Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Stains sack Les Reed

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Our friends in Hampshire have sacked the organ grinder and left the monkey in place. Reed was the architect of the so-called 'Southampton Way' (so-called by them, and something they laughably attempted to monetise by offering to educate other clubs about), with the title of executive vice-chairman, really a glorified director of football.

Basically, he assumed the academy would keep producing players to replace the ones he signed on the cheap and flogged off at a huge profit, like Dejan Lovren and Virgil van Dijk. Unfortunately for him, the academy hasn't produced anyone any good for a while, and his newer signings have all been duds that nobody wanted. And his appointment of managers hasn't exactly been outstanding either ...

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Our friends in Hampshire have sacked the organ grinder and left the monkey in place. Reed was the architect of the so-called 'Southampton Way' (so-called by them, and something they laughably attempted to monetise by offering to educate other clubs about), with the title of executive vice-chairman, really a glorified director of football.

Basically, he assumed the academy would keep producing players to replace the ones he signed on the cheap and flogged off at a huge profit, like Dejan Lovren and Virgil van Dijk. Unfortunately for him, the academy hasn't produced anyone any good for a while, and his newer signings have all been duds that nobody wanted. And his appointment of managers hasn't exactly been outstanding either ...

They have the taste then, perhaps only a matter of time for Hughes. He talks well but his teams have not produced for a while.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
They have the taste then, perhaps only a matter of time for Hughes. He talks well but his teams have not produced for a while.

About a week, I presume. International break after their home game with Watford on Saturday, which is the classic time for sacking managers.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Unfortunately for him, the academy hasn't produced anyone any good for a while, and his newer signings have all been duds that nobody wanted. And his appointment of managers hasn't exactly been outstanding either ...

I was at their U23 game last Friday night, and can confidently predict that this is not going to change imminently.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Other than that I assume you think quite highly of the chap.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Saintsweb forum poll, 97% in favour of this sacking, with the other 3% 'undecided'.

Discussion turns to possible replacements, with at least one poster bemoaning 'should have gone for Dan Ashworth'.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Other than that I assume you think quite highly of the chap.

He’s actually quite a nice guy and his appointment of Koeman when Pochettino left was a success, as were his signings of Pelle, Tadic, van Dijk and a few others. But those begin to seem just a matter of luck when you look at Hoedt, Forster, Pellegrini etc. And you can’t guarantee an endless production line from an academy. West Ham and Manchester United couldn’t.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And you can’t guarantee an endless production line from an academy. West Ham and Manchester United couldn’t.

You probably can if you throw stupid amounts of money around. Chelsea seem to be doing OK with theirs - but don't they do it by signing up just about every youngster going?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He’s actually quite a nice guy and his appointment of Koeman when Pochettino left was a success, as were his signings of Pelle, Tadic, van Dijk and a few others. But those begin to seem just a matter of luck when you look at Hoedt, Forster, Pellegrini etc. And you can’t guarantee an endless production line from an academy. West Ham and Manchester United couldn’t.

Was it Southampton who signed a player for ridiculous money the other summer (possibly the record transfer fee) and then he went on loan somewhere almost immediately following a fallout and then got shifted permanently somewhere without playing a game for Saints?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
You probably can if you throw stupid amounts of money around. Chelsea seem to be doing OK with theirs - but don't they do it by signing up just about every youngster going?

??? Other than fringe player Loftus-Cheek which of their first team squad came from their academy? I believe they have an atrocious record, possibly the worst in the league!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8657672 said:
??? Other than fringe player Loftus-Cheek which of their first team squad came from their academy? I believe they have an atrocious record, possibly the worst in the league!

Think the entire concept of an academy may now be obsolete. The top divisions just buy players in from any old where, even The Netherlands, and the lower divisions can't shoulder the long term cost of running an academy. The academy model might have worked in the olden days, but the game's moved on, and now runs on an instant results basis.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

The question wasn't about first team squad, it was about the academy producing players.

Off the top of my head, Chalobah, Mount, Tomori, Zouma, Ake are all playing regular PL or Championship football and have all come through the academy. I'm sure there are many more

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Think the entire concept of an academy may now be obsolete. The top divisions just buy players in from any old where, even The Netherlands, and the lower divisions can't shoulder the long term cost of running an academy. The academy model might have worked in the olden days, but the game's moved on, and now runs on an instant results basis.

Academies now make money for the big clubs rather than supply players? Funding, to a degree, player purchases from other clubs. Occasionaly a gem may make the first team from the academy.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

Depends how you look at it. It's probably worth considering Chelsea's academy as a side business unrelated to the first team. It may have not been the original intention, but that's pretty much what it is now. Recent sales: Nathan Ake £20m, Ryan Bertrand £10m, Thorgan Hazard £5.6m, Patrick Bamford £5.5m, plus numerous other smaller sales. And don't forget the loan fees they get for the 30 or 40 players they have loaned out every season. That probably covers most of their academy wages. I'd imagine only the Man City academy rivals Chelsea's in terms of expenditure, but even so I doubt it's run at much of a loss, maybe it even turns a small profit.

Depressing that they never seem to have a manager who can see what they have right under their noses though. Probably the best place for a young footballer to be up until 18 or 19, but after that they should leave at the first opportunity.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
The question wasn't about first team squad, it was about the academy producing players.

Off the top of my head, Chalobah, Mount, Tomori, Zouma, Ake are all playing regular PL or Championship football and have all come through the academy. I'm sure there are many more

We've had Cook, Dunk, March, Elphick, Hall off the top of my head, but I get your point. Dull state of affairs for Chelsea fans, it can't be nice fielding a team that has absolutely zero home grown players in it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Academies now make money for the big clubs rather than supply players? Funding, to a degree, player purchases from other clubs. Occasionaly a gem may make the first team from the academy.

I understand the individual words of your post, if not the sense of them. How does this apparent funding work? And how does it provide a pay-off to the nurturing club?

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
About a week, I presume. International break after their home game with Watford on Saturday, which is the classic time for sacking managers.

Hughes will be fine. The new striker they have lined up is the business. He comes on the personal recommendation of George Weah, so he must be good.....

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Hughes will be fine. The new striker they have lined up is the business. He comes on the personal recommendation of George Weah, so he must be good.....
Now that was funny. Wasn't it Souness in charge? Brought him on for about ten minutes, realised he couldn't actually play football at all and subbed him off. [emoji23]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here