Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Craig Mackail-Smith feature on YouTube

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
[YT]Uj1DKjF8bQw[/yt]

What a signing at the time, a real shame how it all worked out for him. :down: Loved him at the time, and I love him now.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
It was a massive statement of intent at the time. Just so weird that we played a system that totally didn’t suit him.

That cross for Ulloa’s goal at Forest though ��

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Watching this interview, it's brilliantly done. So much behind the scenes footage, including a shot of Sami post-Millwall catastrophe.

I think I'd forgotten his goals to game ratio in that second season, before the disaster at Bristol City. We just never really saw him in full flow in an attacking team.

Not to re-write history, because it is what it is. But I haven't been as excited by a signing as I was about his. Vicente, of course - but I couldn't believe we'd got Mackail-Smith. It was exciting and surprising. He seems a lovely bloke, I'll be making a trip to Wycombe to see him play again.

NorthLainer

Aug 12, 2011
Now available in Hove
A good watch. Comes across as a really grounded guy. Reckons he was too hard on himself and that affected his performances. Shame his injury took out a large chunk of his time with us.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Very political about the broken promises from the initial chat with Gus and Taricco. He looks to have lost a lot of upper body bulk now, I always thought he looked too stacked. Not quite Lukaku levels of sheer chunk, but too bulky to be as effective as he was at Peterborough.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Shame it never actually really worked for him here, for several reasons, his effort could never be faulted and therefore will always be a legend in his time here at the Albion.
Funny how while here at the same time Barnes did as much and arguably was more successful in front of goal, was constantly chastised by the Brighton Boo Boys....

Both great players for the Albion in my eyes.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Still have yet to see someone running in that individual style of his.

I maintain that, despite his injuries, the Championship may have been one rung too far. A good L1/L2 player.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Shame it never actually really worked for him here, for several reasons, his effort could never be faulted and therefore will always be a legend in his time here at the Albion.
Funny how while here at the same time Barnes did as much and arguably was more successful in front of goal, was constantly chastised by the Brighton Boo Boys....

Your right, it was the Brighton boo boys who did for Ash in the end. I loved him too though, and although not prolific in front of goal did an awful lot of good work off the ball. Often played out of position by Gus too to 'do a job' for team, which he did well and more tyhan willingly.

But hey, this thread is or should be, about CMS.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Got to be up there as one of our worst signings ever. Certainly not the worst player, far from it but for the money he cost at the time and where the club was to what he actually delivered just showed he was out of depth and it eventually caught up with him.

He was liked more than Barnes though because he came across like a nice guy, he had nice hair and a dopey goal celebration all he was missing was a foreign sounding name and he would have had the full house of things that are important to some our of fans.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011

Legend? No chance mate.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
giphy.gif

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
That was an interesting interview. Always gave of his best. He always came over as a decent bloke - and so it turns out. And it was exciting when we signed him - he looked good for Posh even in that game at London Road where we were effing brilliant.

Just not the type of player we needed at that juncture.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
To be fair, while he wasn't prolific, he did win us a fair few points.

£2.5m was silly money at the time though, and it still is in today's money.

33 goals in a season for Peterborough was prolific. He got 11 goals in the Championship with us before his injury.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Very political about the broken promises from the initial chat with Gus and Taricco. He looks to have lost a lot of upper body bulk now, I always thought he looked too stacked. Not quite Lukaku levels of sheer chunk, but too bulky to be as effective as he was at Peterborough.

Amazing looking back at that footage how big he looked post injury. For someone that relied on pace it’s no wonder he struggled. He looked absolutely stacked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here