Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Neil Lennon

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't doubt what you're saying about Lennon as a person. But in black and white terms, Lennon did something inadvisable whereas the person who threw the coin at another human committed a criminal offence. They're just not on the same level, whatever context you try and give it. And if you think they are, then you're taking football far, far too seriously.

One is a clear cut criminal charge. The other is a clear cut football charge.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
One is a clear cut criminal charge. The other is a clear cut football charge.

Exactly. But doing something that's deserving of a football charge does not merit being on the receiving end of a criminal act. Not ever. And anyone that suggests it does needs to take a seriously long look at their priorities in life.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
"Wilfried Zaha is furious that he didn't get a penalty when Neil Lennon was hit by a coin in another country. The Springboard champion said in an opportunist interview 'the coin thrower had admitted to me that it made contact, when are they going to protect me ?'
His grandfather, Roy, who died in early 2017, claimed to be confused by, well, everything"

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Typical non-league football shenanigans.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's a fierce local derby. Passions run high. Sectarianism is involved (Hibs are Cafflik, Hearts are not). Lennon's been around the block of all that s**t long enough to know better. Probably too late for him to learn any class as a manager or a person tho eh?

Seems like a calm quiet game to me. :rolleyes:

Hearts keeper Zdenek Zlamal was also "punched" by a fan while both assistant referees, Frank Connor and David McGeachie, were struck by objects.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
He get loads of abuse both racist and religious abuse shouted at him and has been attacked before by Hearts fans. The West of Scotland still has a problem with sectarianism and Hearts are called diet-huns by Celtic fans because they are mini-Rangers culturally. Neil Lennon was liked down here, most of the clubs he was at but as soon as he went to Scotland that changed and that's because they still have the attitude of a Irish Catholic should know his place especially one from the North so they hated him as he always stood up for himself. Scotland is backwards in so many ways.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree with all the posts - huge ban for the thrower and a criminal case. Lennon was inciteful and should be hauled before the SFA at least, what an immatuture moron; with experience of the Old Firm he should act like a responsible adult.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Thought that as well, and watching on SSN today he was acting like a complete cock towards the Hearts fans.

That said, still not right though and hope they catch and ban the tosser who threw it.

In a similar vein to the Mr Tumble thread. However much of a cock Mr Tumble is, he does not deserve to suffer (alleged ) racial abuse. However much of a cock Lennon is, he doesn't deserve to have coins thrown at him. To coin :D a phrase......it could have had his eye out.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
There was more trouble than usual in the Celtic v Hearts semi as well, not sure this is an indicator of rise in sectarian issues or the fact that Celtic are not dominating the scene up there.

Lennon is like he is because of his background , he should as the manager have had more decorum.

Interesting to see what the comments on here might be if he had been our manager in a game against Palace and they had a goal disallowed in last minute.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Shame it wasn't a space hopper

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
There should be no violence in Stadiums whatsoever - However, Lennon himself deserves to be punished for intentionally inciting fan trouble.

Its less than 2 weeks since people pundits and those in the media slaughtered the Chelsea coach for goading Jose Mourhino. Mourhino came out of that one a ''victim'' - He wasn't a ''victim'' and neither are the Hearts fans. In both situations all partiers were aggressors.

Football brings out such strong emotions. It does in me anyhow but I never feel the need to act like a Knob-edd.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
He get loads of abuse both racist and religious abuse shouted at him and has been attacked before by Hearts fans. The West of Scotland still has a problem with sectarianism and Hearts are called diet-huns by Celtic fans because they are mini-Rangers culturally. Neil Lennon was liked down here, most of the clubs he was at but as soon as he went to Scotland that changed and that's because they still have the attitude of a Irish Catholic should know his place especially one from the North so they hated him as he always stood up for himself. Scotland is backwards in so many ways.

As a Hearts fan I take exception to being called a diet Hun. We have a small but vocal minority in our club who espouse similar views to Rangers fans. I know scores of Hearts fans and none of them identify with Rangers. Celtic fans look at everything through the prism of the sectarian divide in Glasgow, and because of a small minority of our fans we are all tarred by Celtic with that brush. In the same way, Rangers fans regard Hibs fans as mini-Tims because a small minority of them take the Irish tricolour to the games.

As for the incident the other night, there is no doubt that Neil Lennon antics in the technical area at just about every game he is involved in are pretty inflammatory. On Wednesday night, after a very tousy game where he had been shouting the odds at the ref, gesticulating at Hearts players and generally acting like an arse as usual, he chose to give it the "come ahead" routine in front of the main stand at Tynecastle when our goal was chalked off in injury time. I don't think it is unreasonable to call it goading. I also think Lennon should reflect on his behaviour in general at football games.

I don't buy this "he is hated in Scotland because he is in Irish catholic" nonsense. Martin O'Neill was never disliked as much as Lennon is. There are plenty of Irish Catholics playing in Scotland, including Jimmy Dunne who is on loan at Hearts from Burnley and was the man of the match the other night for Hearts. Jimmy is loved by the Hearts support.

Whilst a lot of Rangers fans hate Lennon for his upbringing, and probably some Hearts fans, most Hearts fans and a lot of fans of other clubs can't stand him because of his behaviour at football games. My mother, who is in her 70s, brought up a Catholic, from a Hibs family and until quite recently used to go with her partner to Dundee United games, told me yesterday how much she really disliked him and she is not a huge football fan.

Having said all that, Lennon's ridiculous behaviour in no way excuses the actions of the compete ******** who threw a coin at him. It also gave Lennon the perfect opportunity to play the victim card yet again. Unfortunately Hearts do have a number of idiots in our support who occasionally let the club down. The culprit will be banned for life and rightly so. I expect that Hibs will do the same with the idiot who punched our goalie Bobby Zlamal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here