• Apart from amputees yes it does

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I was brought up by atheists, I am an atheist.

But I did go to Brighton College where they tried to force religion down us at every opportunity, so at the time I had the philosophy that 'I might as well say amen, it can't hurt'. Hedging my bets if you will.

Anyway I well remember the 1990 World Cup, I was 16 and England were playing Cameroon in the quarter-finals. We were into the last ten minutes and England were losing 2-1. So I did it. I prayed. 'Please God, let England score a goal'. I'm pretty sure that we were awarded a penalty within about 30 seconds of amen.

Emboldened by this I did the same part way through extra time. I think it took a couple of minutes this time before Lineker got his second of the game.

So, it works. However I also remember feeling very guilty and decided that praying should be saved for sick people and the like. If I'd had the courage of my convictions maybe we'd have won the World Cup :shrug:

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Praying is a ritual form of "magick" as practiced by organised religions. Another example is the visualisation and positive thinking recommended by the Law of Attraction type stuff. It is easy to look at modern religions and their practices and think that they are pointless. They are often ineffective as they have become form without substance, and yet another hierarchical human control vehicle.

Anyone who has looked under the hood a bit deeper into stuff like the western mysteries, kabbalah and "magick" knows that there is something there, and to dismiss its existence is ignorant. Maybe the modern form of prayer doesn't work, but there are deeper invocations that do. Not suggesting anyone tries - it can be scary stuff for those not properly tutored.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think we need to put this to a test. So if everyone can pray for me to win the National Lottery jackpot tomorrow we can then see if praying works.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Blimey excuse me for asking ......as I said ''curious'' maybe there was a reason behind it that was interesting....nevermind...have a good day though :thumbsup:

Actually it does make me wonder if praying works as evangelicals will testify it does, why do people get cured of bad backs,cancer and other ailments and yet no amputee has ever had a limb grow back after praying for it........whats that all about?

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
In the Christian tradition, prayer is part of a relationship with God, so it's much wider than just asking for stuff. So not sure the question is right, really.
Do I pray? Yes. Have I had prayers answered? Yes. All of them? No. Do I understand why? Sometimes. Sometimes not. Am I good at it? No, not really.
Do I think it's a waste of time? No, because praying changes me, I think. That's my experience.
Jesus thought it was a good idea, so I'm in. :thumbsup:

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
it's nonsense. End of thread.

In truth probably not but when my son was diagnosed with cancer ( nhs leg pain) I remember praying crying please God make him better most nights . He’s comming up for 5 years clear . Does praying work as said probably not did it help absolutely bloody yes . Each to there own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
In truth probably not but when my son was diagnosed with cancer ( nhs leg pain) I remember praying crying please God make him better most nights . He’s comming up for 5 years clear . Does praying work as said probably not did it help absolutely bloody yes . Each to there own

unless you're saying there was no medical care, reckon the NHS have more responsibility in his recovery.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Wouldn't argue with you for one minute on that score. I'm genuinely happy that your son is healthy.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
During WW2 there was a national call to pray during our darkest days with defeat looming in northern France. People literally queued up outside churches and cathedrals. 250,000 men were saved at Dunkirk under circumstances considered by many historians to be a miracle. Particularly the order to stop the German advance for 3 days, weather that grounded the Luftwaffe and then a strangely calm sea that allowed 800 boats to rescue the men. Full story.... https://www.canonjjohn.com/blog/2017/07/194/national-day-of-prayer-during-dunkirk-1940

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's an existential question really.

Does it work for a person of faith to say prayers that may make them happy, in better mental health, and a general feeling of well being, then yes of course it works.

Does it work that some kind of omniscient deity is going to answer and deliver on what you've asked for, no of course not.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Praying is a ritual form of "magick" as practiced by organised religions. Another example is the visualisation and positive thinking recommended by the Law of Attraction type stuff. It is easy to look at modern religions and their practices and think that they are pointless. They are often ineffective as they have become form without substance, and yet another hierarchical human control vehicle.

Anyone who has looked under the hood a bit deeper into stuff like the western mysteries, kabbalah and "magick" knows that there is something there, and to dismiss its existence is ignorant. Maybe the modern form of prayer doesn't work, but there are deeper invocations that do. Not suggesting anyone tries - it can be scary stuff for those not properly tutored.
This sounds fascinating! Sod praying, tell me more about scary deep invocations please.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here