Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sin Bins for football - are coming.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
or the temporary dismissal of players for dissent...

They will be introduced in the grassroots, in the lower tier leagues from 2019/20
http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/jul/30/sin-bins-300718

They are currently being tested in various leagues including the league / u16 team that i manage. We've had a couple dispatched to the sidelines this season (swearing !!) and with the right ref can quickly prevent unnecessary chat and "feedback". Its working for lads on sunday mornings at least.

On other hand Its hard to manage, with a single ref, the timings especially in kids leagues, so the logistics are interesting. And if a ref finds it difficult to impose control/authority - it doesn't make much difference anyway. And one of the refs we had this season refused to do it. ("none of that FA bollocks" he said !)

Would they work in the professional leagues ? Is it , with VAR on its way , is it another inevitable way of professionalising refereeing. or turning er, football into rugby. Refs will have microphones next.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
It seems to be working as a reasonable deterrent for players at junior level. Just need to find a similar way of controlling the behaviour of parents.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
How will the ref monitor what time the player is allowed back on the pitch? If he's sent a few off? I predict plenty of profanity problems on park pitches..

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
If its applied with consistency I think its a great idea. My worry would be it won't be. My experience of amateur referring would be that you'll get wild variations in interpretation of what constitutes dissent.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
As well as usual stoppages and VAR, and know possibly sin bins.
Might this add to more disruption to our great game?

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Great idea. Green card in Hockey = 2 mins off...Yellow card between 5 and 10 ref decides...two yellows for same offence = rest of match.

torchieboy

Jul 11, 2003
felpham, near bognor regis
Have it in the arun and Chichester youth league. We had 2 sin bins in our under 16 match which cost us the match. Both for dissent. Only ones we've had as we learnt our lesson. Really good idea. Stops any dissent towards the ref. Long may it last

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Have it in the arun and Chichester youth league. We had 2 sin bins in our under 16 match which cost us the match. Both for dissent. Only ones we've had as we learnt our lesson. Really good idea. Stops any dissent towards the ref. Long may it last

How long is each sin binning and who timed them? The ref I presume. On his watch? Set an alarm?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
All for it. Positive change. Talking of time lost- well some is lost because players don't stop moaning.

I guess it would be monitored by the fourth official.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A question how are the players that have been sin binned introduced back onto the pitch, do they still require the referees permission or can they come straight back on when the sin bin penalty has elapsed.
I assume that if introduced into the football league the player would be waived on when the time penalty has elapsed by the 4th official regardless of where the play is at that time, rather than waiting for the referees permission, which would be a significant change from the current laws for players returning into play.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
D7 junior is a referee and the sin bin has made a difference this season - nearly all backchat from 11-14 year olds has gone as they know they’ll be in sin bin. Just need equivalent for gobby parents who have no idea of the FA Respect campaign

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Had it rugby for years. Works a treat with young players, they learn when they're about 9 that gobbing off gets you nowhere. In six years of watching my kids play junior rugby, I've only seen one yellow card for dissent - it's drummed into them that's not the done thing.

jonsey

Aug 5, 2011
North Sussex
Horsham and District Youth league, Mid Sussex League and some of the Southern Combination already using the sin bins. Not as many issued as you would think, great tool to use when talking to players. Many more leagues will have to take it on next year. As an older referee ( yes, its out there now......) its fairly easy to use and to monitor the times of those in the sin bin. Just worry for younger referees that its more to consider for the younger refs as well as the game going on at the same time.
Dissent is a huge issue and sin bins do appear to be a positive step

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
When they change the back pass law I’ll believe it.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Good idea, should be for dissent and feigning injury.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here