Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Bonfire Tonight?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Check for Hedgehogs then you heartless buggers.

Thanks.

Indeed, we can look at our Ultra HD documentaries in horror at turtles caught in plastic in far flung places and tut at the destruction caused by disregard to the natural environment by third world economies, or any economy for that matter, but we can hardly stand on any moral high ground if we cannot protect the numbers of our dwindling native hedgehogs.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
and from news stories in past week, keep children indoors, dont let fireworks off if within 500 yds of pets or elderly.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patreon
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
hedgehog-flavoured-crisps.jpg

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
Do they still exist?

These were "invented" in The Vaults, Welshpool, a pub we used to go to as a family for meals on a reasonably regular basis. Originally they were a kind of herby salt and vinegar flavour and served in a brown paper bag. My brother loved them, I thought they were disgusting. They were named when the landlord said during a lock in "we've got to call them something" and one of the locals replied "oh bloody hedgehog" and it stuck.
Trading standards got involved and said you can't call them that, as they don't taste anything like hedgehog. Food technologists were contacted and they developed various flavours. The problem was that hedgehogs are a protected species and it is illegal to kill and cook them. Clandestinely the Romany community were consulted as it is traditional for them to bake the spiny ones in clay and they chose the one which was the most authentic.
I'm pretty sure they don't exist anymore but I still have my Hedgehog Crisps at the Vaults t-shirt knocking around somewhere.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here