Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Briton jailed for life in UAE.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wouldn't mind holding her in "inhumane and degrading" conditions.

Am I right... Am I right?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm CERTAIN that Trump - if asked - will definitely give the RIGHT answer on this one.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Surprised he didn't receive death penalty if UAE has it for such crimes. Every cloud...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This looks like a complete failure of diplomacy. Who are winners here? And this in the week when hundreds of Brits will be at Formula 1's grand season finale at Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I really don't know why the UK keeps doing business with these disgusting backward, stone age Middle East states. Well OK, I do, oil and weapons, but it's about time we put our morals first.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I really don't know why the UK keeps doing business with these disgusting backward, stone age Middle East states. Well OK, I do, oil and weapons, but it's about time we put our morals first.

Agreed. On the same day that Save the Children have reported

An estimated 85,000 children under the age of five have starved to death over the last three years as a result of Yemen’s civil war, a report from Save the Children has found, as the charity urged an immediate ceasefire to prevent more loss of life.

The figure is a conservative estimate based on UN data on severe acute malnutrition, which the international body says has afflicted more than 1.3 million children since the conflict between Houthi rebels and the Saudi-led coalition that seeks to restore Yemen’s exiled government began in 2015.

About 14 million people – half of Yemen’s population – are currently at risk of famine, largely because of Saudi border blockades designed to weaken the Houthis, which have also strangled civilian access to food, fuel, aid and commercial goods.

...and we are still selling Arabs weapons :nono:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
"researching the country's security strategy." sounds an awful lot like spying.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Just illustrates that there are some 'no go' countries and it is just not worth the risk of going there.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Just illustrates that there are some 'no go' countries and it is just not worth the risk of going there.
A few years ago a mate of mine got a contract to do some rope access work on some sort of oil project in Pakistan. Him and the other guys were told it was a safe area and it was only a four week job, good money etc etc.

Alarm bells started ringing when the trucks taking them from the hotel to the job took FOREVER to get there. More so when they saw what looked like a heavily armed border control post. They kicked off and got the bloke in charge to tell them what was going on. The job was actually in Afghanistan.

After a lot of shouting, the blokes who still wanted to go negotiated double the rate. My mate and the others who said "**** that" were bussed back to their hotels, paid off and sent home.

Some things are more important than money and some countries look benign on the face of it but are just as dangerous.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Cash is king I'm afraid, we can't let any business opportunity slip from now on, no matter how odious they are.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Cash is king I'm afraid, we can't let any business opportunity slip from now on, no matter how odious they are.
It's not just "from now on" though unfortunately. Always has been and always will be. We'll just be a bit more desperate to deal with total scum, whatever the moral cost.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

This all day long. I don't understand why people don't realise this. I will not set foot in many countries. Sure they're perfectly safe and nothing bad happen to me but there's always a small risk and their draconian laughable laws by our standards means I wouldn't want to run the risk. Alcohol in your bloodstream arriving in transit on an aircraft...? That'll be 230 years solitary confinement m'royal shakiness! No thanks!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's not just "from now on" though unfortunately. Always has been and always will be. We'll just be a bit more desperate to deal with total scum, whatever the moral cost.

True, but it will get worse now. Trump with his views on Saudi Arabia have set a new all time low.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Yet you support a terrorist group in Hamas lol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here