Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hotdogs, extra onions clippedgull's Avatar

State of play in the Premier League - to date

0 Not allowed!
    Current bottom five clubs v current top 5 - P19 W0 D0 L19 F12 A60

Amid all the gloom enveloping those at the wrong end of the Premier League table, where Fulham, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Newcastle and Southampton have conceded 108 goals between them, suffered 36 defeats and registered only one victory each, there is a ray of hope. On the basis of the results so far, only 22 points will be needed to stay up this season.

Although 11 fixtures is not much of a sample size from which to calculate a points-per-game ratio, the numbers do not lie and there is no getting away from just how poor the standard is in the lower reaches of the Premier League this season. The fact that this is the first time in 27 Premier League seasons that five clubs have seven or fewer points from their opening 11 matches says it all.

Newcastle, who won last Saturday for the first time this season, are somehow out of the relegation zone despite picking up only six points from 11 games. The survival bar could hardly be set any lower and it all feels so predictable. Cast the net a little further to include Burnley, who are lying in 15th place, and a strong case could be made to say that the bottom six now will be the bottom six come May, with only their order to be decided.

more: https://www.theguardian.com/football...e-great-divide
    Proud Member Of Team BHAFC since 1974

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      The article seems to pose a question rather than answer one. Why are the bottom clubs so bad? With record TV money coming in the league should be more competitive than it’s turning out to be.
      Mama said knock you out. LlcoolJ's Avatar

6 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Optimist View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The article seems to pose a question rather than answer one. Why are the bottom clubs so bad? With record TV money coming in the league should be more competitive than it’s turning out to be.
      Who cares as long as we're not one of the shithouse teams involved?
      "I never mentioned horses!"

0 Not allowed!
      It's a shit article though. You can't say anything about a division based on one season (or actually one almost third of a season) as this piece is doing.
      "I never mentioned horses!"
      Mon nez est on the Beach. Knocky's Nose's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      How strange. I read that article waiting for the car to be serviced in the fancy 'customer area' whilst drinking a coffee and checking out the 'dappy-dolly' receptionists.

I never read the Guardian, and after a good old thumb through - I never will.

However, I suppose it highlights the gulf between the Championship and the PL more than ever. Are finances 'polarising' : where you're a "super club" or you're not. If you're a super club you'll be fine because you can buy your way to the top, or at least out of trouble. If you're not it depends on the manager, player solidarity and team spirit, plus a bit of luck with signings and youth development. If the latter all go wrong, you're screwed.

I think that 5-6 clubs have fallen into this category, and they're the whipping boys this season.

If you look at the foreign leagues, they've always got a whipping boy or three. We've just got a few more this season. Thank fook we're not one of them....

I've always said - "I don't care where we finish, as long as three teams are below us...".... That'll do me for now.
      Ce Qui Donne?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Knocky's Nose View Post
      Thank fook we're not one of them....

I've always said - "I don't care where we finish, as long as three teams are below us...".... That'll do me for now.
      If find this sentiment odd.

I was against @Giraffe doing another '40 point survival' thread, this season.
      Much preferring something like a 50 point total, I'm also not in favour of the Wolves 'run before you can walk' policy.
      I find the public uttering from the club along the lines of '4th from bottom' somewhat disingenuous.

They certainly lead to today's situation of fans being happy with a point at Cardiff, but more annoyingly it all smacks of if you're not going forward...

What's the point of playing for next season if next season never comes
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.

Mon nez est on the Beach. Knocky's Nose's Avatar

4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      If find this sentiment odd.

....but more annoyingly it all smacks of if you're not going forward...
      We are going forward! However, in the World's richest Football League you've got to either have a Billionaire financing you - or you build foundations on staying in the PL and stacking the money up whilst you can hang on in there as there are plenty of clubs who desperately want to replace you.

You build on a budget, you stay up on a budget, you keep taking the money - then when your treasure chest is brimming you can make the big money signings. That's when you (potentially) see progress - and we start beating bigger teams and taking being in the PL for granted. We will never be a Man City, a Liverpool or a Man Utd. It's a fact which pisses me off, but it's still a fact.

For now, the Treasure Chest isn't full. So, until then - we survive. It's a long game which you have to play unless you have a nut-job owner who wants to tip his wheelbarrow of cash into the club and look for the 'quick fix' which could blow up in his/her face.

We don't have that kind of owner. He's stable, sensible and measured. We have a manager who is the same. I, personally, am happy with that...
      Ce Qui Donne?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Knocky's Nose View Post
      We are going forward! However, in the World's richest Football League you've got to either have a Billionaire financing you - or you build foundations on staying in the PL and stacking the money up whilst you can hang on in there as there are plenty of clubs who desperately want to replace you.

You build on a budget, you stay up on a budget, you keep taking the money - then when you're treasure chest is brimming you can make the big money signings. That's when you (potentially) see progress - and we start beating bigger teams and taking being in the PL for granted.

For now, the Treasure Chest isn't full. So, until then - we survive. It's a long game which you have to play unless you have a nut-job owner who wants to tip his wheelbarrow of cash into the club and look for the quick fix.

We don't have that kind of owner. He's stable, sensible and measured. We have a manager who is the same. I, personally, am happy with that...
      All of which I agree with, to a point.
      But im still left asking the same question:-

When will the warchest be full?

It'll never be top 6 full.
      It'll never be Everton/Leicester full.
      It'll never be as full as the next billionaire/conglomerate/country to arrive on the seen.

Having an eye on 4th from bottom for the second season running is still very defeatist.

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      All of which I agree with, to a point.
      But im still left asking the same question:-

When will the warchest be full?

It'll never be top 6 full.
      It'll never be Everton/Leicester full.
      It'll never be as full as the next billionaire/conglomerate/country to arrive on the seen.

Having an eye on 4th from bottom for the second season running is still very defeatist.
      Sorry, but this is complete bollocks.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by LlcoolJ View Post
      Sorry, but this is complete bollocks.
      As is having more than one fan hoping for 1 point at Cardiff tomorrow.