Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Fantastic Beasts - The Crimes of Grindelwald

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I consider myself to be a Harry Potter world fan. I’ve read all the books, I’ve watched all the films, I’ve been to Universal several times. I even have my own wand carefully selected.

So tonight I went to watch Fantastic Beasts 2.

What the hell was that all about?

Lots of confused looking people coming out of the cinema.

Liked parts of it, but seemed very contrived to bring together a number of story threads to presumably lead into the next film. But very confusing. The two slightly less Potter people I went with were even more baffled. One of them fell asleep!

Would love to know how kids follow it. Maybe it doesn’t matter though as it’s still mostly fun.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I consider myself to be a Harry Potter world fan. I’ve read all the books, I’ve watched all the films, I’ve been to Universal several times. I even have my own wand carefully selected.

Liked parts of it, but seemed very contrived to bring together a number of story threads to presumably lead into the next film. But very confusing. The two slightly less Potter people I went with were even more baffled. One of them fell asleep!

Would love to know how kids follow it. Maybe it doesn’t matter though as it’s still mostly fun.

We went to see it night before last, also big Potter fans.
My own view, is that its a link to the next film, in respect to filling in information to the latter, without being too blockbuster.
Still enjoyed it, especially the fluffy jingly bell on stick to entice Dragon into case.

More madness here:

http://www.mugglenet.com

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I read a review which explains this is the second film of five, and the plot is being stretched too thinly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mods can you merger with the film thread. :lolol:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’m no Potter fan so I was on a hiding to nothing I guess but o found the movie very boring and a little incomprehensible.
Classic ‘author’ trying her hand at film making and failing. I managed to stay awake but did not have a clue what was happening most of the time. Give it a miss unless you are a grade A Potter nerd. I suppose it’s set up the next 3 films but has achieved little more.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Designed exclusively to remove money from kidults pockets. Cynical exercise to keep a lucrative revenue stream flowing. That’s all well and good if they actually produce something entertaining and enjoyable.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Love Potter, books and films. Not a fan of prequels though, so I'll give Fantastic Beasts (is it a series of five? - strewth!) a miss. Read the Accursed Child, but don't enjoy reading it in script for a play format. Tried re-reading it, got half way and gave up - if she'd put it out as a proper novel I'd probably enjoy it.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Saw it last night.
Big Potter fan.

A bit of a mess with plot points and storylines.
Second half of the film picked up, first half totally missable outside of the carriage scene in the air.

Depp was decent imo. The Americans are irritating.
Jude Law decent too.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Big fan but terrible film. Thought the first was pretty dreadful but still light-years ahead of this one sadly.

Fingers crossed they get their act together for the next 3 as I'm certain to be dragged there by the Mrs

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Was going to go this weekend but perhaps won't bother now if it's as disappointing as many here have said. Thanks for the warning. Still trying to get the 3 hours of my life back from seeing Batman vs Superman 3 years ago!

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Screenshot_20181120-211248_Instagram.jpg

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
May as well put this here as it's just reminded me and it really needs sharing (for me at least as I'm still a bit "Bishop Brennan after Ted kicked him up the arse").

The other week I took my son to South Yorkshire winter cricket nets which are done at a nice sports complex owned by Hallam university. Seeing as the Cardiff game was about to kick off, I dropped him off at the hall with his mates, legged it over to the upstairs cafe and got them to change the channel from VH1 CHRISTMAS HITS to Sky Sports.

The cafe overlooks cricket, football and rugby pitches with balconies on either side and as I settled down to watch the match with a sandwich and a cup of tea, I noticed what looked like a hockey match going on outside.

I didn't pay much attention as I was watching the game but it did look a bit odd and it was only when another couple of cricket dads joined me for the football that someone pointed out that they weren't playing hockey.

There were "goals" but they were circular hoops hung up from posts and what I'd thought were hockey sticks were bits of wood that the players were holding between their legs as they ran around.

"**** me" one of the blokes said "it's quidditch!".

At half time we took a closer look. None of us could work out what the hell was going on but my word it was funny.

It was some sort of university tournament and over about 10 pitches there were hundreds of the geekiest geeks I've ever seen, running around with sticks between their legs, throwing balls at each other, at hoops, at the ground, with referees seemingly controlling things.

There were four or five balls on the pitch and one fat lass seemed to just have the job of luzzing a ball at other people's heads.

At one point a big lad in a yellow shirt (looked a bit like Stockdale) ran on and started throwing other nerds on the floor as they tried to grab a flag from his shorts.

"What the actual **** is going on?!" was the gist of the conversation.

We were actually crying with laughter at this point but then calmed it down as we noticed that the cafe was filling up with participants who had finished their "matches" and we didn't want to seem like twats.

Not being harsh but these were ALL the type of people that you would have avoided being friends with at school. At all costs.

I've never seen anything like it.

I went to pick my son up and we went back to the cafe to watch the end of the game and get him some lunch. It even lightened the shite result as after the final whistle we went out on the balcony to see the next round of gimpery.

After five minutes the nipper was getting cold so I said "we can watch it from inside while you finish your chips if you like?" he said "it's ok dad, I've seen enough" and burst out laughing.

To each their own but **** me. I never knew this was a thing and I sort of wish I didn't now.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
May as well put this here as it's just reminded me and it really needs sharing (for me at least as I'm still a bit "Bishop Brennan after Ted kicked him up the arse").

The other week I took my son to South Yorkshire winter cricket nets which are done at a nice sports complex owned by Hallam university. Seeing as the Cardiff game was about to kick off, I dropped him off at the hall with his mates, legged it over to the upstairs cafe and got them to change the channel from VH1 CHRISTMAS HITS to Sky Sports.

The cafe overlooks cricket, football and rugby pitches with balconies on either side and as I settled down to watch the match with a sandwich and a cup of tea, I noticed what looked like a hockey match going on outside.

I didn't pay much attention as I was watching the game but it did look a bit odd and it was only when another couple of cricket dads joined me for the football that someone pointed out that they weren't playing hockey.

There were "goals" but they were circular hoops hung up from posts and what I'd thought were hockey sticks were bits of wood that the players were holding between their legs as they ran around.

"**** me" one of the blokes said "it's quidditch!".

At half time we took a closer look. None of us could work out what the hell was going on but my word it was funny.

It was some sort of university tournament and over about 10 pitches there were hundreds of the geekiest geeks I've ever seen, running around with sticks between their legs, throwing balls at each other, at hoops, at the ground, with referees seemingly controlling things.

There were four or five balls on the pitch and one fat lass seemed to just have the job of luzzing a ball at other people's heads.

At one point a big lad in a yellow shirt (looked a bit like Stockdale) ran on and started throwing other nerds on the floor as they tried to grab a flag from his shorts.

"What the actual **** is going on?!" was the gist of the conversation.

We were actually crying with laughter at this point but then calmed it down as we noticed that the cafe was filling up with participants who had finished their "matches" and we didn't want to seem like twats.

Not being harsh but these were ALL the type of people that you would have avoided being friends with at school. At all costs.

I've never seen anything like it.

I went to pick my son up and we went back to the cafe to watch the end of the game and get him some lunch. It even lightened the shite result as after the final whistle we went out on the balcony to see the next round of gimpery.

After five minutes the nipper was getting cold so I said "we can watch it from inside while you finish your chips if you like?" he said "it's ok dad, I've seen enough" and burst out laughing.

To each their own but **** me. I never knew this was a thing and I sort of wish I didn't now.

So to summarise, people the mainstream don't want to hang around with, shouldn't do something harmless they enjoy with each other, for fear the mainstream might find it amusing?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
So to summarise, people the mainstream don't want to hang around with, shouldn't do something harmless they enjoy with each other, for fear the mainstream might find it amusing?
I knew I'd get grief for this. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Which team do you play for btw. And could you explain the rules?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here