Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] National League North.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Had a little look at the latest table and not just the names of some of those clubs and history along with some of the attendances these clubs attract the running costs and budgets must be phenomenal for so called Non League. Most of the National League is full-time and I believe several in National North. Watching Macclesfield Town around a dozen times+ last season and clinching promotion (and unless they change things around quickly going straight back down) without doubt the top of the National League is a far higher standard than the lower half of league Two.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
It’s frightening to see all those ex-league clubs. Makes me feel a bit nostalgic for the old days. Went to Sealand Road and Haig Avenue watching the Albion. Where do Southport go if they get relegated again from here as looks possible?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Had a little look at the latest table and not just the names of some of those clubs and history along with some of the attendances these clubs attract the running costs and budgets must be phenomenal for so called Non League. Most of the National League is full-time and I believe several in National North. Watching Macclesfield Town around a dozen times+ last season and clinching promotion (and unless they change things around quickly going straight back down) without doubt the top of the National League is a far higher standard than the lower half of league Two.

The fact Macclesfield strolled the league last year and are really struggling, would suggest that perhaps it isn’t.

Lincoln and Tranmere (who both have infrastructure) aside, I also follow this, and most of the teams seem to struggle, Grimsby, F.Green (better this year), Barnet who got relegated.

The standards are often compared, but for me it isn’t a higher standard....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Macclesfield Town,lost manager Askey and employed Yates,squad never strengthened and cash strapped,yet IMHO the top few sides in the National League try and do play football,and are better than lower league Two.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Macclesfield Town,lost manager Askey and employed Yates,squad never strengthened and cash strapped,yet IMHO the top few sides in the National League try and do play football,and are better than lower league Two.

The top of the National League is very exciting. Orient, Wrexham, Salford....
I mean Harrogate seemingly came from nowhere.

Whilst we may not agree re levels, I do think a third team should go up.

I’m hoping Aldershot put a run together.....

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I believe Harrogate went full time whilst in NL North and will all know about Flyde and Salford City.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

You might be interested in these sites ;)

Screenshot_20181104-093827.jpg

http://www.fanbase-links.co.uk/football_blogs.html

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I watched Bradford Park Avenue win 6-0 at Nuneaton Boro last week. It was the first time I had seen the club of that name since they drew 2-2 at the Goldstone in 1964-65 in front of over 20,000 people in Div 4. They were big competitors during that memorable (Bobby Smith) season.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There are relatively big clubs in National League, it's quite concerning for them really. Teams that we weren't too long ago competing against. Wrexham, Orient, Hartlepool, Barnet, Chesterfield, Aldershot, and more.

I really think the FL should do more to support these clubs. I would suggest creating a new League Three. I think it would be great to see more Premier League money trickle down the leagues at the same time.

But conversely make it harder for those part time clubs that get into the National like Havant&Waterlooville this season to compete. Balance to be drawn, the National has 4 relegated but only two promoted and you couldn’t add a tier below and expect those smaller clubs to travel nationally.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
This just demonstrates why the proposed European elite breakaway league with no relegation goes against the very heart of football. Clubs have the dream and route to move up through the pyramid and to go the opposite way. No doubt some of the previous league teams now looking to recover their status are still a name to tick off for supporters of teams that gavecalways been at these lower levels

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
But conversely make it harder for those part time clubs that get into the National like Havant&Waterlooville this season to compete. Balance to be drawn, the National has 4 relegated but only two promoted and you couldn’t add a tier below and expect those smaller clubs to travel nationally.

But that’s just how it’s going. The NL teams have to throw money at it to compete.

For me there is a natural pecking order at most levels, and teams need to live by their means. By having 3 up, it would expose perennial league strugglers whilst give recently relegated teams the chance to bounce back.

If a team has invested heavily they will come unstuck and go back through the divisions as it will be unsustainable.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
If Worthing FC continue as they are doing there is a real possibility they could be in National League South next season.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I watched Bradford Park Avenue win 6-0 at Nuneaton Boro last week. It was the first time I had seen the club of that name since they drew 2-2 at the Goldstone in 1964-65 in front of over 20,000 people in Div 4. They were big competitors during that memorable (Bobby Smith) season.

Bradford Park Avenue. Another team that sent me a scarf and program after that very game back then when I wrote to the manager praising them as a ten year old

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
For those of us trying to do the 92, it is an absolute bleeder when some northern club drops out, and you have to do travel hundreds of miles to get back to where you started.
I was up to mid-fifties at one time, now back to about 48.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Top sides in any league do try and play football more than the teams at the bottom of any league, who will just be scrabbling around to avoid relegation.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There are relatively big clubs in National League, it's quite concerning for them really. Teams that we weren't too long ago competing against. Wrexham, Orient, Hartlepool, Barnet, Chesterfield, Aldershot, and more.

I really think the FL should do more to support these clubs. I would suggest creating a new League Three. I think it would be great to see more Premier League money trickle down the leagues at the same time.
Changing the name of the league won't make any difference. And as for PL money trickling down.........the clue is in the name: PL money. It's their's, and they ain't going to let go a penny of it if they can help it; after all, they need every penny they can get to pay £100K or more a week to some players, poor things.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
That league is really odd for me, as a teenager I was watching Derby play the likes of York, Darlo etc. I was also watching Belper Town play the likes of Guiseley, Alfreton and Curzon Ashton and now they're all in this league, not sure how I feel about it - One one hand it shows the strength (and uniqueness) of our pyramid, on the other it's incredibly sad to see a teams like York and Darlo struggling like that. But for the grace of god and all that.....

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Disagree with both your points.

£100m a year already goes from Premier League to lower league clubs, on top of the £243m parachute payments. This could and should be increased.

Introducing a new league, rebranding it if you like, would make a huge difference. Take the rebranding of the Championship for example, which has quite visibly increased the reputation of the old Division One. Having a League Three would encourage all kinds of media to show greater interest the fifth tier, rather than now while it's merely considered "non league".

The Championship is still just the second division. Different name, that's all.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here