Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Attacking intent

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Am I the only one that thinks we have less willingness to attack than last season. Points that I have noticed in the past weeks.

1. Wingers no longer take on full backs playing the ball sideways and backwards. At home they should be attacking sides not being told to defend deeper than the full backs half the time. If we are on the front foot there would not be the need to defend so much at home.
2. Midfielders don’t get anywhere near the opposition box or even look to shoot at goal.
3. Full backs no longer overlap and get in crosses. Understand that with Bruno given his age but generally you would think full backs should be able to get forward more often especially at home.

We have little chance of scoring goals if none of the above happen. Whilst it is hard to argue sometimes with these tactics when we pick up 1-0 wins it has been awful to watch and playing the same at home as we do away is really baffelling.
When Boussimsa played his first few games he looked like a player that may be able to score from midfield. From his last few appearances starting or from the bench it looks like it has been coached out of him already. Andone looks a fantastic prospect and a willingness to run at goal. How long before that is coached out of him as well.
If you look at the under 23 side they pass the ball quickly and score goals, so we clearly are not playing the same tactics as the first team sideways and backwards.
I realise that I am opening myself to be shot at but last year we seem to have played more attacking football with a supposedly weaker squad. What has happened that our tactics seem to have us playing in fear of the opposition and that includes home games.
I still think Hughton is the best option for us and you can’t knock his record but this year the football is terrible against last year. We have been fortunate to get 3 1-0 wins on the bounce and undeserved in two of them. We deserved more from the Cardiff game but they are poor and 3 points dropped.
I would just like to know if other NSC fans think that our standard of football has dropped from last season and why or am I being too critical.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think you probably are, nobody else seems to having mentioned our defensive style of play, over the last 24 hours.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Am I the only one that thinks we have less willingness to attack than last season. Points that I have noticed in the past weeks.

1. Wingers no longer take on full backs playing the ball sideways and backwards. At home they should be attacking sides not being told to defend deeper than the full backs half the time. If we are on the front foot there would not be the need to defend so much at home.
2. Midfielders don’t get anywhere near the opposition box or even look to shoot at goal.
3. Full backs no longer overlap and get in crosses. Understand that with Bruno given his age but generally you would think full backs should be able to get forward more often especially at home.

We have little chance of scoring goals if none of the above happen. Whilst it is hard to argue sometimes with these tactics when we pick up 1-0 wins it has been awful to watch and playing the same at home as we do away is really baffelling.
When Boussimsa played his first few games he looked like a player that may be able to score from midfield. From his last few appearances starting or from the bench it looks like it has been couched out of him already. Andone looks a fantastic prospect and a willingness to run at goal. How long before that is coached out of him as well.
If you look at the under 23 side they pass the ball quickly and score goals, so we clearly are not playing the same tactics as the first team sideways and backwards.
I realise that I am opening myself to be shot at but last year we seem to have played more attacking football with a supposedly weaker squad. What has happened that our tactics seem to have us playing in fear of the opposition and that includes home games.
I still think Hughton is the best option for us and you can’t knock his record but this year the football is terrible against last year. We have been fortunate to get 3 1-0 wins on the bounce and undeserved in two of them. We deserved more from the Cardiff game but they are poor and 3 points dropped.
I would just like to know if other NSC fans think that our standard of football has dropped from last season and why or am I being too critical.
Yep certainly is as clearly our attackers don't actually do much attacking !!
We have championship wingers and midfield to be honest bar gross and Izzy...our back up is even worse and this season we're getting more injuries as expected after last season we were relatively unscathed.
So glad we fluked a few wins this season :)

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
In this type of situation I usually wear pull ups, thus avoiding acute embarassement . . . .
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Yes - we do seem to attack less, as the stats show we have had the least shots in the Prem this season. Get used to it. As I've said before we are in the business of survival and if CH thinks that our current style will achieve that then who are we to argue? We are not in the Entertainment business anymore - it is more vital to survive for financial reasons than open up and be entertaining (see Fulham for what can happen with that approach).

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Yes - we do seem to attack less, as the stats show we have had the least shots in the Prem this season. Get used to it. As I've said before we are in the business of survival and if CH thinks that our current style will achieve that then who are we to argue? We are not in the Entertainment business anymore - it is more vital to survive for financial reasons than open up and be entertaining (see Fulham for what can happen with that approach).

I take your point but surely at home against the weaker teams we should be able to attack these sides. We did this last year and scored goals. What has changed. Stats say that at home we have less of the ball in these games. That was not always the case last season. It appears that Chris does not trust his players to be better than the opposition

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I just wonder how everyone would be feeling if:

Gross scores at Liverpool in 88th minute from a Montoya cross
Gross scores the penalty at home to Fulham and we don't have to come from two down
Stephens not sent off at Cardiff and we win

Just with these changes in events we would now be 20 points and pushing for a Europa league place, As always its fine margins, but we are not too far away from being a solid PL team.

Would there then be the unwarranted negativity or would be moaners still be saying we should be looking for a top 4 spot, and attack more,

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I take your point but surely at home against the weaker teams we should be able to attack these sides. We did this last year and scored goals. What has changed. Stats say that at home we have less of the ball in these games. That was not always the case last season. It appears that Chris does not trust his players to be better than the opposition

Our home opponents so far have been teams who invested very heavily in ball playing midfielders:
ManU
Spurs
Fulham (no one was laughing at Fulham at that stage)
Wolves
West Ham

This time last season:
ManC
WBA
Newcastle
Everton
Southampton

CH is being pragmatic this term on a match by match basis.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Gross scores the penalty at home to Fulham and we don't have to come from two down

Just with these changes in events we would now be 20 points and pushing for a Europa league place, As always its fine margins, but we are not too far away from being a solid PL team.

Would there then be the unwarranted negativity or would be moaners still be saying we should be looking for a top 4 spot, and attack more,

If my aunt had balls...

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

.....or one or two of Newcastle and Wolves 50-odd shots had been better......

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I just don’t know why we don’t press the opposition higher up. In the second half against Southampton we did and they weren’t good to enough to cope. Why we didn’t presss Cardiff higher up. They are never good enough to play through the press, fair enough not doing it at Liverpool or Chelsea but against Cardiff it’s baffling.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It’s boring though ain’t it ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I just don’t know why we don’t press the opposition higher up. In the second half against Southampton we did and they weren’t good to enough to cope. Why we didn’t presss Cardiff higher up. They are never good enough to play through the press, fair enough not doing it at Liverpool or Chelsea but against Cardiff it’s baffling.

This. They were shit, we could have shredded them. Very frustrating.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

This. They were shit, we could have shredded them. Very frustrating.

I think that the deciding issue was the Stephens Red Card without that I think that we would have done so.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here