Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What's happened to my oven and do yo know someone who can look at it?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We have an AEG double oven.

It was warming up to cook yesterday and it suddenly stopped working. From the lounge, I thought I was a flash from the kitchen, although I'm not sure as no one else noticed anything. We did hear a sort of bang, not dissimilar to the sound that happens if we leave the grill tray in the oven and it reacts to getting hot. We opened the oven and there seemed to be some smoke, but it didn't smell at all so maybe it was steam. Dunno.

Anyway, neither of the ovens nor the AEG hob above it now turn on at all. The isolation switch on the kitchen wall is in the on position and no fuses in the fuse cupboard have tripped at all.

What's likely to have happened to it, and do you know of anyone Worthing-ish who look at this sort of thing?

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Shall I do it....?

Have you switched it off and on again?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Are the hob and double oven all connected to the same circuit? If they are what cowboy did that?

This ! And the isolation switches ( note the plural ) may well have fuses.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Are the hob and double oven all connected to the same circuit? If they are what cowboy did that?

1. Given both are not working, I assume so, but I know nothing about wiring etc.

2. No idea who did it. We inherited it with the house.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This ! And the isolation switches ( note the plural ) may well have fuses.

There's an isolation switch for the hood that has a very obvious fuse next to the switch itself.

The big red switch which we now assume is for both the oven and the hob (we've had no need to check before) does not have a fuse bit next to the switch, although maybe there's one inside if I remove the front panel of the switch?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
1. Given both are not working, I assume so, but I know nothing about wiring etc.

2. No idea who did it. We inherited it with the house.
Get a sparks in to check supply issues as both have gone down it does sound like an electrical issue and not oven related. Neutral burn out is quite common in the (Red Switch).

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Surely there's an iOven out there somwehere, to allow remote repair over t'interweb and all the latest gizmos on it.
There is surely a geek somewhere who has filmed himself fixing one of these and uploaded it to youtube :)

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Go to the fuse box the cooker should be on its own circuit find it turn it off and back on as MCBs can trip but not always throw the lever do this first then see where you are

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There is surely a geek somewhere who has filmed himself fixing one of these and uploaded it to youtube :)

You mean this bloke?

hqdefault.jpg

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Go to the fuse box the cooker should be on its own circuit find it turn it off and back on as MCBs can trip but not always throw the lever do this first then see where you are

...most likely sitting on your arse on the other side of the kitchen with an interesting hair style and smoldering clothes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here