Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Remembrance a week early in the Prem

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Why, when there is a full fixture list over remembrance weekend, has there been so much poppy wearing and last posting in the premier league this weekend.

I fully support the British legion, spent this morning selling poppies with my son. I just don’t understand what’s happening today...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's not reality, it's a franchise, profiteering for the wrong reasons. They're just reminding you to think they're best when the reality is clearly the opposite, and they take all the credit.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Because next week, the teams that held sevices today, are playing away ,..unless your Brighton&HA and have 2 away games on the trot

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why, when there is a full fixture list over remembrance weekend, has there been so much poppy wearing and last posting in the premier league this weekend.

I fully support the British legion, spent this morning selling poppies with my son. I just don’t understand what’s happening today...

If you don't get in early you'll be accused of supporting the IRA. Fact.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

What a depressing post. Why, when you claim you are selling poppies, do you object to people remembering those that died? As someone else posted, most clubs will be either away this week and home next or vice versa so that gives their regular fans the chance to show their respect.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
What a depressing post. Why, when you claim you are selling poppies, do you object to people remembering those that died? As someone else posted, most clubs will be either away this week and home next or vice versa so that gives their regular fans the chance to show their respect.

Thanks. An earlier poster gave a clear explanation. Now I understand.

Not sure whereabouts I objected, just didn’t get it all being a week early.

Sorry to have depressed you.

Btw Your sneering despair makes you come across as a right Jeremy Hunt.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

There is a legitimate point. I know that some people can't get enough of remembrance and would wear their poppy all year round given half the chance, for others it is a poignant issue, and not something they particularly want to run on for days or weeks. My dad served in the war, saw it all, and ten minutes or so of solemnity on the telly, including the last post, was plenty enough for him. The modern day two weeks of every bugger on the telly (and radio) wearing a prop poppy pinned on by the make-up girl would have had him worked up into one of his legendary rants. And for the record, I am not a supporter of the IRA.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Can't see what was depressing, or even anything objecting in the OP. I too wondered why there was a minute's silence and the last post yesterday, when there's matches next weekend. Most of these things are on the weekend nearest the 11th, and unusually, the 11th is on a Sunday this year - so I was expecting the pre-match commemoration to be next weekend, not this. So, a fair question, and well answered by other posters. Just what I turn to NSC for.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Are players made to wear the red poppy if its pre printed on their shirt? Do they have a choice?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

It’s so important to be seen to be showing respect more than just showing respect I’m afraid.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

I’ll be less patronising... this happens every year - teams only get one chance to show their respect at home and sometimes it comes earlier than rememberance weekend. You can’t do it late, so you have to do it early. Unfortunately for those in the armed forces in Brighton, we won’t have a chance to do it. If we had done it against wolves it would’ve been far far too early.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
There is a legitimate point. I know that some people can't get enough of remembrance and would wear their poppy all year round given half the chance, for others it is a poignant issue, and not something they particularly want to run on for days or weeks. My dad served in the war, saw it all, and ten minutes or so of solemnity on the telly, including the last post, was plenty enough for him. The modern day two weeks of every bugger on the telly (and radio) wearing a prop poppy pinned on by the make-up girl would have had him worked up into one of his legendary rants. And for the record, I am not a supporter of the IRA.

Can't help feeling you're skirting around the issue here HWT. Are you, or are you not, an IRA sympathiser?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Well maybe it was the way you phrased your opening post that made it appear you weren't happy with what you see as an extension of remembrance weekend!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here