Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Alex Scott

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If a mod banned me for not liking them, they quite simply should not be a mod, or PAR (Post Asst Referee), which would be a fault on this whole NSC site. Guinness Boy is, to me, and I mean me, a complete and utter ahole. He has no right to comment on my posts since he took the piss out of mental health and I will forever hold him accountable for that, he never even apologised. The bloke is an arse and should not be a mod.

Other than that, I like threads like these, they're fun, they bring out the best/worse in people and it's interesting to see who is where and with what. Sadly I will forget, hence I never dislike people on here except GB and the other tosser that questions people health, HWT.

It's a fun place to come and read and post.

I’ve repeatedly asked you to quote the post where I supposedly took the piss out of your mental health. You can’t because I didn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 29, 2011
I understand what you are trying to claim: that pundits of premier league football should only be those who have direct experience playing in (or maybe managing). The problem is, that doesn't hold up to much scrutiny for several reasons.

Firstly, you don't need to be an ex-pro to be a good pundit: what matters is knowledge of the game and ability to provide good analysis. Do you genuinely listen to punditry and decide whether it's good or not based on who is saying it? Obviously not, if she is a better pundit than half of the lazy blokes who can't be bothered to do research I'd rather she was doing the punditry than them. I assume you never listen to Johnny Cantor's commentary? You'll be shocked to hear that he's not an ex-pro: presumably you don't turn off Radio Sussex in disgust when he's on.

Secondly even if you do claim that you need to be an ex-pro to be a pundit, the idea that men's and women's sport are two completely separate entities is rubbish. Do you get as annoyed if Tim Henman is commentating on the women's tennis at Wimbledon? Men's and women's football is fundamentally the same game and experience of what it takes to play at a high level is transferable from men's to women's football.

Thirdly if having direct experience is so important do you get as annoyed when Savage is commentating on the Champions League, or if Alan Shearer is a pundit for the World Cup final? It's the same: they haven't experienced it, so don't have the requisite background to be a good pundit.

Great post, all good points

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
You make the huge mistake of thinking for someone else. Usually I would stop reading right there.

I never watch women's tennis, except when I went to Wimbledon and had no choice, but no commentators or pundits. I would be irritated if I were to watch women's tennis and listening to Henman though, yes.

That's slightly extreme with a WC final, and you are trying very hard to win a nonsensical point.

Regardless of whether you listen to him or not, are you as annoyed that Johnny Cantor is on BBC Sussex commentary as he's never played the game? Same applies to many commentators and pundits who've not played the game.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
She's on Strictly this season so will not be available for weekend live games while she is still in the show anyway

Strictly is on a Saturday night so she will be able to host GoS still, which is great news.

Also looking forward to her new weekly female sports magazine show coming from next month and her punditry on midweek games.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
The problem with threads like this is that if someone started one about Jamie Redknapp or Alan Shearer everyone would very quickly come to a consensus that they spew utter cack and it would die out.

One that is started about Alex Scott, who also spews uninsightful cack, is controversial simply because she is a woman and some people can't help themselves in attributing prejudice for the same label as nearly every other pundit gets.

I've had enough of her, you could extract more insight about the game from a garden pond. This is the only requisite for her position as a pundit, competance in providing insight to viewers and she provides none

This is why Fan TVs have become popular, it's more interesting (and often funny) to listen to what fans thought about a game than people with 'experience' who are paid to analyse it.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
The problem with threads like this is that if someone started one about Jamie Redknapp or Alan Shearer everyone would very quickly come to a consensus that they spew utter cack and it would die out.

One that is started about Alex Scott, who also spews uninsightful cack, is controversial simply because she is a woman and some people can't help themselves in attributing prejudice for the same label as nearly every other pundit gets.

I've had enough of her, you could extract more insight about the game from a garden pond. This is the only requisite for her position as a pundit, competance in providing insight to viewers and she provides none

This is why Fan TVs have become popular, it's more interesting (and often funny) to listen to what fans thought about a game than people with 'experience' who are paid to analyse it.

just watched the EFL highlights of which 3 games were commentated on by women ...........i'm sorry but to me it's like gravy on beetroot , custard on sirloin , mustard on sticky date pudding , it just doesn't work......god knows they are flogging womens cricket , football and rugby atm why not let the ladies commentate on that and leave the mens game to the blokes , when the gender fluid league springs up in 3 or 4 years they can have their own commentators too .......having said that the standard of commentating has taken a nose dive over the last 2 years or so....imho....

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

But that's not what's happened here, is it? Someone hasn't criticised her punditry skills and been randomly labelled, they have actually agreed she is no worse than many of the other pundits, but specifically stated she shouldn't be there simply because of her gender. It is text book sexism. (Or fishing...)

I've had enough of her

And to be honest, that was kinda why I posted about her now being on goals on sunday. I'm aware there is a feeling among some that she is over exposed, and here she is on another programme.

When people first started posting them on here I wasn't particularly interested, but they are starting to grow on me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
just watched the EFL highlights of which 3 games were commentated on by women ...........i'm sorry but to me it's like gravy on beetroot , custard on sirloin , mustard on sticky date pudding , it just doesn't work......god knows they are flogging womens cricket , football and rugby atm why not let the ladies commentate on that and leave the mens game to the blokes , when the gender fluid league springs up in 3 or 4 years they can have their own commentators too .......having said that the standard of commentating has taken a nose dive over the last 2 years or so....imho....

Heston Blumenthal would beg to differ. He’s made a very successful career out of enlightened combinations like these.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I understand what you are trying to claim: that pundits of premier league football should only be those who have direct experience playing in (or maybe managing). The problem is, that doesn't hold up to much scrutiny for several reasons.

Firstly, you don't need to be an ex-pro to be a good pundit: what matters is knowledge of the game and ability to provide good analysis. Do you genuinely listen to punditry and decide whether it's good or not based on who is saying it? Obviously not, if she is a better pundit than half of the lazy blokes who can't be bothered to do research I'd rather she was doing the punditry than them. I assume you never listen to Johnny Cantor's commentary? You'll be shocked to hear that he's not an ex-pro: presumably you don't turn off Radio Sussex in disgust when he's on.

Secondly even if you do claim that you need to be an ex-pro to be a pundit, the idea that men's and women's sport are two completely separate entities is rubbish. Do you get as annoyed if Tim Henman is commentating on the women's tennis at Wimbledon? Men's and women's football is fundamentally the same game and experience of what it takes to play at a high level is transferable from men's to women's football.

Thirdly if having direct experience is so important do you get as annoyed when Savage is commentating on the Champions League, or if Alan Shearer is a pundit for the World Cup final? It's the same: they haven't experienced it, so don't have the requisite background to be a good pundit.

No, I think there are enough differences between men's and women's football at the top level to need at least one former player experienced at that level, or near enough, to make punditry interesting.

By all means let Alex Scott comment on tactical matters. Yes, she has 'knowledge of the game.' But not of serious men's football. I want some insight into tunnel mind games, what's really going on at set plays, gamesmanship etc from people who have marked a Lukaku or Henry or gone toe-to-toe with a Vieira or been battered by Shane Duffy. What it's like to play with or against some of football's prize shithouses. And I'd rather hear from a manager who has had to take decisions with his or her job depending on it than a player who has gone straight onto a sofa in a TV studio. Yes, some, or even most, male pundits give you none of the above and are stealing a living. Get rid of them. Actually, let's have fewer pundits and more football, especially on highlights shows.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

This should be posted everywhere in response to all the crap I've read about her getting the GOS gig. Well argued :rave:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
No, I think there are enough differences between men's and women's football at the top level to need at least one former player experienced at that level, or near enough, to make punditry interesting.

By all means let Alex Scott comment on tactical matters. Yes, she has 'knowledge of the game.' But not of serious men's football. I want some insight into tunnel mind games, what's really going on at set plays, gamesmanship etc from people who have marked a Lukaku or Henry or gone toe-to-toe with a Vieira or been battered by Shane Duffy. What it's like to play with or against some of football's prize shithouses. And I'd rather hear from a manager who has had to take decisions with his or her job depending on it than a player who has gone straight onto a sofa in a TV studio. Yes, some, or even most, male pundits give you none of the above and are stealing a living. Get rid of them. Actually, let's have fewer pundits and more football, especially on highlights shows.

Some people explain it a lot better than I do! Much better context than me trying to put it across. I am certainly not a quill master!

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016

Don't mischaracterise this as someone starting a thread about how they don't like Alex Scott and all these snowflakes started getting annoyed and assuming its because she's a woman. If the extent of the thread had been 'Alex Scott isn't a very good pundit' we wouldn't be having this discussion.

What happened, if we look past the pages of pretty objectionable commentary on her looks (again probably not getting that with Shearer), was various posters (well one in particular) suggested that she shouldn't be a pundit because she's a woman. We're not attributing prejudice, it was quite simply stated.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016

I think we're in agreement that punditry these days (albeit I think it's better now than a few years ago) is just s**t. I'm fine with saying that there should be at least one male pro on a panel if they are genuinely giving that kind of insight: but I think this is incredibly rare. Give me someone who can actually dissect a game of football like Michael Cox on a panel any day over someone with X premier league appearances. For some reason the latter has just been so ingrained in us that as soon as someone doesn't have X premier league appearances people start questioning what right they have to talk about football.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think we're in agreement that punditry these days (albeit I think it's better now than a few years ago) is just s**t. I'm fine with saying that there should be at least one male pro on a panel if they are genuinely giving that kind of insight: but I think this is incredibly rare. Give me someone who can actually dissect a game of football like Michael Cox on a panel any day over someone with X premier league appearances. For some reason the latter has just been so ingrained in us that as soon as someone doesn't have X premier league appearances people start questioning what right they have to talk about football.

We can probably agree that the ideal pundit would be someone who has played at the level of the game we're watching and can analyse and explain too - a pitifully rare combination, I'm afraid. I'd actually be quite interested to see what Gary Lineker would be like on the other side of the table. And I think a certain Chris Hughton would be good, freed from the fear of being misquoted ahead of a match. Bilic was one of my favourites.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here