Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Cricket World Cup Tickets - Scam?

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Over the summer I tried to get tickets for the ICC Cricket World Cup, I had applied for the ballots but had an email saying I was unsuccessful. I then tried to get tickets when they went on general sale, but again wasn't able to get any. Well, last night I received an email from the ICC Ticketing people saying by ballot results have been successful and they will take payment within 48 hours for all the tickets I applied for, just over £1,000 worth. I have sent them a message asking if this is right but not heard back.

I now can't make it to one of the games I selected as i have booked a holiday, knowing I had been unable to get tickets. Of course I can find good homes for the tickets but it just seems like some kind of scam. Has anyone else had experiences like this or is this just how it is? What if i had managed to get tickets in the general public ticket sales, I would have double tickets. Doesn't sound right to me.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Have you checked the email address that sent you the message? I get loads that seem like they’re from a bank, but the email address is bg@gmail.com or something.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was really lucky with my tickets. I got mine through Prince Pombongo’s brothers ticketing agency in Nigeria.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Have you checked the email address that sent you the message? I get loads that seem like they’re from a bank, but the email address is bg@gmail.com or something.

Just checked and the email address is the same in both emails. Also in the 'confirmation' email it does say the exact games I applied for. Maybe it is real, but still pisses me off that I had an email saying I didn't get any tickets then 2 months later they email to say I do have tickets and it will cost £1k. From memory I had to add my payment card, so if it is real they will already have those details. But I don't have 1k.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
I applied for a lot of tickets but no new emails here. I got most of my tickets in the first ballot as I will be following NZ. Tickets are way cheaper than for the England matches.

nyseagull

Oct 10, 2003
Brighton
Have got one of these e-mails too saying that I have tickets for one of the games I missed out on. Have tried going to the official ticketing website (not via the link in the e-mail) but it seems to be down. Not sure if it is genuine or not.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Just checked and the email address is the same in both emails. Also in the 'confirmation' email it does say the exact games I applied for. Maybe it is real, but still pisses me off that I had an email saying I didn't get any tickets then 2 months later they email to say I do have tickets and it will cost £1k. From memory I had to add my payment card, so if it is real they will already have those details. But I don't have 1k.

Could Cancel your card if you don't want the tickets. May stop it in time.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Have got one of these e-mails too saying that I have tickets for one of the games I missed out on. Have tried going to the official ticketing website (not via the link in the e-mail) but it seems to be down. Not sure if it is genuine or not.

I tried going on the website earlier and it was down. Hopefully it will be up and running soon, then we can check what has happened. Just seems odd that they didn't announce a bonus load of tickets would be available, especially after the kept banging on about all tickets selling out due to high demand.

nyseagull

Oct 10, 2003
Brighton
Can't see it is genuine personally. My extra liablilty is only £120, nowhere near £1k thankfully. Would be a bonus if I get them as have booked a week off and travelling around going to as many games as possible.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
A general google search for the last 24 hours only brings up this thread which suggests maybe that 100's of people who first applied haven't had the same email so possibly not a scam.

Maybe these are returns or people who's bank have reject payment or ones which were intercepted as on the way to tout websites

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
A general google search for the last 24 hours only brings up this thread which suggests maybe that 100's of people who first applied haven't had the same email so possibly not a scam.

Maybe these are returns or people who's bank have reject payment or ones which were intercepted as on the way to tout websites

You might be right, but does seem odd that I have tickets for all 4 matches I applied for, all in the same price band that I was after. Will wait and see what happens.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
If the email is asking you to enter bank details, I'd be wary. But if they are saying they'll take money from the account details you supplied on application, it's probably legit.

It may well be that, like theatre, they have a jig around and seats become free.

nyseagull

Oct 10, 2003
Brighton
It looks like it is genuine. I have logged in the official website and it now shows that I have tickets for an extra game. Would have been nice to have been forewarned though. Thankfully I hadn't made any other arrangements.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Over the summer I tried to get tickets for the ICC Cricket World Cup, I had applied for the ballots but had an email saying I was unsuccessful. I then tried to get tickets when they went on general sale, but again wasn't able to get any. Well, last night I received an email from the ICC Ticketing people saying by ballot results have been successful and they will take payment within 48 hours for all the tickets I applied for, just over £1,000 worth. I have sent them a message asking if this is right but not heard back.

I now can't make it to one of the games I selected as i have booked a holiday, knowing I had been unable to get tickets. Of course I can find good homes for the tickets but it just seems like some kind of scam. Has anyone else had experiences like this or is this just how it is? What if i had managed to get tickets in the general public ticket sales, I would have double tickets. Doesn't sound right to me.

Cock up by ticketmaster it seems

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/25272197/ticketmaster-apologises-world-cup-mix-up

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Blimey, how much are tickets for the wc games?
I’m in the ballots for the Ashes!

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

If they are confirming your successful ticket purchases and are not asking for new payment details, I’d suggest it’s genuine you lucky bugger.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here