Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Monogamy vs Polyamory?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Ok, so this is indeed a plea to get you to read a recent blog of mine to get hit rates up but I am interested to know thoughts on monogamy and the recent resurgence towards polyamory in some parts of the world, I am sure many of you saw the recent Louie Theroux documentary on this very issue.

Interesting that many students (16-21) are open minded about sexuality, cohabitation, casual sex etc but are still often traditional in their views that relationships should be monogamous BUT also do not necessarily think humans are suited to monogamy and that we have to self-regulate in order to achieve it.

If you can spare 5 mins to read my blog I would appreciate it but also genuinely interested to know the NSC consensus on the issue: https://freedomtoteach.collins.co.u...j2JUY99YmSH6w_1Rkm-Bvhn3vHb5ZELjEIh-ocnWiu844

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
actually, wtf do I know? Post deleted :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ok, so this is indeed a plea to get you to read a recent blog of mine to get hit rates up but I am interested to know thoughts on monogamy and the recent resurgence towards polyamory in some parts of the world, I am sure many of you saw the recent Louie Theroux documentary on this very issue.

Interesting that many students (16-21) are open minded about sexuality, cohabitation, casual sex etc but are still often traditional in their views that relationships should be monogamous BUT also do not necessarily think humans are suited to monogamy and that we have to self-regulate in order to achieve it.

If you can spare 5 mins to read my blog I would appreciate it but also genuinely interested to know the NSC consensus on the issue: https://freedomtoteach.collins.co.u...j2JUY99YmSH6w_1Rkm-Bvhn3vHb5ZELjEIh-ocnWiu844

Good blog though :thumbsup:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
People like to have their cake and eat it. Until the fall for someone with similar views. Mostly.

Sounds about right. Not sure I would have the energy to have more than one partner especially under the same roof. Sounds a RIGHT effort.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I am interested to know thoughts on monogamy and the recent resurgence towards polyamory in some parts of the world

I never really liked any of the Wombles but if pushed I'd probably say Uncle Bulgaria.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sounds about right. Not sure I would have the energy to have more than one partner especially under the same roof. Sounds a RIGHT effort.

There are of course people who can make all sorts of arrangements work. Humans seem to start from a monogamous base and then, depending on the extent to which they are dogs with two cocks (or the female equivalent) and able to juggle truth and lies, venture forth on the sly to greater or lesser extent. Doing the Full Mormon is a bit niche. But so is dressing up like a teddy bear, and other more startling interests that I won't list here.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I never really liked any of the Wombles but if pushed I'd probably say Uncle Bulgaria.

Ah, you must be one of those who like to dress up....(see my post above). Big hug for 'coming out' :thumbsup::rolleyes:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How did Louie Theroux's documentary compare and contrast with Louis Theroux's effort?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
There are of course people who can make all sorts of arrangements work. Humans seem to start from a monogamous base and then, depending on the extent to which they are dogs with two cocks (or the female equivalent) and able to juggle truth and lies, venture forth on the sly to greater or lesser extent. Doing the Full Mormon is a bit niche. But so is dressing up like a teddy bear, and other more startling interests that I won't list here.

But polyamory is not about juggling lies or being sly. It is ethical non-monogamy (as much as I hate that term)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But polyamory is not about juggling lies or being sly. It is ethical non-monogamy (as much as I hate that term)

That's one of the very rare eyes-wide-open variations that are more than two standard deviations from the mean to which I may or may not have alluded.
Also I woudn't believe a word anyone under 25 says about ....well....pretty much anything.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
On the point about students being pro monogamy my guess would be that monogamy is such a culturally ingrained norm that even when you can understand that it’s a social construct on an intellectual level it still feels like the right and natural way for things to be.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
On the point about students being pro monogamy my guess would be that monogamy is such a culturally ingrained norm that even when you can understand that it’s a social construct on an intellectual level it still feels like the right and natural way for things to be.

Yeah, that is what I think too. It is so ingrained that it becomes the norm.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
There's a massive difference between polyamory and monogamy clearly. But there are also lots of things in between that work for many different people. There's also a massive difference between polyamory and those things in between. Because loving more than one person at the same time is something at the extreme of the spectrum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here