Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Only 2 teams have run less than us this year

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
You don't need to run when you are defending on the edge of the penalty area, with two well drilled defensive lines, stats not surprising at all.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
No need to run much with our cunning defensive strategy. Soak up pressure most of the game and hit 'em on the break late in the match (the old rope a dope is our way)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You don't need to run when you are defending on the edge of the penalty area, with two well drilled defensive lines, stats not surprising at all.

Yup. This is what has defined our season, and we've scored first quite early in games and then sat back (and against Everton even equalised swiftly). It'd be interesting to see our work rate -- or distance covered -- versus United, especially in the first half when we played the high pressing game (I can't really remember us doing it too frequently beyond that game, despite it featuring as a new development this season).
The other thing worth pointing out is that certainly early on last season all three of Gross, Stephens and Propper were in the top ten for distance covered.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
West Ham and Cardiff

Other interesting stats here https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...thest-missed-most-chances-12-games-statistics

Least crosses in the league but not the least headed attempts. With Glenn being such a threat in the air, should we stick it in the mixer more often?

Easier said than done.
Our crossing from open play is awful. All the wide men are terrible. Full backs not much better. Only Gross is able to deliver with any regular accuracy and he ain't been playing.
......all together now ( to the tune of ' The Wombles ' )...." Underhit, overhit, again and again.....the wingers of Brighton can never find Glenn "

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
After all the extra running we heard so much about in pre-season, perhaps they all got tired out.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Easier said than done.
Our crossing from open play is awful. All the wide men are terrible. Full backs not much better. Only Gross is able to deliver with any regular accuracy and he ain't been playing.
......all together now ( to the tune of ' The Wombles ' )...." Underhit, overhit, again and again.....the wingers of Brighton can never find Glenn "

The stats suggest are crossing isn't bad when compared with other teams. We have had a similar number of headed attempts to others with far fewer crosses.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London

Absolutely love this.

Frustrates the crap out of me when March crosses one in that goes out for a throw the opposite side with no one in the box or Bong hitting the first man.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is slightly surprising as I'm sure I saw fairly early last season that Gross and Propper were both in the top 5 runners in the whole league. We are having to play differently without those two, and we are missing them.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
This is slightly surprising as I'm sure I saw fairly early last season that Gross and Propper were both in the top 5 runners in the whole league. We are having to play differently without those two, and we are missing them.

Stephens was right up there last season too

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Absolutely love this.

Frustrates the crap out of me when March crosses one in that goes out for a throw the opposite side with no one in the box or Bong hitting the first man.

Yeh. His assists for our last two goals from crosses have been so frustrating :D

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Anyone able to offer any insight on this: pass map.jpeg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here