Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Free bus travel for under 16's

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shirley the idea of a free bus pass is the wrong way round?

It the bus pass was given to all children, ideally all year round but definitely during term time, it would be cheaper, have a greater impact on the environment, and make the roads better for everyone.

Sure the obvious drawback would be more senile old codgers thinking they might as well drive, but the rest of us have to deal with them anyway.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Shirley the idea of a free bus pass is the wrong way round?

It the bus pass was given to all children, ideally all year round but definitely during term time, it would be cheaper, have a greater impact on the environment, and make the roads better for everyone.

Sure the obvious drawback would be more senile old codgers thinking they might as well drive, but the rest of us have to deal with them anyway.

Random post. Last thing you should be wanting is for kids to get the bus when they could - and should - be using their legs or even a bike. Just put in place a localised congestion charge for mums on the school run and the problem would go away pronto tonto.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The main advantage of your idea would be one of habit forming, (they might carry on doing this throughout life if they're used to it)

The main problem is that as children can't vote, there's little to gain from politicians bribing them with free stuff ... other than possibly it's for the greater good, which seems to me to be way down their list of priorities

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Random post. Last thing you should be wanting is for kids to get the bus when they could - and should - be using their legs or even a bike. Just put in place a localised congestion charge for mums on the school run and the problem would go away pronto tonto.

Dads do the school run as well mate

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would add a proviso to it, being if accompanied by a fare paying adult to thus stop the buses being cluttered with children going 1 stop down the road because thjey are too lazy to walk. This is taking into account that the OAP pass isnt valid until after 9.30 in most places but 9.00 in some but still too late for them to get to school.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Of course, every senile old codger owns a car, don't they?
My mother and mother in law have never learned to drive.

From the government's own website.
All children between 5 and 16 qualify for free school transport if they go to their nearest suitable school and live at least: 2 miles from the school if they're under 8. 3 miles from the school if they're 8 or older.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that it would be good for mums and dads if they could take a bus into towns like Brighton with their children thus easing the parking problems, Not so sure about pre school when people are going to work and the buses would be well used.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A better idea would be to give them a free walking pass, and hand out one hour detention to all students who are given a lift in a vehicle, and 30 minutes for any arriving by bus.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think that it would be good for mums and dads if they could take a bus into towns like Brighton with their children thus easing the parking problems, Not so sure about pre school when people are going to work and the buses would be well used.

I think you need to replace could with would given they can already take the bus

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think you need to replace could with would given they can already take the bus

They could now except that the cost is prohibitive for man wife and 3 children . From HH to Brighton for that party would be approx £24 that is without stopping for a drink before you start shopping, which most families cannot afford.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Just mulling it over, I wasn't necessarily thinking specifically of the school run, more so that the bus pass system was somewhat expensive and open ended in our aging population.

A quick switcheroo and instantly the system is contained, manageable and kicks off the habit of using public transport.

Distance, accompanied, time of travel etc can all be age appropriate.

All stick and no carrot is never going to work, on anything, let alone transport.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Just mulling it over, I wasn't necessarily thinking specifically of the school run, more so that the bus pass system was somewhat expensive and open ended in our aging population.

A quick switcheroo and instantly the system is contained, manageable and kicks off the habit of using public transport.

Distance, accompanied, time of travel etc can all be age appropriate.

All stick and no carrot is never going to work, on anything, let alone transport.

The bus pass system is only payable when used. I have a bus pass which I might use a couple of times a week. It costs the council 90p when I use it. Rich old people use their cars so wouldn't apply for a bus pass. You wouldn't see Lord Sugar using a bus, would you?
It isn't something that is constant and costs the government millions.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Seem to remember Holland did (and probably still do) give free travel on public transport for anyone in full-time education. Seemed a very sensible idea to me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I haven't really thought about it so the idea may be flawed on people thinking about it but how about extending the existing bus pass to include trains under the same time scales and to a maximum distance of say 10 or 15 miles.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
They could now except that the cost is prohibitive for man wife and 3 children . From HH to Brighton for that party would be approx £24 that is without stopping for a drink before you start shopping, which most families cannot afford.

From Metrobus web site:

Family Day Metrovoyager

£12.50 – up to 5 people (with a minimum of 1 adult and a maximum of 2 adults) can travel together on the one ticket. The Family Metrovoyager is available from the bus driver or on the app as an m-ticket. It is valid on all Metrobus services and all Brighton & Hove Bus Company services.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
From Metrobus web site:

Family Day Metrovoyager

£12.50 – up to 5 people (with a minimum of 1 adult and a maximum of 2 adults) can travel together on the one ticket. The Family Metrovoyager is available from the bus driver or on the app as an m-ticket. It is valid on all Metrobus services and all Brighton & Hove Bus Company services.
I
I didnt know that was available as I has no need to use it but it is still expensive in comparison to parking charges for a family. to park in Churchill Sq for shopping in Brighton I personally object to Parking charges and feel that she fee should be repaid at the shops cash points and anything that can be done to stop the profiteering from car parking firms is desirable.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I
I didnt know that was available as I has no need to use it but it is still expensive in comparison to parking charges for a family. to park in Churchill Sq for shopping in Brighton I personally object to Parking charges and feel that she fee should be repaid at the shops cash points and anything that can be done to stop the profiteering from car parking firms is desirable.

It may be the same elsewhere but in Brighton car parking charges collected by the Council pays for your free bus pass use.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It may be the same elsewhere but in Brighton car parking charges collected by the Council pays for your free bus pass use.

I do not get a bus pass from Brighton and based the bus fares on what we pay per child if we take a grandchild on the bus to Brighton to go shopping.with wife and I using our bus passes. n I am 100% anti Car Parking Charges and will do all I can to avoid them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here