved them camping there all that time.

Swampy and his mates should've let them build roads and runways everywhere and then pointed at them and said; 'see we told you it was going to be noisy'.

Good on em, making a sacrifice for the common good

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

cSQBTLF.gif

It's got people talking about it which I suppose is their objective.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
We need a lot more people to campaign against the destruction of our environment. I'm delighted that people are, at last, sitting up and taking notice, albeit not enough people and perhaps too late to save the planet.

The level of Carbon Dioxide in our atmosphere is at unprecedented levels - look at the graph in this link! https://climate.nasa.gov/climate_resources/24/graphic-the-relentless-rise-of-carbon-dioxide/

I am not sure that mucking folk about is necessarily the right way to go about things -if you are stuck in a jam, and miss, say, an important meeting/interview etc, then you would be most unlikely to have sympathy with those disrupting. That having been said, a year ago, I started a thread on here suggesting that that, with several months notice, we take a lead and ban all cars from the roads for one Sunday a month, with the exception of emergency vehicles and public transport, as some sort of compromise. It was so disappointing to have replies saying that that this would disrupt their trip to wherever -the reality is that your average citizen is not that bothered, or rather bothered to the extent that they would make any change to their lifestyle.
]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here