Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is this season a bit more exciting?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Fully expecting to be shouted down with this considering the tide of threads currently doing the rounds after yesterday, but here we go.

Does anyone else feel that this season is a little bit more exciting than last? Yes, I know the style of football hasn't been particularly exhilarating and our home performances have been more defensive than last year. But in terms of goals and results, this season for me is far less predictable than last. Last year, if you take the novelty of being in the Premier League for the first time out of it, you could almost predict that we wouldn't score away from home and if we scored in any game, it'd be Murray or Gross.

I only make it to a couple of games per season and not any away games, but surely as an away fan it must be a bit more exciting going to Cardiff and Everton and at least having a goal to celebrate? And knowing that even if we're playing poorly, a set piece and a Duffy/Dunk header could change all that? So far we've come from 2-0 down twice to gain a point (Saints, Fulham), almost did it against Spurs, levelled last week against Everton, beaten Man Utd and even the Wolves game (only game I've attended) was quite entertaining with our alamo-esque defending.

For what it's worth, I think anyone believing we could be playing more exciting/attacking/positive football and be picking up better results than we currently are should look at Fulham. Look at their players: Mitrovic, Schurrle, Cairney, Sessegnon. I'd take any of those in our squad, yet they are not organised in the slightest and are getting tonked every week. Is that exciting? This is the curse of the Premier League in my opinion. It takes a good few years to get to the level Bournemouth are playing at; do it too quickly and your players get poached/bugger off to China and you become a Southampton or Burnley.

So yes, I'm in the positive camp. In Hughton we trust and let's not get too big for our boots. :albion2:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We must now be close to:-

'Describe your Albion mojo through music' thread

:facepalm: :yawn:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Fully expecting to be shouted down with this considering the tide of threads currently doing the rounds after yesterday, but here we go.

Does anyone else feel that this season is a little bit more exciting than last? Yes, I know the style of football hasn't been particularly exhilarating and our home performances have been more defensive than last year. But in terms of goals and results, this season for me is far less predictable than last. Last year, if you take the novelty of being in the Premier League for the first time out of it, you could almost predict that we wouldn't score away from home and if we scored in any game, it'd be Murray or Gross.

I only make it to a couple of games per season and not any away games, but surely as an away fan it must be a bit more exciting going to Cardiff and Everton and at least having a goal to celebrate? And knowing that even if we're playing poorly, a set piece and a Duffy/Dunk header could change all that? So far we've come from 2-0 down twice to gain a point (Saints, Fulham), almost did it against Spurs, levelled last week against Everton, beaten Man Utd and even the Wolves game (only game I've attended) was quite entertaining with our alamo-esque defending.

For what it's worth, I think anyone believing we could be playing more exciting/attacking/positive football and be picking up better results than we currently are should look at Fulham. Look at their players: Mitrovic, Schurrle, Cairney, Sessegnon. I'd take any of those in our squad, yet they are not organised in the slightest and are getting tonked every week. Is that exciting? This is the curse of the Premier League in my opinion. It takes a good few years to get to the level Bournemouth are playing at; do it too quickly and your players get poached/bugger off to China and you become a Southampton or Burnley.

So yes, I'm in the positive camp. In Hughton we trust and let's not get too big for our boots. :albion2:

Completely take on board your comments re Fulham. They were obviously under the impression that they could continue to flourish playing the same brand of attacking football that got them promoted, only to now realise, (surely?), tha a more defensive approach is needed to try to get them to safety.

So no, generally speaking l don't think this season is any more exciting than the last. The best we can realistically aim for, with the ability and spending pwer at most of our rivals, is to reach the safety zone of 40 points for the season, and ensure Premier League survival.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Expectations were raised with the raft of new signings, none have delivered. I enjoyed last season much more than this one so far. Last year we started like rabbits in the headlights and grew, this season, post Watford, we started to look like a side that could compete and performed OK against the top six teams we played. Since the Fulham game we have been absolute shite against non top six teams. Luck has seen us gain points whilst Palace playing much better football have had no luck. I think we are in for a long hard very frustrating boring season even playing home games like the away team.

Last edited:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Err NO.

I've had more fun having root canal treatment at the dentist. But I'm an Albion fan who travelled to Gillingham for every home game for 2 years so I do have a pretty decent tolerance level for tedious football. Boring it might be but if we stay up that's all I care about.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Well I hope the team dont'd do that, because if they do . . .. the Championship beckons. :eek:.

Hughton’s tactics have sucked the flair out of the team but we certainly don’t ever looked relaxed. Relaxing a bit instead of panicking might actually help though.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Expectations were raised with the raft of new signings, none have delivered. I enjoyed last season much more than this one so far. Last year we started like rabbits in the headlights and grew, this season, post Watford, we started to look like a side that could compete and performed OK against the top six teams we played. Since the Fulham game we have been absolute shite against non top six teams. Luck has seen us gain points whilst Palace playing much better football have had no luck. I think we are in for a long hard very frustrating boring season even playing home games like the away team.

So you can see that things have been up and down and have changed, but think suddenly we’ll play the same way all season? We are missing our best passers of the ball, our best creator, and the new signings haven’t settled. Once we have our strongest midfield back together then things will likely change back to how they were BEFORE they got injured (as you mentioned, we played very well up until propper & gross got injured).

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So you can see that things have been up and down and have changed, but think suddenly we’ll play the same way all season? We are missing our best passers of the ball, our best creator, and the new signings haven’t settled. Once we have our strongest midfield back together then things will likely change back to how they were BEFORE they got injured (as you mentioned, we played very well up until propper & gross got injured).

That’s the spirit, I desperately hope that you are spot on.

Good post :thumbsup:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I would not complain about Hughton as IMO he's done a great job, but at the moment it aint pretty. The premier league is everything in terms of prestige, but as to value for money for what is supposed to be an entertainment, it sucks for almost anyone outside the top 6.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I would not complain about Hughton as IMO he's done a great job, but at the moment it aint pretty. The premier league is everything in terms of prestige, but as to value for money for what is supposed to be an entertainment, it sucks for almost anyone outside the top 6.

I think this is the crux of my point. I feel you have to sort of play like this to survive. Exciting football is for the Championship. I want us to stay up, but in terms of enjoying football, I wouldn't be too gutted if we went down.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Same thoughts here, always. Attacking and creativity wise (of PL standard), CH has so little to work with at present.

Would love the recruitment quartet to deal with this in the next 2 windows. Plus hopefully Jahanbakhsh and Andone come good over time.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

Why look at Fulham when you can look at Bournemouth,wolves and Watford etc?
It's clear the prem is far weaker than it used to be and more clubs are successful by actually looking to win rather than looking not to lose.
It's more boring this season and the predictable same players and style is why.
Maybe the new signings were poor as they're not fitting in or just maybe the attacking players are doing to much defending all the time!!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
As someone who actually wasn't too concerned about being promoted out of the championship (I enjoyed watching the exciting, challenging games that come from being in that league), I believe we have done well to survive season 1 and be mid table and looking comfortable so far in season 2.

This is not a league of exciting football, never will be. This is top table, where the money is, where the big boys sit and rake in the riches. We are there and clearly the club want to stay. Unfortunately that means safety first. It dull and ugly but it means we load up the club coffers, Uncle Tony gets some of his investment back and we get to be a big club for a while.

The gravy train will end for us soon enough... let's just bask in the glow for a while. Chris is doing EXACTLY what has been asked of him, doing it well and doing it sustainably.

The level of negativity is incredulous. What were people expecting?
We will be back in the championship far too soon but it won't be this season or as for as long as CH stays.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
It’s panning out largely as I feared it might for me. First season exciting playing all the top sides, nicking a few wins, loving life but the novelty is wearing off a bit now. Our style of football is the only way to stay up year on year for a club like ours so we should get used to it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here