Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Sky vs Virgin Media - any views/experiences ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For anyone who lives in Burgess Hill, the Virgin Media cavalry have arrived following the months of dug-up pavements....now getting bombarded with calls to switch from Sky (previously had no real alternative)

What are peoples experiences of the two suppliers ? Whilst Sky is expensive (they're already offering to recontract at much lower prices, albeit not as low as Virgin are offering) I've found the service very reliable and any issues have always been sorted very quickly (new router, boxes etc). In addition, the Virgin V6 boxes need hard-cabling around the house apparently

Can't decide whether go to go for the Virgin deal, or simply use them to screw a better deal out of Sky and avoid the hassle of changing everything. Thoughts welcomed, particularly from anyone who has made the switch (either way)

I currently have everything via Sky - broadband (pro - gets me about 65mb speed - Virgin claim 350mb), landline, full TV package to 3 HD boxes (and pay for BT Sport separately which can be included in the Virgin deal)

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
quite surprised that despite digging up the whole town to go on the hard sell, the guy's best offer was the standard website price. Didn't bother with it

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Have had Virgin Media since it was NTL and had no real problems apart from occasional dropouts that any service gets. Free speed upgrades on internet connection too and, as they retain the ownership of the equipment, free repairs too if their equipment is at fault (I know that this wasn't the case in the past with Sky, don't know about now).

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Yes I saw that.........it's still less than half what I'm currently paying though.......
Another reason we decided against it was that last year we got an annual now tv pass on black Friday for 180 quid which has done wonders, not actually fussed about other channels tbh

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
VM broadband speeds are far superior when it works, recently I came close to leaving VM for Sky but the third engineer in as many months finally it seems has sited my BB out , I have 2 v6 boxes and can watch my lounge recordings in the bedroom now too!

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
........simply use them to screw a better deal out of Sky and avoid the hassle of changing everything.

As a Sky user that swapped to VM fpr a year,the VM tv interface is awful. The killer for me though is that recordings record to a set time, not the program like it does on Sky. So if a program starts late, the VM recording starts on the set time and finishes on time set.

Steve_PPP

Oct 24, 2017
Burgess Hill
For anyone who lives in Burgess Hill, the Virgin Media cavalry have arrived following the months of dug-up pavements....now getting bombarded with calls to switch from Sky (previously had no real alternative)

What are peoples experiences of the two suppliers ? Whilst Sky is expensive (they're already offering to recontract at much lower prices, albeit not as low as Virgin are offering) I've found the service very reliable and any issues have always been sorted very quickly (new router, boxes etc). In addition, the Virgin V6 boxes need hard-cabling around the house apparently

In Burgess Hill but haven't had the displeasure of Virgin digging up our pavements yet. They only got resurfaced last year, yet I'm fully expecting Virgin to do a crap job patching up their trenches....

What have Sky offered you to re-contract? And was it a case of phoning and threatening to leave for VM before getting a deal from their retentions team? I can't see me leaving Sky as they just have the best product imo - the box, the interface etc, last time I used a VM box I just found it clunky. I guess its all personal preference but I'd happily take a chance to save a few quid on the monthly Sky bill!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Regardless of who you choose, remember to use a cashback site [Quidco / Topcashback] when joining.

Currently TCB offering £125 to join Virgin media, £95 Sky

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Been with Virgin for years and never had any problems - until recently, when our wifi has been dropping out and rebooting several times an evening. Phoned the company and was told there was a problem in our area.

"Fine, any idea when it'll be resolved?"

"Yes, March 2019."

Sky being installed next month.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Virgin's stuff is shit. Got the new box in the bedroom but the Wifi constantly drops out (if it's working at all) and I can't use it to record, or even see what's coming up on the telly. Moving house soon and will ditch them.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
In Burgess Hill but haven't had the displeasure of Virgin digging up our pavements yet. They only got resurfaced last year, yet I'm fully expecting Virgin to do a crap job patching up their trenches....

What have Sky offered you to re-contract? And was it a case of phoning and threatening to leave for VM before getting a deal from their retentions team? I can't see me leaving Sky as they just have the best product imo - the box, the interface etc, last time I used a VM box I just found it clunky. I guess its all personal preference but I'd happily take a chance to save a few quid on the monthly Sky bill!

LOL you must have the only pristine pavement in Burgess Hill - Virgin seem to have dug up most of the town over the last few months.

I'm in discussion (online chat) with Sky at the moment, they're pushing an upgrade to Sky Q instead of confirming a new price for what I currently have although so far they've suggested they'll drop about £50/month. One of the big cost advantages with Virgin is the inclusion of BT Sport - apparently this will be hooked up as part of Sky next year but they don't know how much they'll charge for it.

Given the negative comments about Virgin and my - so far - decent experience with the Sky kit I'm leaning towards just leaving things as they are and getting a reduced price for 12 months, then review it again - sure by then a few neighbours will have switched and it'll be easier to compare.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
SkyQ is awesome. Get it. I upgraded as a sky vip and got it for £20 and £50 per month with kids and sports. Cheaper than I was paying before.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The Virgin box UI is terrible compared to Sky, in my experience. Had it installed for a days before cancelling, a few years ago.

Amazed to hear a friend say the new box is just as bad.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Have been with Virgin Media about 4 years now, nothing really to complain about.

You will always find people with good/bad experiences of all companies.

If your current service is fine and you can get a better contract then I would say it's best to stick with what you know! Unless you want extremely fast broadband!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
The Virgin box UI is terrible compared to Sky, in my experience. Had it installed for a days before cancelling, a few years ago.

Amazed to hear a friend say the new box is just as bad.

The V6 Virgin box is much faster and has a smaller footprint than the old one, but yes the UI needs a lick of paint!

Best Foot Forward

Apr 29, 2008
Burgess Hill
I live in Burgess Hill, and last week took the plunge to move to the VIP Virgin Media package. I have got Sky Q, which is brilliant when it works, but unfortunately I suffer with tall trees blocking the line of sight. Great in winter, but signal goes to pot in Spring. Also use TalkTalk (hopeless) for broadband and phone.

VM offered a discount on the monthly fee, plus an initial credit on my account. Compared to Sky & TalkTalk, I will be saving around £30 a month, and will also have BT Sports in addition to all the usual Sky channels I have been used to.....plus much faster fibre speed compared to TalkTalk.

I signed the VM contract electronically on Friday afternoon, and around 30 minutes later a couple of guys turned up to install the box on the outside of the house, with the full install arranged for the end of November (my choice).

Impressed so far.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here