Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Wazza Fest - England v USMNT

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Anyone else going on Thursday night?? Should be a fitting tribute to Englands greatest ever goalscorer and an opportunity for us fans to show our appreciation for all those memorable goals he scored in an England shirt.

Still a limited number of tickets available for the game I hear so get them fast if you want to see a little bit of history and give Wazza the send off he deserves.

:ascarf:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Anyone else going on Thursday night?? Should be a fitting tribute to Englands greatest ever goalscorer and an opportunity for us fans to show our appreciation for all those memorable goals he scored in an England shirt.

Highest ever goalscorer? Yes.

Greatest ever goalscorer? No. Bobby Charlton, Lineker, Greaves are all well ahead of him in that regard.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Greatest ever goalscorer? No. Bobby Charlton, Lineker, Greaves are all well ahead of him in that regard.

I read an article a while back where they took Englands top goal scorers and weighted each goal in terms of the opposition and competition (so scoring a WC goal got more "points" than a friendly. Similarly a goal against a top side like Germany or Brazil got more points than a goal against a minnow like San Marino or Scotland). I think Lineker came out on top, Wazza was somewhere around 8th/9th.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Still a limited number of tickets available for the game I hear so get them fast if you want to see a little bit of history and give Wazza the send off he deserves.

:ascarf:

Agreed. What greater way to give Wazza the collective thank you I know all England fans feel he deserves.

I think I speak for everyone when I say I'd rather Gareth had taken Wayne instead of Bench warmer Welbeck to the world cup.

A few hopes for the game

2 minute applause before the game to acknowledge his 120 caps
Bring on Wayne in the 10th minute and let him wear the 10
A round of applause in the 53rd min to recognise his goal tally
And finally, the ref to give a penalty to England in the last few minutes to let Wayne have the send off he deserves.

Ideal.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Yes I'm going. Looking forward to it. Hoping and quite expecting to see Dunk get some game time as well.

I have two spare tickets if anyone is interested in coming along. £25 each, £50 for the pair. Private message me.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

What are you counting as greatest if number of goals isn't the barometer? Ratio of goals per game?

Peter Crouch is better than all those LOSERS.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
My lads going with the school and they're expected back in at 8.30 a.m. next morning, should be an interesting hour before the train for this coming Friday morning!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I reckon Wazza is going to play his way into contention for the next Euros. He's still got 2 more tournaments left in him

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Agreed. What greater way to give Wazza the collective thank you I know all England fans feel he deserves.

I think I speak for everyone when I say I'd rather Gareth had taken Wayne instead of Bench warmer Welbeck to the world cup.

A few hopes for the game

2 minute applause before the game to acknowledge his 120 caps
Bring on Wayne in the 10th minute and let him wear the 10
A round of applause in the 53rd min to recognise his goal tally
And finally, the ref to give a penalty to England in the last few minutes to let Wayne have the send off he deserves.

Ideal.

I couldn't agree more with you and Crodo.

This dream of a soccer evening could only be further magnified in its already-heightened significance with a few personal additions:

Extra-time should be automatically played, regardless of the score at 90 minutes, to make up the magic 120.
Penalties should then take place, regardless of the score at 120 minutes, in homage to Rooney's prowess from 12 yards.
An extra penalty spot should be marked next to the original one for additional artistic effect of the 12 plus 0.
Mancunian United-supporting and flame-haired ladies favourite Mick Hucknall presents 'Simply Red' Wayne with the charity cheque from the FA.
Mick then ends the festivities by leading the crowd in a singalong of 'Rooney's Too Tight To Mention', a reworking of his unforgettable 80s classic.

It would be a fitting finale and would 'cap' off a glittering career by sending the loyal support dancing off into the starry Wembley night.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I couldn't agree more with you and Crodo.

This dream of a soccer evening could only be further magnified in its already-heightened significance with a few personal additions:

Extra-time should be automatically played, regardless of the score at 90 minutes, to make up the magic 120.
Penalties should then take place, regardless of the score at 120 minutes, in homage to Rooney's prowess from 12 yards.
An extra penalty spot should be marked next to the original one for additional artistic effect of the 12 plus 0.
Mancunian United-supporting and flame-haired ladies favourite Mick Hucknall presents 'Simply Red' Wayne with the charity cheque from the FA.
Mick then ends the festivities by leading the crowd in a singalong of 'Rooney's Too Tight To Mention', a reworking of his unforgettable 80s classic.

It would be a fitting finale and would 'cap' off a glittering career by sending the loyal support dancing off into the starry Wembley night.

There should also be guard of honour for our hero featuring all of his ex teammates and managers. Topped off by a presentation of a jereboam of whiskey by that famous England supporter and great mate of Wazza's, Sir Al Ferguson.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
There should also be guard of honour for our hero featuring all of his ex teammates and managers. Topped off by a presentation of a jereboam of whiskey by that famous England supporter and great mate of Wazza's, Sir Al Ferguson.

They couldn’t have scripted it better either, a fixture against USMNT, so the two countries he had graced domestically going head to head for International supremacy.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I read an article a while back where they took Englands top goal scorers and weighted each goal in terms of the opposition and competition (so scoring a WC goal got more "points" than a friendly. Similarly a goal against a top side like Germany or Brazil got more points than a goal against a minnow like San Marino or Scotland). I think Lineker came out on top, Wazza was somewhere around 8th/9th.

Well I did some numberizing tonight:
The average FIFA ranking of opponents Rooney has scored against is 62. The average for Lineker is 42 so it looks like Lineker scored against a higher class of opposition. (Although I used current rankings so it might be a bit out).

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Well I did some numberizing tonight:
The average FIFA ranking of opponents Rooney has scored against is 62. The average for Lineker is 42 so it looks like Lineker scored against a higher class of opposition. (Although I used current rankings so it might be a bit out).

Wazza is more of an all rounder though, he has far more assists for England and contributes so much more to general play which is why he is such a hero to England fans and he got such a great turnout and reception last night.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So come on, who DIDN'T have a tear in their eye or a lump in their throat when Wayne and his sons walked the guard of honour to pick up that glittering trophy ? I doubt there was a dry eye in the house. With the lovely Colleen looking on proudly through her Apple X, in amongst the massed throngs of England fans packed into Wembley, it was surely one of the most touching and memorable occasions the grand old stadium has ever witnessed. What a privilege it must have been to be there.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
So come on, who DIDN'T have a tear in their eye or a lump in their throat when Wayne and his sons walked the guard of honour to pick up that glittering trophy ? I doubt there was a dry eye in the house. With the lovely Colleen looking on proudly through her Apple X, in amongst the massed throngs of England fans packed into Wembley, it was surely one of the most touching and memorable occasions the grand old stadium has ever witnessed. What a privilege it must have been to be there.

Except that the "England Band" made the whole occasion shit

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here