Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Two day break in Rye...any tips?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If you go down Harbour Road and follow the footpath off by the lock then there's a lovely circular walk that'll take you down by the side of the River Brede and back round past Camber Castle. Don't be fooled, it's a short walk of just 3 or 4 miles all in and goes no where near Camber.

Alternatively, go right to the end of Harbour Road and pick up the nature reserve walk down near the beach.

Best walk off all though would be from Winchelsea, down Monks Walk, alongside Wickham Rock La and follow the footpath that gives stunning views over Pett Level. Back out onto Wickham Rock Lane and across the field past Paul McCartney's Windmill recording studio on Hog Hill until you come out down by the side of Icklesham Church. Cross the main road into Parsonage Lane and have a pint and something to eat at The Queens Head. From there either go back the way you came or through the car park at the pub and down the hill onto the levels and walk back along and up to Winchelsea by the beacon.
You can walk to Winchelsea from Rye by following the River Brede walk and heading off to Winchelsea for the walk above before returning the way you came and round past Camber Castle.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Haha! What’s the local brewery, strikes me as a place for good ale?

You could sort out a walk over Udimore way and head towards the Three Legs Brewery up at Broad Oak/Brede if you were feeling really adventurous.

Walk to Winchelsea past Rye Harbour, William the conqueror decent grub very friendly.

Attachments

• IMG_20180413_175538_436.jpg
    IMG_20180413_175538_436.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 190

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As for the Royal Military Canal. Lovely place to kayak on, but that won't be on your itinerary.
So if you want a little something to watch on YouTube before turning in for the night, you can learn all about it's history from this nice little three parter. Part one below:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Thanks one and all. Some great suggestions and plenty to fill two days there.

NSC, I salute you.

stayed in Rye on numerous occasions with the good lady , NOT BAD FOR SOME ONE ON BENEFITS EH ,normally use it as a base to go elsewhere ie day trips to Deal/Sandwich , Check this place out , http://www.mermaidinn.com/
regards
DR

Stayed there for the wife's birthday before she went wing walking at Headcorn airfield.

Attachments

• IMG_20180318_102226_920.jpg
    IMG_20180318_102226_920.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 84

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Went for a visit to Rye Harbour Nature Reserve about 25 years ago and tried my hand at bird calling. I didn't get one bird to show up and scared the other birds away. So, no, I didn't get any monetary tips at all due to being bollux at bird calling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here