Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Bands who were ridiculed for being unoriginal or shite, but years later sound brilliant

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I love pop including Europop probably far more than most, inthe community TV station late night on a Friday, so cluding the odd track by “naff” artists despised by others. But they generally have no pretentions of musical grandeur.

DD were in it for the fame, women and money (not bad choices at all :smile:), but after copying the ideas of others and with a faux ground-breaking angle.

I was in Canada when they hit pay dirt and all I got was the dirty videos on a late night on Friday so I can't comment on their finer motives. :lolol:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Duran Duran had just one thing going for them and they let him get away and replaced him with one of the most cringe-worthy front-men in the history of pop music. They are unbelievably self regarding. To most music fans they were their era's Westlife, but to themselves they were David Bowie crossed with the Velvet Underground. At the time Spandau Ballet seemed up themselves, hanging around with Robert Elms can make you do that, but they now look back and have a mature view of their place in music history, Unlike Duran, they even made the odd decent record amongst the fluff and froth of pop stardom. Duran Duran look back and try to argue that they were an important rock band robbed of their place in music history by being popular with teen girls, when really, the only thing they will be remembered for is proving that not even Nile Rogers could polish a turd.

Stephen Duffy, you missed the money and fame, but this was worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIQG9-s3fr8

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Duran Duran had just one thing going for them and they let him get away and replaced him with one of the most cringe-worthy front-men in the history of pop music. They are unbelievably self regarding. To most music fans they were their era's Westlife, but to themselves they were David Bowie crossed with the Velvet Underground. At the time Spandau Ballet seemed up themselves, hanging around with Robert Elms can make you do that, but they now look back and have a mature view of their place in music history, Unlike Duran, they even made the odd decent record amongst the fluff and froth of pop stardom. Duran Duran look back and try to argue that they were an important rock band robbed of their place in music history by being popular with teen girls, when really, the only thing they will be remembered for is proving that not even Nile Rogers could polish a turd.

Stephen Duffy, you missed the money and fame, but this was worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIQG9-s3fr8

Bloody hell, one of the best NSC posts ever. Sums up my own thoughts throughout on DD, as well as all my music loving mates. Initially Spandu were irritating as well because they did exactly the same thing in cashing in on a genre pioneered by unsung creatives. But they were the lesser of two evils and the lead singer could sing.

The only DD fans I’ve ever met are females going on about John Taylor, the ‘music’ is never mentioned.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Supertramp

Unfashionable but brilliant

Paul samrah and I are superfans.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Disagree, regardless of their good looks and clothes style, there songs are well written, great musicality. They are brilliant live. Like a proper rock pop band. Duran durann's music also never seems to age. Always sounds fresh.

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Disagree, regardless of their good looks and clothes style, there songs are well written, great musicality. They are brilliant live. Like a proper rock pop band. Duran durann's music also never seems to age. Always sounds fresh.

Your argument may have stood up, but for one fatal flaw that you didn't consider.

We've heard them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can remember this band being garbage in the early 80s. Some people I knew at the time would avoid going into a venue if they were even a support act.

Then they started to take them selves more seriously and produced some great stuff.

They don't fit my criteria as I always thought they were great. But they didn't sell. Shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmfd2x1k80U

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
They don't fit my criteria as I always thought they were great. But they didn't sell. Shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmfd2x1k80U

That clip to me is an example of when they were shit. I obviously can't quite get into alternative music the way that goths can. Who were their early followers.

H&C started out as a University band from Monash Uni in Melbourne. I knew Hunter (a friend of a friend) the bother of the band's French Horn player. (who is on a list of world renowned French Horn players, should a leading orchestra require the services of one)
When the band was first formed it was Hunter & a Collection of his mates.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
The Style Council who were always and understandably compared to the Jam were a really good band. I would add The Beautiful South who were also very unfavourably compared to The Housemartins

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I tried. I still can't stand it.

There were enough goons with Grolsch bottle tops on their shoes in those days to allow a sneaking admiration for them. Also watched the documentary about them the other night. Seem like really genuine lads who’ve been through a lot.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That clip to me is an example of when they were shit. I obviously can't quite get into alternative music the way that goths can. Who were their early followers.

H&C started out as a University band from Monash Uni in Melbourne. I knew Hunter (a friend of a friend) the bother of the band's French Horn player. (who is on a list of world renowned French Horn players, should a leading orchestra require the services of one)
When the band was first formed it was Hunter & a Collection of his mates.

Wow. Thanks for that :thumbsup:

They were played a lot on CITR, the university radio station in Vancouver, 83-86 when i was there doing my PhD. I absolutely loved them immediately. But they were not at all popular. I would never have called them Goth. One album was produced by Connie Planc (spelling). I absolutely loved the singer, Mark Seymour https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Seymour

There is a great vid of some grunge band (a famous american one) doing 'throw your arms around me' with Mark singing duet, on youtube.

Nobody in the band was called 'Hunter' as far as I'm aware.....was the band named after the Hunter you mention? I though the name was a play on 'hunter gatherer'....

All the best from darkest Faversham.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here