Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Michael Johnson Olympic athlete

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I didn't realise until today, that he had a massive stroke in September. He is only 50, never smoked, or drank and was at fit as a fiddle.
It just goes to show, you never know.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/46234803

Yes, I saw that too and had not heard about if before. A friend of mine in SA had a stroke at the age of 35 and he was a long distance cyclist and seemingly extremely fit. It does indeed go to show that you never know.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A lot of these athletes train to the very cusp of their physical capability and sometimes beyond. There is being fit and healthy, then there is training to your physical limits. Then, when they train through common colds and illness, the stress on heart and their inner systems is particularly great. It is not uncommon for problems later in life.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I worked with a very good marathon runner( international standard). At the time, I was reasonably fit, couple of games of football a week, boxing training, although I had stopped boxing then, he was super fit, he could run all day. He would get every cold, virus, bug, etc that was going around, I was never ill, in those days.

If we went for a run together, he would constantly tell me how unfit I was, I would say that, he was right , I wasn’t as fit as him, but, I was a lot healthier.
I do think there is a big difference.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I do wonder if these people simply have access to quite sophisticated annual checks that flag up things that they might otherwise never know, perhaps prompted by their own inquisitiveness or perhaps they are required by their very large life insurance policies.

I like his punditry, although I sense he finds it difficult to celebrate a UK athlete that just missed out on third place by coming fifth in the same way as his British colleagues ......

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I hadn't seen this at all. Glad he's making a good recovery.

I've worked alongside him on BBC athletics events a fair few times, and he seems an absolutely top man. Unfailingly pleasant and polite to us little people, who make the event work.

The same is very much NOT the case, with one or two of his colleagues.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

I've worked alongside him on BBC athletics events a fair few times, and he seems an absolutely top man. Unfailingly pleasant and polite to us little people, who make the event work.

Please tell me not Colin Jackson? :nono:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Please tell me not Colin Jackson? :nono:

Ha.

Colin Jackson, is also a decent bloke.

He did raise eyebrows through, when he turned up in the control room at a swimming event we were doing, (to watch Mark Foster) wearing skin-tight jeans, with 'BITCH' emblazoned in diamante across his bottom!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I remember reading something similar in Steven Redgrave's autobiography.
Where when he had retired, he was worrying about his fitness levels, where his muscular heart would turn to flab resulting in future issues.
He had to de-train, so as his heart could reduce down to a normal size.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I take the view that fitness and a lot of the illnesses we get are not totally correlated. All we can do is look after ourselves the best we can and keep our fingers crossed (without getting cramp in them).

el punal

I worked with a very good marathon runner( international standard). At the time, I was reasonably fit, couple of games of football a week, boxing training, although I had stopped boxing then, he was super fit, he could run all day. He would get every cold, virus, bug, etc that was going around, I was never ill, in those days.

If we went for a run together, he would constantly tell me how unfit I was, I would say that, he was right , I wasn’t as fit as him, but, I was a lot healthier.
I do think there is a big difference.

An interesting point. My son in law is very fit and does a lot of hardcore cycling, he often takes on the Tour de France mountain stages as a challenge. Having said that he is not obsessive but just likes to be in good condition. A couple of years ago he took part in a triathlon at Hever Castle - it was part of a series of Castle Triathlons being held throughout the U.K. I must admit it was knackering just watching the competitors doing their stuff and fair play to them for their effort.
What astounded me was, at the end of all that exertion, that some of those triathletes were off to do another competition the next weekend and the one after. Now, that’s what I call obsessive.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I remember reading something similar in Steven Redgrave's autobiography.
Where when he had retired, he was worrying about his fitness levels, where his muscular heart would turn to flab resulting in future issues.
He had to de-train, so as his heart could reduce down to a normal size.

He was also an insulin dependent diabetic.

Slick Cherry

Banned
Oct 26, 2018
I think Trump has it right regarding exercise.....can't be healthy to use up your heartbeats unnecessary .....we only have two billion or so then thats it.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Nice to hear. I think he is also a top, top pundit. To say he knows what he is talking about is an understatement. The BBC has done very well to get him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here