Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Parakeets in the Park

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Not Preston Park sadly.

I was in London yesterday and walking back to Victoria I stopped by St James's Park.
Some old blokes were feeding monkey nuts to the squirrels. I heard the familiar squeak of Parakeets.
About 6 were in the trees and 2 or 3 swooped down to take some nuts. One sat on the railings to eat, but a big fat pigeon flew down and started pushing the parakeet about. I thought 'Ooooh nooooo, poor little thing' just as it viciously sank its parrot beak into the pigeon's throat .... no wonder they've survived here!

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I'd like them to come to Sussex but I don't know what kind of threat that would pose to indigenous bird species.

I'm also waiting for the time when red kites properly colonise my neck of the woods. Fantastic birds.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Literally thousands of them in SW London........and they are spreading a bit, I saw on near Canary Wharf last week. My relatives in Hinchley Wood get them on their garden bird feeders all the time.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'd like them to come to Sussex but I don't know what kind of threat that would pose to indigenous bird species.

If they can sink their parrot beaks into seagulls' throats they'd be very welcome in Gloucester! (I like seagulls at the seaside but inland they're just sky rats).

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I'm also waiting for the time when red kites properly colonise my neck of the woods. Fantastic birds.

They idea may sound quite exotic to have them tweeting and flying about Sussex.
But you don't really want them IMO
There's loads round here squawking, sh!tting, eating the food of our natural birds and generally decimating the greens on our allotment (unless you have netting up).
You're welcome to have the wilder beast that roam across Middlesex :)

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

Loads of Red Kites up here. Spectacular to watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm pretty sure there used to be some parakeets in the woods off Ditchling Road when I was young ..... think the storm of1987 saw them leave.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If they can sink their parrot beaks into seagulls' throats they'd be very welcome in Gloucester! (I like seagulls at the seaside but inland they're just sky rats).

We invaded their territory. Btw there is no such thing as a seagull. Herring gulls, black headed gulls, less black backed gull, greater black backed gull etc etc.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We invaded their territory. Btw there is no such thing as a seagull. Herring gulls, black headed gulls, less black backed gull, greater black backed gull etc etc.

No such thing as specifically a seagull it is true, but a widely used and commonly accepted collective noun for a group of birds including herring gulls, common gulls, black headed gulls, etc. The common factor is 'sea', as they are all birds whose natural habitat is the seaside. We may be invading their territory by building towns like Brighton on the coast, and going paddling in the sea and climbing cliffs - but inland they are invading my territory, thank you very much, and they are a f**ing nuisance!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
They idea may sound quite exotic to have them tweeting and flying about Sussex.
But you don't really want them IMO
There's loads round here squawking, sh!tting, eating the food of our natural birds and generally decimating the greens on our allotment (unless you have netting up).
You're welcome to have the wilder beast that roam across Middlesex :)

For the last four or five years we’ve given up any hope of getting anything from our plum and cherry trees. Damn things arrive as a flock of about a hundred birds and just strip them bare.

Go South please - we don’t want them :rant:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here