Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Bill Of Rights for the homeless in Brighton!!

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/171...ll-of-rights-for-homeless-people-in-brighton/

Why not print some glossy leaflets to hand out to the homeless everywhere in the country to attract even more homeless people to Brighton!!
That utter dick Lloyd Russell-Moyle loving nothing better than jumping on some cause to make himself look even more ‘right on’!
He and his moral high horse brigade jumping onto a cause that will put more financial burden on the local council...that he in turn bitches and moans hasn’t got enough money as it is.....but he will no doubt then make it out to be nobody but the Government’s fault there’s not enough money!

Oct 25, 2003
The bill includes giving homeless people the same rights as most other citizens including the right to housing, shelter, sanitary facilities, emergency services and the right to vote and have data protection.

Good.

Quite- what’s the problem with the exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/171...ll-of-rights-for-homeless-people-in-brighton/

Why not print some glossy leaflets to hand out to the homeless everywhere in the country to attract even more homeless people to Brighton!!
That utter dick Lloyd Russell-Moyle loving nothing better than jumping on some cause to make himself look even more ‘right on’!
He and his moral high horse brigade jumping onto a cause that will put more financial burden on the local council...that he in turn bitches and moans hasn’t got enough money as it is.....but he will no doubt then make it out to be nobody but the Government’s fault there’s not enough money!

Strange that you took the time, effort and vitriol to have a go at the Labour man, yet completely ignored Robert Nemeth (Conservative) who also endorsed the idea and was also at the launch?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
How about a bill of rights to those people scared to walk along the streets of Brighton because the get accosted by these vagabonds for money?
How about a bill of rights to us shop keepers losing around £20 of goods A DAY from these vagabonds through theft?
How about a bill of rights to the street cleaners who have to clear up after them?
How about a bill of rights to the flat owners whose entrances the vagabonds use as toilets?
Don't get me started.

Oct 25, 2003
How about a bill of rights to those people scared to walk along the streets of Brighton because the get accosted by these vagabonds for money?
How about a bill of rights to us shop keepers losing around £20 of goods A DAY from these vagabonds through theft?
How about a bill of rights to the street cleaners who have to clear up after them?
How about a bill of rights to the flat owners whose entrances the vagabonds use as toilets?
Don't get me started.

Begging- illegal
Shoplifting- illegal
Littering- illegal
Public urination- illegal

Aren’t all of these covered by THE LAW?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Begging- illegal
Shoplifting- illegal
Littering- illegal

Indeed they are. But when the OB don't even bother to turn out if your car gets nicked or burglar bill comes visiting, hardly likely they will tackle what the Met Commissioner on Today programme this am called "low level" crime.

The issues you list do impact on a large number of people and SHOULD be addressed by the police. However, I do believe that the aims of the campaign are solid and the genuinely homeless are deserving of the same rights as the rest of us.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Begging- illegal
Shoplifting- illegal
Littering- illegal

agreed, though isnt the point that the law often isnt applied? meanwhile, the "bill of rights" is more of the same, reiterating what is actually already in law? its just grandstanding on an issue thats complex and difficult to resolve

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The bill includes giving homeless people the same rights as most other citizens including the right to housing, shelter, sanitary facilities, emergency services and the right to vote and have data protection.

Good.

Wait. Who's stopping homeless people from voting, having data protection or use of the emergency services?

Seeing as Homeless people are already citizens, don't they already have the right to such things already? Why do they need a bill or rights for something they already have?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Wait. Who's stopping homeless people from voting, having data protection or use of the emergency services?

Seeing as Homeless people are already citizens, don't they already have the right to such things already? Why do they need a bill or rights for something they already have?

Genuine question - how does someone get on to the electrol roll without an address ?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Indeed they are. But when the OB don't even bother to turn out if your car gets nicked or burglar bill comes visiting, hardly likely they will tackle what the Met Commissioner on Today programme this am called "low level" crime.

The issues you list do impact on a large number of people and SHOULD be addressed by the police. However, I do believe that the aims of the campaign are solid and the genuinely homeless are deserving of the same rights as the rest of us.

agreed, though isnt the point that the law often isnt applied? meanwhile, the "bill of rights" is more of the same, reiterating what is actually already in law? its just grandstanding on an issue thats complex and difficult to resolve

I've seen begging cases go through the magistrates courts.

Oct 25, 2003
Genuine question - how does someone get on to the electrol roll without an address ?

Most rough sleepers use a care of address- usually one of the day centres

When I worked in a day Centre we definitely had rough sleepers use our address to register to vote (bit of a loophole to be honest)

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Yeah I mean, they do have access / rights to all of these things.

But if this thing, publicity stunt or not, gets more visibility on a problem we absolutely should not have then I'm all for it.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Don't get me started.

If you ran as Prime minister, you would get my vote.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008

Another load of b0llocks, as we watch our once great country go to the dogs.

Oct 25, 2003

I don’t think anyone’s stopping them- but rough sleeping certainly acts as a barrier to all of the above.

As mentioned elsewhere this looks like a bit of a publicity stunt than anything particularly binding but those coming up with it seem to be doing it from the right place

D

Deleted member 22389

Watched a programme a few months back. One homeless chap moaning about the number of foreign homeless people who make it harder for them to get shelter, and I agree. If someone comes to this country looking for work and unfortunately ends up on the streets it makes the whole situation worse for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Another load of b0llocks, as we watch our once great country go to the dogs.

Isn't part of being a "great" country not turning our backs on people who need help?

While we're on the subject what exactly do you think we've lost? Why are we no longer "great"? Because we don't have an Empire any longer? We haven't spanked the Germans in a war for a bit?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here