Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Festival Of Remembrance

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Humbling and poignant occasion as always, perhaps even more so on the eve of the centenary of the Armistice.

A complete contrast with Trump refusing to participate in a visit to a cemetery in France today because it was raining.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I never cease to be impressed by the dignity with which these veterans carry themselves on these occasions - the Chelsea Pensioners there being a prime example.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
IMG_0004.JPG

I know it I said a comedy, but these
few lines does evoke extreme sadness

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
great tribute

(Ed Balls has put on a few pounds hasn't he)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Humbling and poignant occasion as always, perhaps even more so on the eve of the centenary of the Armistice.

A complete contrast with Trump refusing to participate in a visit to a cemetery in France today because it was raining.

For Trump it is far more important that his comb-over is never exposed to media scrutiny, those pesky Iranians and Mexicans must never know or the West will crumble.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Off to my local war memorial this morning for what will be no doubt a moving event

Never again...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

That same cemetery contains the bodies of two sons of a previous president, Theodore Roosevelt.

Off to the Naval war memorial on Southsea Common in a little while. It will also be full of motorbikes from the Royal British Legion biker section.

theboybilly

My other half and I are in Ypres this weekend and, after looking at the amount of events taken up by dignitaries decided to do something a bit different and perhaps a little more personal. We drove over to a town near Poperinghe and paid our respects at a small CWGC cemetery at Haringhe. We were there for 11 o'clock and stood in silence for 2 minutes. This was marked by a gun in the distance at the start and finish. Unexpected but adding nicely to the occasion. The cemetery itself is notable (to me) for the amount of regiments represented. On looking up the history the cemetery was founded to take the dead of a few Casualty Clearing Stations nearby. One of the dead was an ex-Boro player who had represented the club in over 100 fixtures. I'm glad we commemorated the armistice this way now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here