Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Tablets advice

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
For Xmas, I was planning on upgrading my son's old iPad mini to a full-size one with more GB etc.

Someone then said I should get an Amazon Fire Tablet instead: "Does the same and loads cheaper".

I just wanted to check that most (if not all) the games and apps he's downloaded onto his old iPad can be transferred to an Amazon Fire Tablet. Including all the 'worlds' he's built in Minecraft etc?!

My worry is that if they came all from the Apple App store, via his mum's iTunes account, does that in fact mean they won't work on a Amazon Fire, because that's Android?

It seems a simple question, but I can't find a simple answer online. Every article/review just starts going on about microprocessors etc.

So, without starting to turn into Ben's Grandad, can anyone help me?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
thats a good question. i reckon the worlds are stored locally, so wouldnt easily be transfered from Apple to Amazon. Id look up for some conversion/migration tools for Minecraft, as im sure its technically possible.

you'd have to repurchase many apps to get the Android version.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
In theory, Christian Benteke also does the same as Mo Salah, but is much cheaper.

In reality, a Fire is far less powerful than the latest iPad. You will not be able to transfer the apps from the iPad to the Fire tablet - there may be one or two exceptions, but in all practical sense you will be re-purchasing everything. Some data can be transferred between the two, but I don't think you'll be able to do it with Minecraft worlds. In theory, you should be able to copy the world save to a PC and then from the PC to the Fire - but again, in practice this is probably going to be painful.

If you want something for browsing the web and watching films, then the £180 Fire HD 10 sounds good to me - my Mum has a Fire tablet.
If you want to play games as well, then you will find the iPad far superior. But of course, you are paying considerably more money.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Personally I would look at Samsung tablets before Amazon Fires

Latest which report - Tab S4 is about £475

Stunning in practically every area, this is the best tablet we’ve tested so far in 2018. You pay a high price for such a great tablet, but if only the best is good enough, the Galaxy Tab S4 is a fantastic choice.

What is it?

A 10.5-inch tablet built for getting work done, with a dedicated connector for attaching to a keyboard case, which can be bought separately. At the time of writing, this costs £120 extra. There are two distinct versions of this tablet, one that comes with wi-fi and another that comes with both wi-fi and a slot for a Sim card, allowing you to connect the device to a 4G mobile network.

It has 64GB of built-in storage and you can expand this even further with a micro-SD card. In addition to the connectivity options, you can pick up this device in both black and grey colour options. Other accessories are available to buy separately, including a charging stand that lets you use your tablet as a digital photo frame or reminder board.

What's it like to use?

A pleasure. This tablet is powered by a high-end Qualcomm Snapdragon processor with a total of eight cores. This means it's ready to pick up any task you throw at it, be it playing games, opening web pages or streaming video, and everything done on this tablet feels smooth and responsive.

At 10.5 inches diagonally, this tablet is comfortable to hold in one hand for short periods, but it's the sort of device that you'd prefer to sit down with while using; it won't work quite so well if you're using it for catching up on BBC iPlayer while being forced to stand on a busy bus or train.

The supplied S-Pen stylus is excellent, allowing for accurate drawing and note-taking without any fuss. There's no way of storing the S-Pen on or inside the tablet, though, so you might find yourself losing it if you don't store it safely in a bag or pouch.

Even the front and rear cameras are good - you'll take clear photos with the rear-facing snapper and clear video chats with the front one.

The software is great, too - you can easily have two apps open side by side and you can even 'pop out' apps so you can move them around the screen, almost like Windows. And if you connect the keyboard, the tablet will go into a laptop-like DeX mode, which is eerily similar to using a Chromebook laptop. It can be buggy, in our experience, but if you need to take notes with the keyboard and want to move text and images around, it's a real boon.

What are the screen and speakers like?

The speakers are astonishingly good for such a thin and light tablet. In fact, our audio experts were surprised to find themselves complaining about there being too much bass, possibly a first in the history of our tablets test. Overall, though, they were impressed with the loudness and clarity of sound, aside from the occasional overpowering bass note. Dialogue is clear, too. If you're enjoying movies in the privacy of your own home, you won't need to use headphones or external speakers if you don't want to.

The screen is brilliant, too, putting in a great performance with bright and punchy colours and sharp images. We found the screen a little overpowering when using the tablet as an ebook reader, but this is counterbalanced by how well it performs outside; we had no problems reading an ebook in bright sunlight.

How long does the battery last?

In our tests, the tablet lasted an amazing 16 hours when playing video stored on the device, which is more than enough for even a very long flight. Performance dropped significantly in more strenuous tasks; it lasted just under nine hours when browsing the web while connected to wi-fi. This is still an excellent result. And if you need to quickly top up the battery, we found you could give yourself three hours of extra usage from a 30-minute charge.

Should I buy it?

If money is no object, this is the Android tablet to buy, especially if you want something you can do some work on. If not, perhaps consider saving a few hundred quid and buy the more wallet-friendly Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5. Don't count out the iPad Pro 10.5 inch, either, which just outscores the Galaxy Tab S4 albeit at a higher price.

Last edited:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
TBH If i was a kid and I had an I-pad and then i was given another tablet that wasnt, I would still use the I-pad.

In answer to your question, no it wont be easily transferable. think of it as two games consels you can play the same games but you need a different disk for each.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Doves, Mitsubishis.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Genuinely had no idea that any other company still made tablets.

Any child being bought a non-iPad should be calling Childline (on their iPhone).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I just wanted to check that most (if not all) the games and apps he's downloaded onto his old iPad can be transferred to an Amazon Fire Tablet. Including all the 'worlds' he's built in Minecraft etc?!

Some will and some won't - it will vary.

Stuff that you log into, are likely to store data and progress etc remotely - although this might not always be the case.

You'll need to check on an app by app basis and make a call.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
TBH If i was a kid and I had an I-pad and then i was given another tablet that wasnt, I would still use the I-pad.
If his current iPad is working great, then there's no need to get him another. If dad thinks he might like another with a bigger screen for watching movies, playing games etc, then it's no problem getting an android - something like a Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus, which is really good for watching videos, if you like to sit it on a desk - or the Lenovo Yoga Tab 4 plus, which is just a good 10" tablet, and affordable (can be less than £200).

When he wants to take something small and light out with him, he can still use the iPad mini. If he wants to play an old game, or on his old Minecraft world, he can use the iPad mini. If he wants a new game or to watch movies or video things, he can use the new tablet, which will have more space (as well as being able to add a micro-sd card).

Genuinely had no idea that any other company still made tablets.
I know you're joking, but it can be misleading for the OP who's trying to get advice.

Android devices still outsell IOS by about 6 to 1. So yeah, other companies still make tablets :)

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Personally I would look at Samsung tablets before Amazon Fires

Latest which report - Tab S4 is about £475

This...

There are FAR better android tabs available than Amazon's offerings, pretty much all of which will come in well under the iPad price tag.

However, as other's have said... there is virtually nothing that will readily transfer from an iPad (either data or software). Data can be moved via a PC or cloud service but software for the iPad won't work on Android, you will need to buy the Android version.

If you bite the bullet and move to Android though... you will be able to move both software and data from one Android device to another Android device very easily so you break the dependence on a single manufacturer.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Definitely get him a bigger new iPad like you first suggested
He'll hate you if you move him to something lesser in his and his mates eyes (and mine :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This :thumbsup:
Samsung tablets are great and easy to use.
Reasonable prices too.

except about 3 times the price of the Fire and same question about migrating apps and data remains.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Definitely get him a bigger new iPad like you first suggested
He'll hate you if you move him to something lesser in his and his mates eyes (and mine :)

This is it in a nutshell, keeping up with the latest trends to be cool with your mates.
Can the parents afford to buy this stuff?
Some can, some cannot.
I was lucky getting an orange in my stocking at Christmas, knowing my posh mates at school were getting jewel encrusted pineapples in theirs :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here