Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] PS4 Console query

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
A quick question for all you gamers. I know nothing about the PS4 consoles and gaming (as I'm in my late 40's) but would like to treat my nephew to a new PS4 for Christmas which I know he wants.

Is it worth spending the extra for the 1TB hard drive version or is the 500gb version ok. He's only 14 and I'm not sure the 1TB is necessary but I'd appreciate your more experienced views.

Cheers in advance
Andy

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Yes, go for the 1TB version as downloads and patches will soon eat up the 500Gb space!

You can get away with just 500GB but it will eventually mean deleting games to make space, they can be re-downloaded but it can be a pain.

It may be worth waiting until Black Friday as you may get some good bundle deals.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I asked the same question when I was getting my son a new Xbox the other year. The gamers I spoke to all said yes, get the 1TB one. Games are all downloaded now and some of them are MASSIVE and take up loads of space.

It was the correct decision.

Last edited:

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
A quick question for all you gamers. I know nothing about the PS4 consoles and gaming (as I'm in my late 40's) but would like to treat my nephew to a new PS4 for Christmas which I know he wants.

Is it worth spending the extra for the 1TB hard drive version or is the 500gb version ok. He's only 14 and I'm not sure the 1TB is necessary but I'd appreciate your more experienced views.

Cheers in advance
Andy

Good Uncle!
Indeed this.

When I was a youngster......
20031730_742109739293257_8135373142888377453_n.jpg

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I'm also looking at one for Xmas and was advised to get PS4 Pro - on the basis that it'd be future proof for new TVs etc. Not sure about that though.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Cheers in advance
Andy
Great choice. Ps4 games are light years ahead of the Xbox. Get the ITB.

Buy on black Friday. By the way i'm in my late 40's. Nothing wrong with that

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'm also looking at one for Xmas and was advised to get PS4 Pro - on the basis that it'd be future proof for new TVs etc. Not sure about that though.

I wouldn't bother. PS5 will be out in 2 years time. It will blow the Pro and standard version out of the window. Save money and stick to the plain one.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005

Cheers in advance
Andy

Hi Andy,

Massive gamer here. I'd definitely opt for a PS4 Pro, over the standard, the Pro I believe comes with a 1TB drive as standard.

If storage becomes an issue you can always add an external storage device via usb at a later date. 500GB fills up pretty quickly especially if he's downloading the 'free' games with playstation plus every month.

Hope that helps :smile:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Wait for Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals.

PS4 500 GB if only playing a few games
PS4 1TB if there are good deals / can spare the extra £40-50

Don't bother with the Pro, save the extra money for the next-gen console in 18-24 months.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I wouldn't bother. PS5 will be out in 2 years time. It will blow the Pro and standard version out of the window. Save money and stick to the plain one.

I was listening to a thing the other day where they said these companies already have Xbox and Playstations light years ahead and ready to go*. But they only sell them in increments to, I suppose, make their money back and keep everyone a captive consumer. I guess we understand that, but it feels a bit frustrating!

That could be along the lines of the old urban myth "BP bought up a company that worked out a way of powering cars on water, then burned the research" but who's not up for a bit of industrial-shenanigans-conspiracy-theorising?!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I was listening to a thing the other day where they said these companies already have Xbox and Playstations light years ahead and ready to go*. But they only sell them in increments to, I suppose, make their money back and keep everyone a captive consumer. I guess we understand that, but it feels a bit frustrating!

That could be along the lines of the old urban myth "BP bought up a company that worked out a way of powering cars on water, then burned the research" but who's not up for a bit of industrial-shenanigans-conspiracy-theorising?!

I don't believe that to be honest.
It's about getting the best GPU & CPU available in the machines at a consumer friendly price-point.
So they are currently negotiating with two companies to get a console equivalent of an (approx.) GTX 1080 GPU + i5 6600 CPU full build for £350*.
Not an easy job by any means.

*General approximation

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
PS4 = £250 (bundled with RDR 2), PS4 Pro = £350 - also with RDR 2. PS4 = 500gb, pro = 1tb. Price of 1tb external HD = £40. So, unless you want 4K/HDR (and have the TV to show it), buy the base model and a 1 tb hard disk - get 1.5tb and save £60.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Just make sure you get it bundled with Red Dead Redemption 2. It's SPECTACULAR.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I've got a 2tb hard drive and constantly find myself deleting games to make room for new ones.
I'd only go for the PS4 Pro if using the PSVR with it as it makes a huge difference in the headset resolution.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I don't believe that to be honest.
It's about getting the best GPU & CPU available in the machines at a consumer friendly price-point.
So they are currently negotiating with two companies to get a console equivalent of an (approx.) GTX 1080 GPU + i5 6600 CPU full build for £350*.
Not an easy job by any means.

*General approximation
That's my take on it. It's all about the getting the best hardware components at a reasonable price making the next generation console as powerful as possible. All this while keeping the costs down. Can't be easy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here