Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] If you speak the truth, then what happens is good. Regardless of what happens.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
That is all.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Sounds to me like someone who won't take responsibility for the outcome of their decisions. Are you sure you are on the right thread ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sounds to me like someone who won't take responsibility for the outcome of their decisions. Are you sure you are on the right website ???

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I’ve just told my young grandchildren Father Christmas is fake. Didn’t go down too well

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
"Always tell the truth, then nothing will happen to you." A mantra my mum and dad drilled in to me from since I can remember. Translated, this meant that if I didn't lie, regardless, I wouldn't get a good hiding.
When I was about eight years' old, I had a friend who lived across the road who had a really bad stutter. My dad once said that my friend wouldn't be very good at selling hot pies, as by the time he'd shouted "H,H,H, Ho, Ho, Hot pies.", they'd all be cold!
I had a fall-out with my friend, and as he went sulking off towards his house, my parting shot was to shout at him "My dad said you wouldn't be any good at selling hot pies because by the time you've shouted "H,H,H, Ho, Ho, Hot pies.", they'd all be cold!
Within minutes, there was a knock on our door. It was my friend's parents. They wanted to speak to my dad. They asked him if it was true that he'd said that their son wouldn't be any good at selling hot pies. My dad somehow managed to lie his way out of this accusation by making up some story about someone else on the telly saying something similar. They reluctantly accepted his explanation.
My dad then closed the door and went absolutely mental on me!!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Truth is only a matter of viewpoint.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
"Always tell the truth, then nothing will happen to you." A mantra my mum and dad drilled in to me from since I can remember. Translated, this meant that if I didn't lie, regardless, I wouldn't get a good hiding.
When I was about eight years' old, I had a friend who lived across the road who had a really bad stutter. My dad once said that my friend wouldn't be very good at selling hot pies, as by the time he'd shouted "H,H,H, Ho, Ho, Hot pies.", they'd all be cold!
I had a fall-out with my friend, and as he went sulking off towards his house, my parting shot was to shout at him "My dad said you wouldn't be any good at selling hot pies because by the time you've shouted "H,H,H, Ho, Ho, Hot pies.", they'd all be cold!
Within minutes, there was a knock on our door. It was my friend's parents. They wanted to speak to my dad. They asked him if it was true that he'd said that their son wouldn't be any good at selling hot pies. My dad somehow managed to lie his way out of this accusation by making up some story about someone else on the telly saying something similar. They reluctantly accepted his explanation.
My dad then closed the door and went absolutely mental on me!!

Did you buy one of his pies though Jack ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If you have ever spent any time living on the earth and interacting with other human beings you'd soon realise that telling lies is absolutely essential from time to time. That of course includes lying by omission. The main thing that I would say 'that's all' to is this. Very few issues are black and white.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Truth is only a matter of viewpoint.

No. That's false. It is more than my viewpoint that if you jumped out of a third floor window head first onto concrete, you'll regret it. But by all means, go ahead.

There are many issues that are undecided but there are an awful lot of issues that are fact. Fact.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
If you speak the truth you never have to remember what you've said

This. I always used to tell my Salesmen to tell the truth if there was ever a problem. Don't BS - because if it's a lie you won't remember every detail, and the details will trip you up. Just tell the truth.

That's in business, though - which is different. In personal situations it's sometimes better to lie to save hurt feelings and upset.

If you spoke the absolute truth to everyone you ever met you'd end up a very lonely person...

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
This. I always used to tell my Salesmen to tell the truth if there was ever a problem. Don't BS - because if it's a lie you won't remember every detail, and the details will trip you up. Just tell the truth.

That's in business, though - which is different. In personal situations it's sometimes better to lie to save hurt feelings and upset.

If you spoke the absolute truth to everyone you ever met you'd end up a very lonely person...

fair enough. Saying nothing isn't lying

In theory, the OP is correct.

But there is one flaw in the argument. What is the truth? Sometimes it is obvious - Today is Tuesday for example (except it isn't in other places in the world) but more often than not truth is your or my perception of what it is.

In many arguments there are two versions of the truth, one for each paty. Both parties will be convinced their version of the truth is the correct one.

But to an outsider, the real truth is somewhere in the middle.

So, in truth, there are three truths.

I think I need to go and lie down in a darken room.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here