Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Time for bed

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Recently suffering from neck and back aches so I’m convinced it’s time for a new bed and pillows.
So before I get stuck into researching what’s new in the bed world, any recommendations of a decent make, what to avoid etc.
I’m looking for a king or super king as my Mrs seems to jump on my back as soon as I turn over to go to sleep, so might be a bit of “no mans”land in the middle.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Have you got a high budget for the mattress?

Pillows - go for John Lewis synthetic extra firm. Supports the head, allowing the neck to relax. Soft or feathery pillows are bad.

Haven’t thought about a budget, whatever it takes I suppose seeing the amount of time we spend in bed. I’m not keen on feathery pillows, I have a memory foam pillow at the moment.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Based on a Which? recommendation we got an IKEA mattress. Only about £250, and really comfortable, but only if you prefer a firmer mattress.

Which? ranked it higher than many others worth well over £1000.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
All depends on personal preference. I work at Benson's in Worthing, feel free to pop in at some point. We have loads to choose from ranging from anything between 200 and 2000

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
After staying in a Premier Inn for the Newcastle match I reckon a Hypnos mattress with a memory topper should be high on the list.....

We have a firm mattress at home but OMG. Don't think I moved all night......

But I have a 4 year old girl. So usually up at crack of dawn most days so not being disturbed (or awake thinking I'm going to be disturbed) may have helped.....

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Recently suffering from neck and back aches so I’m convinced it’s time for a new bed and pillows.
So before I get stuck into researching what’s new in the bed world, any recommendations of a decent make, what to avoid etc.
I’m looking for a king or super king as my Mrs seems to jump on my back as soon as I turn over to go to sleep, so might be a bit of “no mans”land in the middle.

All about the mattress. We tried a few of the hybrid and memory foam ones and settled for Simba. Absolutely best decision ever.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Soft/Medium for me. I have a bad back and everyone said "firm!!". I bought a firm mattress and it almost crippled me.

I bought our last one at the John Lewis clearance outlet in Swindon 3-4 years back. Reduced from £3500 to £800. I'm lucky in that I was driving a LWB Merc Sprinter and my best mate at the time lived in Swindon (oh, and I could afford it!).

It would appear that with mattresses you very much get what you pay for. My Sister, bless her, isn't very well off and paid £50 for the mattress in her spare room. Whenever I go to stay, sleep in that bed, then get up in the morning it's like scene from 'Walking Dead' as I try and walk it off....

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Based on a Which? recommendation we got an IKEA mattress. Only about £250, and really comfortable, but only if you prefer a firmer mattress.

Which? ranked it higher than many others worth well over £1000.

We've got an Ikea bed and mattress. There are several different types of mattress firmness or softness. The size is European king size which is slightly larger than king size.
We love it and it's the best bed we've ever slept on.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
We've recently purchased an Eve memory foam king size mattress, it's very comfortable. I do like a bargain, so rather than pay the £700 they want on the Eve website we got ours ( brand new and boxed ) via Ebay for £300 inc delivery.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Had memory foam for last 12 years....been through 3 mattresses as all have them have ended up with dips on each side...even a £1500 mattress!!!!!
Went back to proper pocket sprung mattress few months ago...Silent Night..No 5 firmness....wish I'd gone back years ago!!!...(also better for...bedroom gymnastics..???)
£700 from Bensons!

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Had memory foam for last 12 years....been through 3 mattresses as all have them have ended up with dips on each side...even a £1500 mattress!!!!!
Went back to proper pocket sprung mattress few months ago...Silent Night..No 5 firmness....wish I'd gone back years ago!!!...(also better for...bedroom gymnastics..???)
£700 from Bensons!

Can you elaborate? Pics will be fine, just not of you. [emoji848]

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
£700 from Bensons!

We've got a hypnos and it says it should develop dips:shrug:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Got my super king bed at Wayfair but my pillow top mattress here:
https://www.soakandsleep.com
One of the greatest purchases I’ve ever made. Look online for discount codes too.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016

Just pop along to the Brighton Bed Centre in Portland Road, Hove - local business, very well-made beds in just about any combination you could want, good prices. I won't go anywhere else

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Just pop along to the Brighton Bed Centre in Portland Road, Hove - local business, very well-made beds in just about any combination you could want, good prices. I won't go anywhere else

Thanks , but I’m not local to Sussex.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

All you are to get is "I've got one of these and it's great" sort of comments. Everyone is different, you should go to a supplier (who hopefully knows what they're talking about) and try out, as best you can as many as possible. John Lewis generally know their stuff

I agree the comments "you get what you pay for"

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here